Box Office Guru Wrapup: Wolverine Tops Weekend with $55M

Hollywood's latest super hero offering took command of the box office as Hugh Jackman's return to Adamantium action in The Wolverine resulted in a number one opening. The popular Marvel character took in an estimated $55M from 3,924 locations for a solid $14,016 average. The debut was almost identical to the $55.1M debut of the franchise's last film X-Men: First Class which opened in June 2011. That summer's Thor and Captain America films bowed to about $65M a piece.

It can be argued that Wolverine could have attracted a slightly larger audience given its more well-known character and marquee star. However, every action film this month has debuted at or below expectations following an endless number of action titles since the first week of May. The clawed hero did deliver the biggest live-action opening in over a month. The character's last full feature was 2009's X-Men Origins: Wolverine which opened to $85.1M, but against zero competition. Bad will from that poorly-received film may have taken part of the fan base out of the equation this time around.

Set mostly in Japan, The Wolverine played to an expected crowd that skewed towards adult males. Studio research showed that 58% of the audience was male and 58% was 25 and older. Reviews were generally positive and paying moviegoers liked the PG-13 film giving it a good A- CinemaScore grade.

A massive global roll-out this weekend led to a big $86.1M international opening weekend from 101 territories for a powerful $141.1M worldwide launch. Most key markets opened this weekend though Japan will not release until September. The Wolverine cost a reported $120M to produce and had no expensive players outside of the lead actor.

Horror smash The Conjuring followed its spectacular opening with a terrific second weekend with an estimated $22.1M boosting the ten-day total to an incredible $83.9M. Off only 47%, the Warner Bros. release enjoyed an unusually low decline for a fright film and continues to benefit from strong audience buzz. A final domestic gross of about $140M is likely - among the best in history for a scary movie. Conjuring cost only $20M to produce.

Mega-toon Despicable Me 2 eased just 36% in its fourth round and cracked the triple-century mark with an estimated $16M for a cume to date of $306.4M for Universal. Gru's audience love and longevity has taken some of the speed out of rival animated offering Turbo which nonetheless held up well in its sophomore lap with an estimated $13.3M, off just 38%. With $55.8M in 12 days, Fox's final domestic total might end in the $90-100M range. Kid competition will ramp up starting this Wednesday with Smurfs 2.

Sequels for grown ups followed. Adam Sandler's Grown Ups 2 fell 42% to an estimated $11.5M for Sony putting the total at $101.7M - the bankable star's 14th $100M+ domestic grosser. Lionsgate saw its action pic Red 2 take in an estimated $9.4M, down 48%, resulting in a $35.1M sum.

Hoping to reach nine-digit territory, the sci-fi monster jam Pacific Rim collected an estimated $7.5M, down 53%, giving Warner Bros. $84M thus far on its way to $100M.

Leggy cop comedy The Heat dipped only 26% to an estimated $6.9M raising the total to $141.2M for Fox. Universal's R.I.P.D., Hollywood's umpteenth action offering this summer, fell apart in its second weekend with an estimated $5.9M falling 54%. The pricey flop has banked a miserable $24.4M and should end with a dismal $35-40M, one of the most memorable failures of this year.

Indie hit Fruitvale Station expanded nationwide and jumped into the top ten with a decent, but not spectacular showing. The Weinstein Co. release about the final day in the life of a young unarmed man shot and killed by the police grossed an estimated $4.7M from 1,064 locations for a mediocre $4,377 average. Total stands at $6.3M. Based on a true story, the urban drama attracted publicity for its similaritires to the killing of Trayvon Martin which has been a major news story over the last two years. But as with mainstream films, indie pics with dark and serious tones can often struggle to find a large audience in the summer when people crave lighter, more upbeat fare.

Making a major splash on the specialty scene was Woody Allen with his latest comic creation, Blue Jasmine starring Cate Blanchett, which grossed an estimated $613,000 from only six theaters for a jaw-dropping $102,167 average per site. Sony Classics will continue to roll out the well-reviewed film in the weeks ahead as the actress attracts Oscar buzz.

Opening to soft results was the indie comedy The To-Do List with an estimated $1.5M from 591 locations for a weak $2,597 average. The CBS Films release stars Aubrey Plaza as a high school nerd trying to lose her virginity.

The top ten films grossed an estimated $152.3M which was up 23% from last year when The Dark Knight Rises remained at number one with $62.1M; but off 9% from 2011 when Cowboys & Aliens opened in the top spot with $36.4M.

Follow Gitesh on Twitter!

Comments

Big Daddy101

Do you think this is a motherfucking game?

Wolverine was a godawful film. I'm glad that it only made 50 mil with 3D. Hopefully, that will leave the once great franchise alone. X-Men fell from it's greatness with horrible films like X3, Origins, First Class, and Samurai Wolvie.

Jul 28 - 07:26 PM

Lenny M.

