Critics Consensus: The Watch Falls Down On the Job

Plus, Step Up Revolution has nice dancing but a cliched script.

This week at the movies, we've got amateur crime fighters (The Watch, starring Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn) and politically active dancers (Step Up Revolution, starring Ryan Guzman and Kathryn McCormick). What do the critics have to say?

The Watch

17%

At first glance, The Watch looks reasonably promising: it stars Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, and Jonah Hill as a group of average Joes battling a malicious interplanetary attack. Unfortunately, critics say the movie makes the least of its premise, uneasily mixing sci-fi elements with gross-out gags. Stiller stars as a Costco manager who forms a neighborhood watch group after the mysterious death of the store's night watchman. Soon, however, the would-be cops discover that their suburban community is ground zero for an alien invasion. The pundits say The Watch is pretty uninspired stuff, stranding its talented cast with a script that favors vulgarity over wit at nearly every turn. (Check out this week's Total Recall, in which we count down Vaughn's best-reviewed movies.)

Step Up Revolution

42%

You pretty much know what to expect from a Step Up movie at this point: great dance sequences interspersed with clichéd plotting. No surprise, then, that critics say Step Up Revolution is more of the same; its narrative is dull, but when people are dancing, it has moments of interest. Kathryn McCormick stars as Emily, a professional dancer who falls for the more streetwise Sean (Ryan Guzman). Sean's flash mob crew is threatened, however, when a businessman attempts to gentrify his dance turf. The pundits say Step Up Revolution is pretty generic, though it's lively in spots. (Check out our gallery of memorable dance movies.)

Also opening this week in limited release:

• Planet of Snail, a documentary about the relationship between a deaf and blind man and his wife, is at 100 percent.
  • Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry, a doc about the life and trials of the famous Chinese artist and activist, is at 95 percent.
  • Searching for Sugar Man, a doc about the strange disappearance of 1970s cult rock fave Rodriguez, is at 94 percent.
  • Killer Joe, starring Matthew McConaughey and Emile Hirsch in a black comedy about a drug dealer who gets more than he bargained for when he hires a hitman to kill his mother, is Certified Fresh at 83 percent.
  • Klown, a Danish comedy about a pair of friends who behave very badly on a canoe trip, is at 79 percent.
  • The Chinese import Sacrifice, a historical drama about a child raised to avenge the murder of his parents, is at 75 percent.
  • Ruby Sparks, starring Paul Dano and Zoe Kazan in a comedy about a novelist who discovers his creation has come to life, is at 72 percent.
  • Burning Man, a dramedy about an emotionally damaged man reflecting on his turbulent life, is at 71 percent.
  • Nuit #1, a drama about a man and a woman who meet at a rave and divulge their deepest secrets to each other, is at 50 percent.
  • Big Boys Gone Bananas!*, a doc about a filmmaker's legal and public relations battle with the Dole Food Company, is at 50 percent.
  • Iron Sky, a sci-fi adventure about a group of Nazis invading the earth from outer space, is at 42 percent.

Comments

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

And yet still, I bet a lot of people go see this Watch trash.

Jul 26 - 04:42 PM

Gary Foster

Gary Foster

I'm too, but only in matinee.

Jul 26 - 10:32 PM

Not L.

Not Likely

Oh well.. that makes it so much better

Jul 27 - 07:58 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Says Fred Willard...

Jul 27 - 11:02 AM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

People should REALLY rent Attack The Block instead.

Jul 27 - 10:59 AM

George V.

George Voulcan

Attack the block isn't that good. The characters act really stupid and it's kind of cliches and boring. Plus who can understand anything those chimney sweepers say half the time?

Jul 28 - 12:53 PM

Premo Beat

John Noto

Agree Attack the Block was a colossal disappointment given its high tomatometer rating. Not funny, horrible sfx, and asshole characters. awesome.

Jul 30 - 08:10 AM

pixarian72

Aaron Barlow

Sigh, typical arrogant American critics. The big draw card in 'The watch' is RICHARD AYOADE! The man is a comic genius and it's about time the yanks experienced his brilliance. The IT crowd was one of the best comedies in the history of television, thanks in no small part to Ayoade. Of course the Americans tried to remake the IT crowd (why, oh why do they insist on always doing this?) but even with Ayoade it flopped due to the fact that Americans can't match the charm of Brit comedy.

