Critics Consensus: The Words Doesn't Know What To Say

Plus, The Cold Light of Day is largely incomprehensible and implausible.

This week at the movies, we've got a literary fraud (The Words, starring Bradley Cooper and Zoe Saldana) and a kidnapping plot (The Cold Light of Day, starring Henry Cavill and Bruce Willis). What do the critics have to say?

The Words

22%

The Words is an ambitious film with an undeniably intriguing premise: how does someone rationalize reaping the rewards of a big con? Unfortunately, critics say The Words is mostly a missed opportunity - despite the best efforts of its talented cast, the film is elaborately structured but rarely emotionally fulfilling. Bradley Cooper stars as Rory Jansen, a celebrated author with a secret: he passed off someone else's book as his own. As his star rises, Jansen is intoxicated by fame, but is soon forced to deal with the moral consequences of his deception. The pundits say The Words has enough appealing elements to sustain interest, but it's undone by its needlessly complex narrative and lack of character development. (Check out this week's Total Recall, in which we run down some noteworthy films featuring imposters and fabulists.)

The Cold Light of Day

Not all globetrotting spy thrillers are created equal. Take, for example, The Cold Light of Day, which critics say borrows liberally from the Taken and Bourne playbooks without adding such essential elements as comprehensibility and plausibility. Henry Cavill stars as a young man whose parents are kidnapped while on holiday in Spain. The plot thickens when our hero finds himself on the run from shadowy intelligence agents in pursuit of a mysterious briefcase. The pundits say The Cold Light of Day is largely bereft of surprises or even general coherence, and the stars -- including Bruce Willis and Sigourney Weaver -- mostly look exhausted.

Also opening this week in limited release:

• Beauty Is Embarrassing, a documentary about cartoonist and Pee-wee's Playhouse co-creator Wayne White, is at 100 percent.
  • Girl Model, a documentary about the trafficking of underage girls in the modeling industry, is at 89 percent.
  • Keep the Lights On, a drama about two men in an up-and-down long-term relationship, is at 86 percent.
  • Detropia, a doc about the crumbling infrastructure of the Motor City, is at 80 percent.
  • Las Acacias, a drama about an Argentine truck driver who bonds with a mother and her daughter over the course of a long drive, is at 73 percent.
  • The Eye of the Storm, starring Geoffrey Rush and Charlotte Rampling in a drama about a dying rich woman whose adult children are squabbling over their share of her fortune, is at 66 percent.
  • The Inbetweeners, a British comedy about four geeky guys who go on a wild Mediterranean vacation, is at 62 percent.
  • Hello I Must Be Going, a dramedy about a newly-divorced woman who finds romance with a teenager, is at 61 percent.
  • For Ellen, starring Paul Dano and Jena Malone in a drama about an aspiring musician dealing with a painful divorce, is at 54 percent.
  • Bachelorette, starring Kirsten Dunst and Isla Fisher in a comedy about three bridesmaids who share a night of debauchery before their friend's wedding, is at 53 percent.
  • [REC] 3 Genesis, a horror flick in which zombies rudely crash a wedding, is at 42 percent.
  • Serving Up Richard, horror film about a married couple who attempt to cannibalize a Wall Street banker, is at 17 percent.

Comments

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

No movies for me this week, but tomorrow I'll see Raiders of the Lost Ark in IMAX. I haven't seen the movie in years, but thank goodness it's in IMAX.

Next week, it's Milla time!

Sep 6 - 05:06 PM

Sean James

Sean James

i think milla is the worst actress ever and her movies are usually a disaster when she associates with her godawful director husband. so i wont be willing to see that pile of cinematic feces

Sep 6 - 05:17 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

Oh please, she has a great career so far and Resident Evil: Retribution hits theaters next week. So I don't know what's your problem, but you need to stay out of this.

Sep 6 - 07:51 PM

DrJimbo32

Aaron Thomas

Resident Evil: Retribution looks just as terrible as the previous ones

Sep 6 - 07:57 PM

King Crunk

I would not say she is the worst actress ever, but she seriously is pretty one note. Her most memorable role was in The Fifth Element, and that had just as much to do with the outfit as it did her acting. Other than that, her biggest claim to fame are the Resident Evil films, and those are horrible.

