• PG-13, 1 hr. 44 min.

The Vow Reviews

jjnxn
jjnxn

November 21, 2012
A bit gooey but earnestly and engagingly played. Knowing that its based on a true story makes some of the more odd elements easier to accept.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

December 19, 2010
"For some reason I was thinking that this film was going to be a rom-com. Big mistake on my part. It ended up being a rom-dram. I didn't think I would get so swept up in this love story since I'm not a huge fan of romance flicks, but this one got me. The story being based on true events was what really had me thinking about the film differently. It made me like it more. You can't help but feel complete heartache for this couple. I mean to be so in love and to have something that horrendous happen and *SPOILER* to never get the memory of falling in love with you husband, your wedding, and your entire lively hood with this person is just heart breaking.*END OF SPOILER* I also kinda enjoyed that there was no fairy tale ending, even though I wanted one for her. Great acting by Tatum and McAdams. I thought they had great chemistry which is a plus when doing movies like these or the film would have never worked."
Cynthia S

July 1, 2012
Overall, not a bad movie. Certainly not "The Notebook", but it was an ok story about a man who never stopped loving the love of his life, for better or worse. I'm not quite sure if it's the presentation of the story, or Channing Tatum's moderate acting skills, but this movie didn't quite move me like I wanted it to...
Everett J

May 24, 2012
***
"The Vow" is one of those "love conquers all" type chick flicks. Newlyweds Paige(Rachel McAdams) and Leo(Channing Tatum) are sitting at a stop light,when a truck plows into them. Leo is fine, but Paige has suffered some brain damage and can't remember anything from the past five years. Forgetting her relationship with Leo all together, he tries to figure out ways to help her remember, or fall in love with him again. I expected this to be "notebook" meets "50 first dates",and in some ways it is. But really, its just a good,sweet little drama,with enough heart and fluff to not be meladramtic. Adams is great,as she usually excels in romance movies. Tatum is just ok. He is a real movie star, but not a great actor. He's kind of one dimensional in dramas like this, but he does his best. Not saying I don't enjoy his movies, but I just don't think he's reached his potential. Women will love this(i'm pretty sure my wife loved it),and guys will either say 'meh that was ok". Or just skip it altogether. I think it's worth a watch,but in 5 years won't be remembered like "notebook" or "50 first dates".
Tired of Previews
Tired of Previews

February 21, 2012
Question: Have you ever lied to a friend about why you saw a movie? I have. In fact, I told a little fib recently on why I saw The Vow in order to avoid some teasing. My friend asked if I was viewing the movie just for reviewing purposes and not because I wanted to. My response: "I sacrifice for you all". Such a lie...

Bottom line: I am a romantic through and through; and some days I need a sappy, overly-cliched chick-flick to remind me that love is all around in this cynical world that we live in. Is there anything wrong with that? I hope not.

So, I am now confessing, slightly red-cheeked, to the world that I went and saw The Vow because I WANTED TO (There, I said it!). Plus, I have seen an awful lot of "guy" films lately. There are simply times when I need to remember I am a girl and I do like some girl things; and The Vow was the perfect reminder.

I would like to apologize to the male population now: Channing Tatum's character is what we girls dream of - not the looks (or maybe some of you do) but it's his actions towards the woman he loves, in The Vow, that make us weak in the knees and we want you all to be just like that. High standards for you all, I know. Sorry, but that is the honest truth on what "we" desire out of love. And I must apologize to the female population for spilling our secret, but I just had to because we really need to come clean.

The Vow is based on a true story of a young couple who fell in love, got married and started a wonderful life together. One night there was a car accident and the wife (Rachel McAdams) has a traumatic brain injury that erases her memory of the past five years - the years she met, fell in love and had a life with her husband (Channing Tatum). When he discovers she has no memory of him or their life together it hit me hard. He portrayed a man who was just struck where it truly hurt him the most, but he had to remain strong to help her recover, mentally and physically. Channing Tatum did a fantastic job in this role, and it surprised me at how believable his character was to me. I got sucked right into the story because of him.

What happens with the rest of the story will remain a mystery because that is how I do things around here. However, I will tell you guys to check out a few things that might help you understand us gals a little bit better. Think of The Vow as a good training tool for you boys. I am not saying this film will solve the entire mystery of us girls, because even I don't get us some days...haha...but when it comes to romance we are all pretty similar in what we want - simplicity and honesty.