Ben stiller is also a comic genius who's subtle comedic style obviously draws on British influence and he is responsible for partly bridging the gap between US and British comedy, having acted with the brilliant, underrated and often underused Steve Coogan, Ricky Gervais and has brought Ayoade to US feature film.

south Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone are die hard Monty Python fans for a reason, and Southpark has consistently been on the cutting edge of comedy partly due to this.

Jul 27 - 09:11 PM

George V.

George Voulcan

Please, Brit comedy is nauseating. It's so tame and pretentious. Try brushing your teeth sometime, Christ.

Jul 28 - 12:47 PM

justjoustin

Joshua G

I'm not British.. But, really? A teeth-brushing jibe? If you were aiming to be taken seriously, you just failed.

Jul 28 - 07:46 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

True, aside from the Python gang and their work (which was ages ago), British humor is generally dry and boring.

Jul 28 - 10:06 PM

Max H.

Max Houdek

While i don't hate British comedy, I'm sick of British people bashing American comedy acting like it is so much better than ours, when it's simply DIFFERENT. Yes Richard Ayodade is funny, but is he funnier than everyone else in the movie? No, he's just a different kind of funny. Yes, South park writers are fans of Monty Python, but last time I checked they're American and Americans enjoy them just as much as Brits so stop bashing American comedy

Jul 28 - 04:16 PM

mjprogue

Mike PArker

They insist on doing this because British comedy is just as hit or miss as any other...some is great, some sucks...but the only way the average person will become familiar with any of it is for it to get remade. Brit humor, even when good, takes some getting used to to appreciate the style...and most folks aren't gonna bother.

Besides, if America didn't do this, we wouldn't have the greatest comedy of all time...sorry if you're one of those folks daft enough to prefer the Brit Office...but the American version was (and is) pure genius while the original is just pretty good.

Jul 29 - 06:14 PM

Spencer S.

Spencer Saunders

What a shame. I knew it wasn't going to be amazing like Ted or 21 Jump Street, but the trailer looked great for The Watch.

Jul 26 - 04:51 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

I thought it looked awful. In addition, the blatant sexual objectification of Asian women was truly vile. Asians.

Jul 26 - 04:56 PM

Spencer S.

Spencer Saunders

Yeah, I never found that joke funny in the trailers either.

Jul 26 - 05:21 PM

This comment has been removed.

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I don't know man, In Hard R comedies Asian's seem to be getting discriminated the hardest. Like The Hang Over Films for example. Personally I'm not offended because it's a hard R and the point of the moment is to try and be offensive...so yeah. I've been meaning to watch "Boss". Is it good? I don't get those dang paid channels and I'm waiting for it to come out on Netflix.

Jul 27 - 10:15 AM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Asians do get objectified pretty badly in Western cinema. Even the handful of Asian stars we have (Li, Cho, Chan, Leung, Liu, Watanabe) either have to know karate or have to play stereotypical Asian caricatures. And the "joke" that started it all, the one in the preview, was terrible. I don't know who that guy is playing the froed idiot, but his delivery sucks. And they edited the joke so horribly, it was like they cut the punchline out.

Jul 27 - 01:50 PM

pixarian72

Aaron Barlow

Women objectified, what a crock! I bet NO ONE will talk about the objectification of men in 'Magic Mike' or the portrayal of men's bodies in the media and hollywood as being musclebound adonises. I guess no one cares that every time there's a news item on a men's rugby league team they're always videoed at the pool or in the changing room with all their shirts off.

The moronic Misandrist double standards in society are ridiculous. the fact is you lot are a bunch of low IQ suckers, feminism was created by the globalist bankers to disintegrate the family structure and create division in society in order to destroy social cohesion as they force through their world government tyranny. Natural feminine, nurturing, motherly ideals have been denigrated and demonised while women have been encouraged to 'have it all' stretching themselves thin and creating depression and inner turmoil as their primal subconscious urges them to become mothers and embrace their nurturing family side.