Lenny Monroe

First Class was awful? Are you serious? It was just as good as the first 2 X Men films. Out of all 6 films the only ones that have been absolute trash were The Last Stand and X Men Origins. First Class and The Wolverine may not have been as fresh as the first 2 films but they are still good films in a now damaged period of the X Men films. Hopefully Days of Future Past will be just as good as these movies.

Jul 28 - 07:34 PM

Do you think this is a motherfucking game?

1 dimensional villian played by an actor who should be doing some Oscar worthy films (but he's in RIPD, so it is safe to say Bacon is a has been). Generic "believe in yourself" theme, and shitty performances from everyone except Fassbender and the guy from Wanted.

Jul 28 - 07:56 PM

Jo M.

Jo Maps

"and shitty performances from everyone except Fassbender and the guy from Wanted", Clearly if you only know McAvoy as "the guy from wanted", you need to go out more

Jul 29 - 02:57 AM

Satya Prakash

Satya Prakash

"First Class" was as good as the first X-Men movie.And for me probably better than the second one.I agree everyone has a different view and you didn't like it but that doesn't make it a bad movie.

Jul 29 - 07:34 AM

Do you think this is a motherfucking game?

So everyone in America knows this guy's name, huh? I guess he is as famous as Brad Pitt. Didn't know.

Jul 29 - 11:53 AM

Celena L.

Celena Lels

I work at Home with Google. It's by-far the nicest

job I have had. I've made $64,000 so far this year

working online and I'm a full time student. I've made

such great money. It's really user friendly and I'm

just so happy that I found out about it. Here is what

I do, Bling6.com

Aug 5 - 02:46 PM

Nelson Verdejo

Nelson Verdejo

excuse me but X-Men: first class was the best x-men film in the entire franchise and probably the only one I truly like ... the bryan singer originals were stories well told, but bryan singer is terrible with staging action because his films move very slow and his action scenes are not that spectacular .... the first x-men film was very slow .. save for a good story ... if the story sucked it would have been terrible .. X2 was a bit better but there wasn't much action .. you would think that an x-men film would be more epic ... I wasn't too thrilled with Singers films .. Last Stand finally brought on the action an X-men film needs but now at the expense of a well told story ... x-men origins = action and a story mistold about wolverine .. and a butchered dead pool .... now FIRST CLASS??? that was exactly how an X-Men movie should be.... and made me wonder why Matthew Vaughn doesn't just direct the rest of this franchise ... and also makes me wonder even more why he passed the Torch back to Bryan Singer for Future Past ... im looking forward to it but I don't wanna get my hopes up too high if im going to be severely disappointed when I see that it turns out to be another Superman Returns type of superhero movie.

Jul 28 - 11:31 PM

zooman

Alex Reyes

I agree First Class might be even be the best of the series and that X-Men is only a well made film with only decent action but a little slow-moving. For me though, the best action sequences and pacing that included not only action but the coming together of different story-lines and characters is X-2. The fight scenes and simply the action and thrill were impressive for a superhero movie (aided by awesome sound effects). It is the sort of action that actually made you flinch at the explosions and movements of Nightcrawler and Wolverine, always having story weight in the meantime. When the story extended over action, the convolution was always thrilling in ways few hero movies have achieved.

The richest story might be First Class which includes a whole package with the action and the characters, but I do find the pacing less efficient and slower overall when compared to X-2. I still could agree with you in that First Class should be placed among the best and not at all together with Wolverine or Last Stand (constant action that is simply boring, lots of things going on that somehow don't seem to matter).

Jul 30 - 02:05 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Well, aside from First Class being the best the X-films have been in a while on release, The Wolverine has also surpassed it's $115 million production budget by now if you count the whole world. It appears to be getting good word-of-mouth marketing (it scored A- on Cinemascore, for example) and it has yet to open in China and Japan, so I do not doubt it will be quite successful after a week or two of screenings.

Jul 28 - 08:04 PM

Alex Maverick

Hipster Elitist Maverick

People never learn. But I know your tricks, Cutler,

Jul 28 - 09:21 PM

Do you think this is a motherfucking game?

This would be an amazing troll comment, except I'm not trolling.

Jul 28 - 09:22 PM

Alex Maverick

Hipster Elitist Maverick

Forgive me if I seem hesitant to believe you.

Jul 28 - 09:23 PM

It's cool, Maverick.

Jul 28 - 09:25 PM

Alex Maverick

Hipster Elitist Maverick

If you are trolling, then good job. If you aren't, that's pretty strange, but okay.

Jul 28 - 09:27 PM

scifimark

scifi mark

Well considering it made 140 mil so far globally, guess again

Jul 29 - 04:55 AM

Do you think this is a motherfucking game?

Man of Steel made $112 domestic.

Jul 29 - 11:54 AM

Jul 28 - 11:31 PM

zooman

Alex Reyes

Jul 30 - 02:05 PM

Lenny M.

Lenny Monroe

Despite the 3rd act being cartoonish like the concensus says and losing the luster of the first two thirds, I thought it was one of the better films of the summer. I enjoyed the Japan setting, the side characters were pretty decent and the film's weakest parts were better than the last Wolverine films strongest parts. Great summer entertainment and my 3rd favorite big budget film of the summer behind Pacific Rim and Fast and Furious .