Before memory loss:

The box (and its contents) he gives her while she is at work. So freaking cute.
The reaction he has about her work. That's when you know someone truly loves you.
And in his vows, one word struck me and just adding it in made the vows perfect.
After memory loss:

His understanding, patience and desire to take care of her.
His reaction when he takes her on their second first date. Precious.
The willingness to allow his wife to be who she was, at any moment, even if it wasn't in his best interest. The greatest gift you could give anyone - allowing them to be themselves and not change them to fit your desires.
I will say there were definitely some sappy parts that did not tug at my heart strings, although I did hear many people weeping in the movie theatre. For once I didn't turn into a puddle of mush in a romance film. That kind of shocked me. But all-in-all The Vow was a sweet romance that I hope can teach people an important lesson - allow the person you love to be who they are, no matter what.

Directed by Michael Sucsy, Screen Gems, 2012

Starring:Rachel McAdams, Channing Tatum, Jessica Lange, Scott Speedman and Sam Neill.

Genre: Drama, Romance.

My favorite thing: Channing Tatum.

My least favorite thing: That I didn't have a good cry. I do like having those moments in the theatre - it's cathartic for me but maybe next time.

Rating: PG-13

Length: 104 Minutes

Rating: 6 out of 10
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

May 5, 2012
Inspired by a true story.

Very good movie. Love it, a beautiful story and great acting, Channing Tatum has become a good actor. Rachael McAdams is perfect for this movie. The Vow is believable, and the fact that it is based on true events, make it even more heart warming. The movie was great from start to finish.

Leo and Paige are a couple who just got married. After an accident, Paige is left unconscious, and when she awakes she doesn't remember Leo. Her parents, whom she hasn't since she and Leo got together, come and visit her. She can't believe that she hasn't seen them for such a long time. Leo wants to bring her home with him but her parents want her to go with them. She goes with Leo but when she doesn't recognize anything, she goes to her parents. And she wonders why did she cut off contact with her family. She also runs into her ex and wonders why they broke up. Leo tries to win her back by courting her again.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

April 26, 2012
There's not a lot to this movie, yes its sweet and cute especially the way 'Leo' fought for the one he loved.
It your a sucker for Love stories and like amenisia movies to add to the drama then you'll enjoy this movie.
Other than that you can't really expect much, if anything its a mediocre love story regardless by the fact that its based on a true story. Sam Neill wasn't in this movie enough either so even more disappointed!
Pedro H

April 1, 2012
The Vow

I vow that this is a cute movie, and will not hate on it

The Vow is a cute romantic movie that is the perfect fit for a date. This is not the type of movie you would see alone, its the type of movie you take your date to. If under these conditions, I am pretty sure you might enjoy it.

Paige (McAdams) suffers a car accident, and when she wakes up from her coma, she losses all her memories, inlcuding getting married to Leo (Tatum). It is up to Leo to try and get her heart back.

It is overall a good movie. The acting is ok. The soundtrack is pleasing. But overall its just another one of those romantic movies we see so often nowadays. I recommend it if you are taking someone, but not if you are alone. Unless you really are, forever alone.

Leo: " Life's all about moments, of impact and how they changes our lives forever. But what if one day you could no longer remember any of them? "
Nicki M

February 17, 2012
Nice movie based on a true story of a couple who are in a car accident, leading to the wife totally losing her memory of all the time they were together. For a sad story, this was actually quite romantic with all the flashbacks.
Rachel McAdams, as always, lovely to watch here. Channing Tatum is not the greatest actor and Scott Speedman runs rings around him for charisma, but they made a nice enough couple that you would hope to see them back together.
Without saying too much, the ending, though not entirely ideal, was really sweet.
This is quite a slow movie as it takes time to build the characters. I think it is really one for girls, I can't see a lot of men getting into it somehow.
Alice S

March 6, 2012
I have a soft spot for amnesia love stories, and this one is pretty decent. Channing Tatum is surprisingly light and funny in his mumbly, meathead way, "Can I at least give you an awkward hug?" The journey to "win Paige back" is maddening, difficult, and sacrificial (on Leo's part), and *spoiler* there is a good side-resolution involving Paige's mom's decision to stay with her cheating dad. The movie also doesn't end all Nicholas Sparks-ly (which I originally thought was the source material) in that Paige never does recover her memory.
Liam G