Sep 6 - 10:17 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I don't know if she's really a bad actress. She's been good in some of the Indie stuff she's done. She just doesn't choose the best projects. Being her husbands muse has done her no favors.

Sep 7 - 02:19 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

She should've stuck to singing, IMO. "Gentleman Who Fell" was a cool song.

Movie-wise, the only one I remember being good (besides the aforementioned Fifth Element) was The Perfect Getaway, a very underrated film.

Sep 7 - 06:36 AM

Dave J

I don't think those "Resident Evil" movies were that bad some of the action bits are pretty good, one does have to differentiate between the films and the game itself since they do go toward different directions.

Sep 7 - 02:04 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

The problem with the RE movies is that they rip off previous, better action and sci-fi movies that came before them. Paul W. Anderson doesn't have an original bone left in his body. Where's the guy that made Event Horizon??

Sep 7 - 02:49 PM

Dave J

I have no idea what you're talking about "Infernal Dude", as I recall on one of the Resident Evil films (I forgot which one) has Milla crashing her motorcyle into a church and shooting zombies- Now what I like to know is what movie did you see that in because I want to see it!

Sep 7 - 03:54 PM

Dave J

I mean, they're somewhat similar to the "Underworld" films since the female is the leading protagonist with plenty of special effects around them! I originally didn't care about the first one very much at all but as they put more action scense into them, they're still labelled as escape entertainment direction very similar to "The Book Of Eli" starring Denzil Washington.

Sep 7 - 03:59 PM

Dave J

"you pick a certain tree and try to paint the entire forest by it"
So sue me, I love movies with a lot of action in them!

Sep 10 - 12:06 PM

Sep 6 - 10:17 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Sep 7 - 02:19 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

She should've stuck to singing, IMO. "Gentleman Who Fell" was a cool song.

Sep 7 - 06:36 AM

Sep 7 - 02:04 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Sep 7 - 02:49 PM

Sep 7 - 03:54 PM

Sep 7 - 03:59 PM

Dave J

"you pick a certain tree and try to paint the entire forest by it"
So sue me, I love movies with a lot of action in them!

Sep 10 - 12:06 PM

tgibfo

Matt Ritchey

HELL YEAH RAIDERS IN IMAX ALL WEEK LONG!!!!

Sep 6 - 05:57 PM

Janson Jinnistan

"As his star rises, Jansen is intoxicated by fame, but is soon forced to deal with the moral consequences of his deception."

"Jansen is forced to confront the steep price that must be paid for stealing another man's work, and for placing ambition and success above life's most fundamental three words."

Somebody's been snooping in my e-mails. Big con, indeed. Serves 'em right to be rotten.

I dunno. "Cold Light of Day" doesn't look too bad. Veronica Echegui certainly doesn't. Yeah it seems very similar to "Taken" (so does "Girl Model", but that's another issue). It'll pass the time on late night cable probably.

The docs and dramas look interesting. "Girl Model" exposes the ugly truth that the fashion world doesn't want their models to look anorexic as much as they want them to look perpetually 13. Of note: "Detropia" is from the directors of "Jesus Camp" and "Boys of Baraka".

"Las Acacias", "Eye of the Storm", "Hello I Must Be Going" and "For Ellen" all have potential for me, more because of the talent involved than the scores. I love the "[REC]" films, so that's fo sho. I've heard great things about "Inbetweeners", so I'll catch that when I can.

Sep 6 - 06:15 PM

King Crunk

Jesus Camp is one of the few movies that still honestly scares the hell out of me every time I watch it.

Sep 6 - 10:24 PM

Janson Jinnistan

There's one called "Hell House", a doc about the trend of fundie Halloween alternatives to haunted houses that includes such scares as drugs, abortion, gays, and human sacrifices. Like Mr. Toad's Ride, they usually end up in a hell room where they keep the temperature over 100 degrees. Fun stuff.

Sep 6 - 11:26 PM

Flash T.

Flash T

"Drugs, abortions, gays and human sacrifice" is just another saturday night in Scotland hahaha!