Jul 27 - 09:23 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

It's comedy though, with few exceptions I think everybody is fair game. I agree it was a bad joke, but I don't think it was a bad joke because of the subject matter, it was bad because it was pourly executed. Imagine if we held these standards to every movie. Mel Brooks wouldn't have a career because Blazing Saddles in particular was just a series of jokes about race or are you seriously trying to tell me that joke was more offensive than "We'll take the ni**ers and the Ch**ks, but we don't want the Irish"? All of Eddie Murphy's work would be remembered for Dr. Doolittle's and Daddy Daycare. I think Ken Watanabe has done some fantastic work in Hollywood and I would hardly sneeze at the work of Chow Yung Fat or Zhang Ziyi either. To your Hangover example was Mr. Chang really any more offensive to Asians than Zach G's would be to white people if judged by the same standards? It's comedy people are supposed to be made fun of and their foibles mocked to the extreme, that's what makes it funny.

Jul 28 - 05:34 AM

pixarian72

Aaron Barlow

Perhaps they should stop dressing like sluts and looking for rich guys then eh?

Jul 27 - 09:12 PM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

LOL, you're going to get castrated if you keep talking like that! Do the rest of us a favor: take your misogyny and shove it up your ass. BTW, you don't know anything about feminism so don't pretend like you do.

Jul 28 - 01:16 PM

Opposite Girl

Kortaka West

Wow, didn't think Rotten Tomatoes would be a good spot to find a men's rights activist...

Jul 28 - 07:36 PM

mjprogue

Mike PArker

Becasue her being Asian was integral to the joke...idiots...all men objecitfy women...period...but its ok because women objectify men too...who freaking cares? Its funny so what else matters?

Jul 29 - 06:06 PM

Robbie Jordan

Robbie Jordan

I've noticed this over recent years that Asians really are fair game to US films and TV.

Aug 1 - 05:42 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

Jul 26 - 04:56 PM

Spencer S.

Spencer Saunders

Yeah, I never found that joke funny in the trailers either.

Jul 26 - 05:21 PM

This comment has been removed.

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Jul 27 - 10:15 AM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Jul 27 - 01:50 PM

pixarian72

Aaron Barlow

Jul 27 - 09:23 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Jul 28 - 05:34 AM

pixarian72

Aaron Barlow

Perhaps they should stop dressing like sluts and looking for rich guys then eh?

Jul 27 - 09:12 PM

Jul 29 - 06:06 PM

Robbie Jordan

Robbie Jordan

Aug 1 - 05:42 AM

Rbaldelli7

Michael Baldelli

I also think it's a little deceiving of the studio to cut a 30 second TV spot that doesn't mention anything about aliens. Numerous people I've talked to had no idea it was about aliens. Shame on them for trying to fool people and so many people are so easily fooled.

Jul 26 - 05:06 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

I read they never intended to focus on the aliens after the sci-fi flops Battleship and John Carter. But the Trayvon case forced them to introduce that aspect to distance it from just being a neighborhood watch movie.

Jul 27 - 05:53 AM

Spencer S.

Spencer Saunders

Yeah, I never found that joke funny in the trailers either.

Jul 26 - 05:21 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

The one movie I want to see, Killer Joe, is limited release. Which is unfortunate.
Damn you NC-17 (likely an 18A up in Canada)

Jul 26 - 05:29 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Deft taste once again, Cooper.

Jul 27 - 11:05 AM

Sean D.

Sean D

*tips hat* A-thank you

Jul 27 - 07:55 PM

ap sirius

karl anderson

I can accompany you if need be....eh

Jul 28 - 02:56 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

lol thank you for the offer. It's not that I am not old enough, I am. It's that an NC-17 usually means it is cursed to live in Limited Released purgatory until it comes out on DVD/Blu Ray. Plus it apparently opens August 10th in Canada =/

Jul 28 - 05:52 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

Also, Seth Rogen wrote "The Watch"?!
That is most unfortunate.

Jul 26 - 05:31 PM

Cinema-Maniac

Caesar Mendez

I expected more from Seth Rogen, but even he has his duds.

Jul 26 - 11:49 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

The Watch should've been called Neighborhood Watch, but boy this movie bites.

I like the 3 Step Up movies, but Revolution (or Step Up 4) just isn't what fans are hoping for.

No new releases for me, the Olympics starts tomorrow.

Jul 26 - 06:04 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Yes, Olympics. No, Step Up anything.

Jul 27 - 01:44 PM

pixarian72

Aaron Barlow

Those dance movies are such braindead pieces of shite that only 13 year old girls should admit to liking.

Jul 27 - 09:25 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

After seeing so many commercials and trailers for The Watch, I concluded that it was pretty stupid. Nonetheless, I'm surprised at how low the RT meter is for this film. Many other films I've thought were dumb too (like Ted) have rated either mixed or even fresh. This film on the other hand seems likely to be the worst reviewed of major movies that have been released this summer season.

