The Way Reviews

Paul D October 20, 2014
Aside from a couple of extreme characters, this is a very thoughtful movie using one of the oldest pilgrimage routes in the world to great effect. There's a lot of feeling expressed in the first 20 minutes of the film which is wonderful cinema, the rest can't quite emulate this but it's still a fine effort by Emilio Estevez.
Jeffrey N ½ October 9, 2014
While at times over-dramatic and overly-scripted, I really blame Martin Sheen's "over-acting" as making those flaws seem so transparent. Emilio Estevez does a remarkable job with "The Way," as writer, director and producer. The story is heart-breaking and has a very sad premise, but is heartwarming as more time goes by. While I'm not a religious person, I find the whole concept of religious history and what humans have done over time to search for the meaning of their lives, probably the most interesting and fascinating subjects. This conversion of one man's soulful journey and historical representation of the pilgrimage of St. James are eloquently done. Funny, sad, interesting and educational, "The Way" is wonderful.
Lisa K ½ August 30, 2014
This movie is very weak for what it could have been. The Camino de Santiago de Compostela is an important Catholic pilgrimage for spiritual enlightenment. The premise of the movie is possible and could have been a very good story. However, the characters and the story line were weak and there wasn't any crescendo to enlightenment The scenery is fabulous, allowing the viewer to imagine that there were walking 800 KM to lighten their emotional burdens. I enjoyed the slow pace of the walk as well as the time that was devoted to developing unlikely friendships. This is a walk that I have been considering. Now I feel more knowledgeable about what is involved and how I would like to tackle such a pilgrimage.
Walt W ½ August 18, 2014
This is an enjoyable enough movie, and at the same time quite sad. The grieving father completing a trek his son set out to make provides a great backdrop for life lessons to be learned, but beyond connecting with some other trekkers on the journey, it almost seems like none of them really grow from the experience. Moreover, they treat The Camino de Santiago as more of a ritual--as though the act of walking accomplished something--rather than doing much of the real work the opportunity would provide for self-examination and--dare I say it--seeking a deeper relationship with God.
Isla B July 4, 2014
A nice, gentle film.
Nate T October 7, 2011
Well done drama with bang up performances drags at times, but isn't unpleasant.
John B April 26, 2014
Good movie and inspirational story, but, i just thought they dragged it out too much
Jim B April 18, 2014
A real winner! So human, so touching, so inspirational, with a touch of humor! Now I want to go walk the pilgrimage to visit beautiful Spain, following the Way to see my Patron, St. James Campostela. JimB
Yousif V ½ April 15, 2014
It tries to put positive charming humor into a bad situation but it just doesn't work.
Hutch G March 26, 2014
I rate films 1, 2 & 3. One being I would like to see it again and will tell my friends, two I'm glad I saw it and three forget, I wasted my money. I would definately rate this film a one. It starts out as a remorsefull film and you walk away feeling accomplished through the father's true will. The Way [path] leads through beautiful scenery and and the cast blends well with its diversity. They are strangers in a strange land and must learn to blend in as well as possible.
Dwayne R February 6, 2014
Very Zen. Deep characterizations. Beautiful scenery. Touching story.
Patrick King - REEL BRIEF Patrick King - REEL BRIEF ½ February 4, 2014
Martin Sheen plays an ophthalmologist living in California, who gets the terrible news about his son that every parent dreads and is never prepared for. This film follows Sheen as he attempts to complete the hike his son started on foot, traveling from France to Spain, but never finished. The movie's heartwarming journey begins with a father attempting to learn more about his son, but ends with the father learning more about himself...and others. An excellent cast and brilliant photography lead "The Way" on an emotional trek--with frequent stops for rest and humility. Somewhere along El Camino de Santiago (The Way of Saint James) in the movie you'll find yourself looking for reasons why you'd complete the pilgrimage. And that's probably the best gift of this film; the introspect. Grade: A
Alex B January 29, 2014
Good plot, makes one do lot of thinking.
Savage R January 24, 2014
This film is very good. Very well directed, shot in some of the most beautiful part of France & Spain, this film is a little treasure filled with a lot of passion, a great message & an excellent cast that will make you laugh a lot on this long journey.Excellent surprise.
Mihael T ½ January 10, 2014
Very nice scenery. Amazing how movie can drag into, regarding theme and fact that main character dies at the beginning - sort of. A keeper DVD.
Byron S January 3, 2014
A heartfelt if not occasionally directionally plodding spiritual 'road' picture. Not enough of these out there. Check it out
CB CB December 2, 2013
A heartwarming journey that discovers appealing characters along its beautiful locations.
Aidan M December 1, 2013
I liked this film a lot more than I thought. It really surprised me. Maybe that's why I felt it deserved four stars.
James M November 28, 2013
Excellent. Touching, sad, well done!
Gavin S November 3, 2013
Very enjoyable, great scenery, and super performance by Martin Sheen, directed by his son. Deals with themes of loss, family, religion/God, and the self. Sounds odd, but it's just watching Martin Sheen and 3 others walk the Camino de Santiago through France/Spain. A pilgrimage taken by many for centuries. Worth a watch.