Sep 8 - 01:26 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I 2nd The Perfect Getaway. Lot of under-rated actors are in that film as well. I like Mila but unfortunately I don't like The Resident Evil films. They just seem

Sep 7 - 08:30 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

How did My Perfect Getaway post end up down here? Oh well.

Jesus Camp is surprisingly disturbing. I'll post it. I love Jesus Christ and the story of the atonement for all mankind. Jesus Camp, wow. Indoctrination really is in the top 5 most frightening subject matters for me. Very disturbing.

I hate Hell houses as well! I look forward to finding this "Hell House" Doc.

Sep 7 - 08:34 AM

todd123

Todd Garry

I really enjoyed perfect getaway until the big surprise that makes absolutely no sense. Especially the scene in the tent! I think her best movie is He got game.

Sep 7 - 02:46 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

The surprise really was a screw you to the audience. I had no idea she was in He Got Game. I only remember how bad Ray Allen was. I really should watch that again. Focus on the positives damn it!

Sep 7 - 03:57 PM

Janson Jinnistan

To focus on the positives - "He Got Game" features an excellent and complex Denzel Washington performance.

Sep 7 - 04:50 PM

Jacob H.

Jacob Holmes

Well at least there's only one more week until Finding Nemo 3D.

Sep 6 - 07:25 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

Sep 6 - 07:51 PM

DrJimbo32

Aaron Thomas

Resident Evil: Retribution looks just as terrible as the previous ones

Sep 6 - 07:57 PM

Sep 6 - 10:17 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Sep 7 - 02:19 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

She should've stuck to singing, IMO. "Gentleman Who Fell" was a cool song.

Sep 7 - 06:36 AM

Sep 7 - 02:04 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Sep 7 - 02:49 PM

Sep 7 - 03:54 PM

Sep 7 - 03:59 PM

Dave J

"you pick a certain tree and try to paint the entire forest by it"
So sue me, I love movies with a lot of action in them!

Sep 10 - 12:06 PM

DrJimbo32

Aaron Thomas

Resident Evil: Retribution looks just as terrible as the previous ones

Sep 6 - 07:57 PM

Steven S.

Steven Scott

I did not expect too much from The Words anyway! I'm going with Raiders of the Lost Ark in IMAX!

Sep 6 - 09:12 PM

Sep 6 - 10:17 PM

Sep 6 - 10:24 PM

Sep 6 - 11:26 PM

Flash T.

Flash T

Sep 8 - 01:26 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Sep 7 - 08:30 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

How did My Perfect Getaway post end up down here? Oh well.

I hate Hell houses as well! I look forward to finding this "Hell House" Doc.

Sep 7 - 08:34 AM

todd123

Todd Garry

Sep 7 - 02:46 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Sep 7 - 03:57 PM

Sep 7 - 04:50 PM

Myron

Myron Kinsey

nothing interesting this this, but next week P.T. ANDERSONS' THE MASTER!!! WOOHHOOO I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THAT!!

Sep 6 - 11:19 PM

Sep 6 - 11:26 PM

Flash T.

Flash T

Sep 8 - 01:26 AM

Narcisse Lefebvre

Narcisse Lefebvre

The Innbetweeners aired on Channel 4, not BBC.

Sep 7 - 01:35 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Sep 7 - 02:19 AM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

Uh, RT, Where's the tomatometer for Branded?

Sep 7 - 04:15 AM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

I still don't give a crap what those movie critics have to say about Resident Evil. I hate movie critics and that's why I'll see it in IMAX 3-D.

I should wait for a rental of Branded.

Sep 7 - 04:16 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

She should've stuck to singing, IMO. "Gentleman Who Fell" was a cool song.

Sep 7 - 06:36 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Sep 7 - 08:30 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

How did My Perfect Getaway post end up down here? Oh well.

I hate Hell houses as well! I look forward to finding this "Hell House" Doc.

Sep 7 - 08:34 AM

todd123

Todd Garry

Sep 7 - 02:46 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Sep 7 - 03:57 PM

Sep 7 - 04:50 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

How did My Perfect Getaway post end up down here? Oh well.

I hate Hell houses as well! I look forward to finding this "Hell House" Doc.

Sep 7 - 08:34 AM