Step Up Revolution is what the series has always been, except this latest installment is more in line with the first two and not the 3rd which was the only one to rank higher than the 20% range. I assume the dancing in this film is less impressive than in the previous one.

Jul 26 - 06:24 PM

Vincent Fissore

Vincent Fissore

OK, Dark Knight Rises might just steal the Box Office this weekend. I'm not specifically sure that The Watch can best it, especially seeing the thrashing it is getting from critics. I am thinking, however, that Total Recall has a good chance of getting on the top.

Jul 26 - 06:35 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Batman will reign again this weekend, almost guaranteed.

Jul 26 - 07:58 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

The Watch won't come close to Batman.

I'm guessing about $50K for TDKR and $18K for Watch. It looks awful.

Jul 27 - 05:55 AM

Gaven Fronning

Gaven Fronning

i hope you mean Million lol

Jul 27 - 10:16 AM

Sean James

Sean James

lol

Jul 27 - 10:22 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Of course. Did you really laugh out loud though?

Jul 27 - 01:52 PM

Bradley J.

Bradley J

What a dull week. Wake me up when Paranorman arrives.

Jul 26 - 07:32 PM

Tamás Kovács

Tamás Kovács

Good choice. Looking forward to that too. Looks much better than Frankenweenie I thought.

Jul 26 - 11:03 PM

Bradley J.

Bradley J

I'm looking forward to both but I think Frankenweenie will be better received by critics though.

Jul 27 - 06:33 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Iunno Man, Critics have been on a BASH BURTON craze lately.

Jul 27 - 10:17 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Cuz his movies have sucked balls.

Jul 27 - 05:20 PM

Bradley J.

Bradley J

Burton is getting bashed by critics recently, I just think Frankenweenie will be a return to form. It looks like a classic film from him.

Jul 28 - 06:59 AM

Sean D.

Sean D

It is a classic from him. He is remaking a short film he made back in the mid-80's.

Jul 28 - 05:50 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Wish Killer Joe was a wide-release, sounds great and Freidkin has not made a great movie in a while.

Jul 26 - 07:56 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Batman will reign again this weekend, almost guaranteed.

Jul 26 - 07:58 PM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

Watch will (unfortunately) draw money, but it's safe to say that TDKR will retain its title this weekend.

Jul 26 - 08:50 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Worst case scenario for TDKR is that it gets a 70% drop from last weekend. That is still around $48 million. I can't see the Watch making more than $40 million at best. Ben Stiller has a small fanbase and his co-stars are either fairly unknown or unable to open big movies on their own. One instance in which the horrible reviews will hurt it in Box Office. There is a slight chance that Step Up Revolution will do better than The Watch because Step Up is guaranteed to be critic proof and grab at least a sizable crowd of teenage girls.

Jul 27 - 05:31 AM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

Vince Vaughan and Jonah Hill fairly unknown? Where have you been?

Jul 27 - 09:57 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

"At first glance, The Watch looks reasonably promising: it stars Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, and Jonah Hill"

What part of these 3 assclowns gave you the idea it would be really promising. Even the trailer looked shitty.

Jul 26 - 10:24 PM

Max H.

Max Houdek

*gasp* you're viewpoints are different from that of mainstream society!...you must be so edgy and cool

Jul 28 - 04:21 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Simply put, when I smell shit I make sure I don't step in it.

Jul 28 - 10:09 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Damn Iron Sky at only 42%, looked like it could be campy fun..

Jul 26 - 10:28 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I'm there.

Jul 27 - 11:08 AM

Gary Foster

Gary Foster

I'm too, but only in matinee.

Jul 26 - 10:32 PM

Jul 26 - 11:03 PM

Bradley J.

Bradley J

Jul 27 - 06:33 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Iunno Man, Critics have been on a BASH BURTON craze lately.

Jul 27 - 10:17 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Cuz his movies have sucked balls.

Jul 27 - 05:20 PM

Bradley J.

Bradley J

Jul 28 - 06:59 AM

Sean D.

Sean D

Jul 28 - 05:50 PM

Cinema-Maniac

Caesar Mendez

I expected more from Seth Rogen, but even he has his duds.

Jul 26 - 11:49 PM

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies