Movies Like The War of the Worlds

100% Hannibal: Season 2
96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

The War of the Worlds Reviews

January 6, 2011
Very true to the book but astonishingly badly made. This, to me, gives it zero value as a film - if I just want the story I'll read the book - and it's REALLY painful to watch.
DrLappos
DrLappos

December 5, 2007
Superb.
herodann
August 8, 2010
From a studio known as Pendragon Pictures out of London, This movie put the D in Dreadful! I showed this movie one evening to an audience of 9 of my closest friends. As the finishing credits were rolling by, one of my friends piped up with the angry comment: Dann! You owe me three hours! It is almost a word for word accounting of the HG Wells novel which is what I wanted, but in order for this to work it needed a better director, special effects budget, concept designer, art director, location manager, prop designer, actors, stuntmen, budget, lighting coordinator, animal handler, and set designer. Never have I seen a movie fall so flat on it's face. I was sorely disappointed. I would recommend that you see this movie only to understand how incredibly right I am. On the Stink-o-meter, it rates an 11!
February 14, 2009
This original beats the heck out of the newest version. I always think the first is the best. From it old effects to the dangerous situation the characters bet exposed to from the aliens.
brittybritt03
August 10, 2007
This is one of those "havent watched it and dont plan to" movies but then you go to someones house who is watching it and you cant take your eyes off it and dare them to change it.....I DID
July 10, 2007
A labor of love that truly is a bit of a laborous view. But even so, it's worth watching once, even if you're going to laugh at it. The man did what he wanted and made a movie that at times was pretty okay. The main thing that hurts it is the bad CGI which at times is unnecessary. Otherwise, he's not that bad of a director and the adaptation of the story is quite good!
MovieDude1221
June 2, 2007
Ohhh,where do I start?Walking and talking.A guy walks goes in a building talks about something that has nothing to do with the movie and leaves That's a scene It looks like a bad sci-fi movie(when the war machines steps it sounds like a pogo stick)Skeletons writhe and scream-I never finished this 3 hr long movie
February 28, 2007
This was a horrible version of H.G. Wells' classic. Parts of this movie appeared to have been colorized and the stop motion action through-out the film just became annoying.
March 11, 2012
While it's nice to have an adaptation that directly follows the book, it's done in a poor way that keeps it from being interesting or watchable. The acting is bad, the effects are terrible, and the length is too long. Ultimately, it's more enjoyable to just read the book.
August 28, 2013
Wow. HG Wells would probably have turned the heat ray on himself if he saw this "effort".
May 18, 2013
Terrible, just badly acted, poorly depicted.
April 12, 2013
Rotten Tomatoes must have a glitch...it says 233.6 million US dollars
January 29, 2012
Seen better alien films but this one is alright.
June 2, 2010
Exciting! A classic martian attack movie.
Dammy  G.
November 28, 2012
Better than Steven Spielberg's movie. I'll say that much.
May 16, 2012
This is the very definition of campy. The animation looks like it was made with some kind of outdated home computer software. The chroma keying and scaling are incredibly obvious. Daylight scenes are mostly washed out, with color schemes almost entirely consisting of tones of red and brown; night scenes are simply day scenes darkened in post-production, so that they are instead washed out in blue tones. The acting is decent and the script is pretty good (being that it is a very strict adaptation of HG Wells' novel). Still, it's THREE HOURS LONG! If you're going to watch it, don't do so in one sitting. If you like campy B-movies, this one is worth checking out. If you don't, stay far away.
January 9, 2012
This version of a great story was i think the worst movie and waste of my 3 hours to watch, the script was terrible and the special effects where unbelievably bad the worst i have ever seen. i think i could have done better with a box of matches, cigarette smoke and some trained monkeys. most of the time the people looked like they were standing still when they were supposed to be walking or riding. how it took 233 million i dont know im sorry its just a waste of money.

just email me if you want to buy my copy

January 6, 2011
November 5, 2010
Un-watchable, unbearable, glacially-paced mess.
matt_1244
June 16, 2010
Ok so good movie. It had alot of action in it and had tons of suspense. I thought personaly that the aleins and their ship looked very real. I mean the graphics were intense! I also thought that Tom Cruise acted very well and all the people did so I think it was a well acted film. I thought the script was also well written but most of all I thought that Tom Cruise(Main guy)didn't care about being a hero he just wanted to protect his family. Witch is a change from are normal Hollywood film.

Some of the downsides are that the aleins never took an air sample of earth (they died from germs in the air) before they attacked it. I mean they had this really freak'in elaborate plan to take over earth and then they didn't take an air sample first!!!! I mean come on... But good movie.