Jul 28 - 07:45 PM

Tarantular The-Spider

Tarantular The-Spider

dude 20 minutes into the movie it was downhill for me. 1 dimensioal bad guy,weak story, weak motiviation and one of thee most artrocious third act ever put on screen

Jul 29 - 01:48 AM

zooman

Alex Reyes

I guess that if Pacific Rim was boring for me and I won't dare to watch another Fast and Furious, I might be better off skipping this then?

Jul 30 - 02:07 PM

Aug 5 - 02:46 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Jul 28 - 08:04 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I knew the projections of 80 million were a bit optimistic.

Jul 28 - 08:37 PM

Do you think this is a motherfucking game?

Did you really believe it would get an 80%?

Jul 28 - 09:16 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Dollars, ass.

Jul 29 - 09:13 AM

Do you think this is a motherfucking game?

No need to throw a temper tantrum.

Jul 29 - 11:54 AM

Do you think this is a motherfucking game?

Did you really believe it would get an 80%?

Jul 28 - 09:16 PM

Alex Maverick

Hipster Elitist Maverick

People never learn. But I know your tricks, Cutler,

Jul 28 - 09:21 PM

Do you think this is a motherfucking game?

This would be an amazing troll comment, except I'm not trolling.

Jul 28 - 09:22 PM

Alex Maverick

Hipster Elitist Maverick

Forgive me if I seem hesitant to believe you.

Jul 28 - 09:23 PM

It's cool, Maverick.

Jul 28 - 09:25 PM

Alex Maverick

Hipster Elitist Maverick

Jul 28 - 09:27 PM

Do you think this is a motherfucking game?

This would be an amazing troll comment, except I'm not trolling.

Jul 28 - 09:22 PM

Alex Maverick

Hipster Elitist Maverick

Forgive me if I seem hesitant to believe you.

Jul 28 - 09:23 PM

It's cool, Maverick.

Jul 28 - 09:25 PM

Alex Maverick

Hipster Elitist Maverick

Jul 28 - 09:27 PM

Alex Maverick

Hipster Elitist Maverick

Forgive me if I seem hesitant to believe you.

Jul 28 - 09:23 PM

It's cool, Maverick.

Jul 28 - 09:25 PM

Alex Maverick

Hipster Elitist Maverick

Jul 28 - 09:27 PM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Andrew Brinkerhoff

This weekend I saw "The Wolverine" out of curiosity, followed by a re-watch of "Despicable Me 2" (I was disappointed the first time because of the disjointed story, but this time I just went to laugh and had a really fun time), which looks to be making a ridiculously huge pile of cash for Universal, will probably compensate for "R.I.P.D.". I actually enjoyed this latest outing enough, liked the setting, the action was pretty cool, though I feel Viper was extremely underused (and I haven't even read the comics).

Jul 28 - 10:04 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

I saw The Wolverine last night and I enjoyed it very much. I loved the Japan setting, Hugh Jackman killed it as Wolvie, the action was cool, and I enjoyed the side characters, especially Yukio. I also thought the writing was good and the humor was pretty witty. The bullet train sequence was the best action set piece in the film. Plus, the scene halfway through the credits was awesome! The Wolverine was is one of my favorite films of the summer.

Jul 28 - 10:37 PM

Nelson Verdejo

Nelson Verdejo

you say "Hugh Jackman killed it as Wolvie" ... as if anyone else has played the Wolverine character. he's played Wolverine since this franchises inception and is probably the only character in a long running franchise that has not yet been recast. when jackman retires himself from x-men and passes on the torch, its going to be a big newsworthy deal because no actor seems to play the same character for more than 3 movies, whether or not the franchise is rebooted or not ... but here jackman is in his 5th outing as wolverine ... soon to be 6th with next years film ... and 7th if you count his cameo in X-Men: First Class

Jul 28 - 11:37 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

I know no one else has played Wolverine. I just thought Hugh Jackman did a great job this time around. No one else can play this role in my opinion.

Jul 28 - 11:48 PM

Do you think this is a motherfucking game?

I can. All you need is a beard, a 6 pack, and you're good to go.

Jul 29 - 12:06 AM

Nelson Verdejo

Nelson Verdejo

Jul 28 - 11:31 PM

zooman

Alex Reyes

Jul 30 - 02:05 PM

Nelson Verdejo

Nelson Verdejo

Jul 28 - 11:37 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

Jul 28 - 11:48 PM

Do you think this is a motherfucking game?

I can. All you need is a beard, a 6 pack, and you're good to go.

Jul 29 - 12:06 AM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

Jul 28 - 11:48 PM

Do you think this is a motherfucking game?

I can. All you need is a beard, a 6 pack, and you're good to go.

Jul 29 - 12:06 AM

Do you think this is a motherfucking game?

I can. All you need is a beard, a 6 pack, and you're good to go.

Jul 29 - 12:06 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office