February 18, 2012
Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams have good chemistry on-screen and are surprisingly charming. This makes ''The Vow'' much more bearable than you may expect. My biggest problem with this film is its structure. The big accident in this film happens in the first 3 minutes, just 2 minutes after we are introduced to the characters. This means that we can't care enough about these characters to feel their pain and frustration later in the film. As the film progresses, it wants to delve into some back story but it also wants to show us what happens to the characters after the accident. This means that by the end of the film, it has run out of steam. If we had been introduced to the characters when they first met and have the accident take place about 20 minutes into the film, it would have had much more impact.
The script is fillled with romance clich√ (C)s and the movie drags at times. Though the characters are fairly likeable, due to the actors' performances, but ''The Vow'' runs out of ideas early on, making it pretty mediocre.
Dann M

July 31, 2012
Inspired by a true story, The Vow tells a charming and romantic tale. When a couple gets into a car accident, causing the wife to lose her memory, the husband struggles to help her to remember their marriage. Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum lead the cast and give strong performances. The story gets a bit formulaic at times, but it also goes in some interesting directions that helps to keep it fresh. Though The Vow plays it safe, it still manages to be an entertaining and enjoyable film.
Bradley W

February 19, 2012
The Vow is not a romantic movie, its a tragic movie. This movie tries to pass off as a romantic film but the whole time I just pity these two people, real romance movies like The Notebook or Titanic were at least about two people in love, but these two people are trying to fall back in love and that really depresses me in a way. I mean come on, we get to see two happy souls who fall in love and after her accident all they do is argue and bicker and we wonder if it is even a good thing if they stay together, like I said, that is not romantic, it's depressing. The characters however were what saved the film, they are such good hearted people except for a few jerks but the two main characters were really kind which was made it even harder to watch them go through all that pain and suffering. This film does have a few good things going for it, but overall it was a very depressing movie and a huge disappointment.
The story follows a married couple, Paige (Rachel McAdams) and Leo (Channing Tatum), who suffers a tragedy after Paige, gets amnesia after a car accident. She only remembers a last memory from a couple years back when she was dating another man and this causes trouble for the married couple. Leo plans to win her heart all over again by trying to do everything he did the first time.

The plot (like I said) was very depressing and made me feel sadder then happy to see them together. These are such good people and they spend most of their time crying and trying to live with a complete stranger rather than enjoy there company and learn to love again. I mean you have to be made of stone to not enjoy these characters because of how many few flaws they have but it√√,¬Ę(TM)s still just the way they tell the story with how she can't even remember her husband but she decides to live with him, how her parents are the clich√ (C) parental jerks that you see in these movies, and how they have those stupid friends who give really crappy advice and are just really dull characters. Speaking of the characters, the only ones worth a watch are Paige and Leo mainly because they are the only ones having anything going on, nobody in this film besides them has anything interesting about them which is not a big complaint but I am just noting that don't expect to remember anyone besides them. Overall a very sad movie that is more drama hen romance (if this is what passes for romance).

The cast stars two pretty big actors who are becoming some pretty big names in Hollywood. Rachel McAdams has impressed me with her roles such as Sherlock Holmes, The Notebook, and even Mean Girls and she can play a very good part. Here I can honestly say I enjoyed her acting once more, she has an innocence about her that made her tragedy much more able to understand and pity her more, and I can even say she and Taum have some chemistry but they story focuses too much on making them complete strangers. Channing Tatum is not a bad actor, he has proved that to me in Fighting and Public Enemies, and here he also is just a kind guy who loves this woman and he pulled it off very well, even if the director at times tries hard to make him a sex symbol. The other cast members are not even worth mentioning because they are not given a role important enough to even talk about, but I did enjoy these two stars.

The Vow is that movie you will drag your boyfriend to or you are the boyfriend being dragged into watching it, and I cannot tell you what you will think but I can tell you it certainly will not be the romance movie you hoped for. Now if you want a sad movie, you need to check this out right away but you cannot make a trailer that looks so romantic and then give us a movie that is just an hour and forty minutes of depression. This is inspired by a true couple who went through something like this but I can tell you right now that it was most likely nothing like this. This has just some of those Hollywood romance moments that get girls to come and watch so they can gaze at Channing Tatum, which ruins this good actors career in a way since he is seen as a sex symbol. Just like Robert Patterson, Harry Potter and Water for Elephants showed me he is capable of some good acting but Twilight ruins it for him. This movie may be great for those who loved Dear John or The Holiday (two films I dislike) but as for me I will stick with romantic films that have an emotional payoff and still feel romantic. So overall do not see this I you are hoping for the next big romantic film of the year.
Dannielle A

May 12, 2012
"The Vow" is about true love and fighting for your marriage to work.
Based on a true story, the story begins with a newlywed couple who gets in a car accident. After she wakes up from a coma, the wife has absolutely no idea who her husband is and he must strive to make her fall in love with him all over again.

McAdams and Tatum are charming and talented actors and played their parts very well. It was a heartwarming story that really tugs on ones heartstrings. The powerful, faithful love of the husband Leo was incredibly sweet and so romantic. Worth a look-see.
Jeff B.
Jeff B.

February 24, 2012
Swooning to it's own overly discordant melody, The Vow plays out like a bad Nicholas Sparks movie. The shocker? Sparks never even penned this dreck. It?s neither A Walk to Remember nor romantic lines in a Notebook nor a Dear John letter, but it feels eerily reminiscent of all three in terms of tone, feel, and unambition. Watching this movie instead feels like Sparks spontaneously combusted and his ashes became this screenplay. Oh, it has a good enough premise...for a Lifetime Movie-of-the-Week starring Alyssa Milano. On the big screen, however, the whole amnesia plot point is as old hat as explaining away a whole unfortunately poor season of Dallas as a dream sequence, however thinly veiled on "real events."

In this PG-13-rated drama supposedly based on a true story, a husband (Tatum) begins a difficult courtship with his wife (McAdams) after she loses any memory of their relationship in a car crash.

At times, this reviewer thought that he was perhaps being a bit too harsh in regards to his disdain for this flick. After all, McAdams does a fine job of giving a deer-in-the-headlights look to the goings-on that have seemingly passed her by. And Tatum remembers his lines. It?s the arch plot point and wicked histrionics of McAdams? scheming parents (Sam Neill and Jessica Lange munching up the scenery like a box of chocolates) in the 3rd act that cemented this movie?s unappeal, however. It?s a one-note turn of events for a Valentine?s Day movie that vowed to be something more?namely intelligent.

Bottom line: A walk to forget.
SC007
SC007

February 19, 2012
The film was so so. Rachel McAdams shines in the film. The film needed a rewrite. Channing didn't seem to have a good on screen chemistry with Rachel. I think another actor in that role would have done a better job. I thought he was better here then in Dear John. Jessica Lange and Sam Neil were ok in the film. Jessica reminded me of Gena Rowlands in the film. The film is worth checking out for Rachel McAdams.
Jason Vargo
Jason Vargo

February 19, 2012
Sometimes a movie doesn't have to be exceptional or 4-star to be enjoyable. That's where I am on The Vow. Yes, a lot of events happen in very quick succession in the second half of the film for no apparent reason and with none of the background work they require. That's where my problems are: the end, not the beginning. The first half, for its part, does well enough setting up the characters and the problem; the second half fumbles all of it away. You do feel something for Channing Tatum's character, though, not because of his acting, but because of the story itself. This is a film about Rachel McAdams and she's the weak link, story wise. She never asks the right questions of the right people and accepts everything that is happening to her without much of a fight. The less said about Scott Speedman, Sam Neill and Jessica Lange...the better. Do I feel the need to ever watch The Vow again? Not really. Was it wasted time in the theater? No, I don't think so. All it needs are some relatively minor changes. Its heard is in the right place, which earns the films points. The execution-especially the way the ending is handled-is ham fisted and insulting.
Bradley T. Johnson
Bradley T. Johnson

February 10, 2012
Not completely horrible, but it had a surprising lack of romance. It could've had the potential to be a cute tear-jerker, but is familiar and not very entertaining. Tatum is ok, but McAdams is the saving grace as she gives emotion to her role. Otherwise, an all too standard romance drama. Overall Rating: 42
Anthony L.
Anthony L.

June 25, 2012
The Vow is sometimes charming and interesting but at other times, has a weak screenplay that's cheesy. In the first 20 minutes or the minutes prior to the crash, the screenplay was at it's worst. After the crash however, I felt the screenplay started to improve but still suffered from the usual sappy love story concept. Rachel Mcadams and Channing Tatum are great together and although they must act as the cliched chick flick characters (nice guy,nice girl), the two add something to the film that other films of the sort lack. Aside from the first 20 minutes, the film is intersting but during the events directly following the crash, Mcadams continuous flow of questions made her character seem irritating. Overall, I think the film suffered from some lack in the screenplay but other than that, The Vow is a good film compared to other romantic comedies nowadays.

Favorite Scene: When Scott Speedman gets punched in the face by Channing Tatum