• R, 1 hr. 49 min.

90% Outlander: Season 1

The World's End Reviews

Eugene B

November 27, 2013
Its storyline may go a bit overboard towards its conclusion, but the film still supplies that custom hilarity that only the combination of Wright, Penn & Frost could create. The World's End is a mash-up of original comedy, apocalyptic hysteria and emotional content. The third film in the "Cornetto Trilogy" displays an even stronger cast of supporting roles that help make it that much more charming and enjoyable. 4/5
Lucas M

January 30, 2012
A great finale to the Three Cornetto Trilogy. Wonderful screenplay, written with a lot of criativity and heartfelt. The actors are terrific and very funny. Making this one of the best trilogys ever made. Fresh.
Michael S

December 29, 2013
Edgar Wright concludes his gloriously entertaining "Cornetto Trilogy" with a thematic departure of sorts, that also works as an amalgam of all the stylistic elements that made it's predecessors so much fun.

Terrific action, stylized filmmaking, and laughs should come as no surprise to those who know the fresh talent of Wright, but it is the ensemble cast (one of the year's best) and the heart and honest drama that shine through that really make "The World's End" stand out. It's also really smart and a cunning satire of some serious subjects and the modern age we live in.

The last act may be a little hard to swallow for some,but factoring in that yes... the action, style, and laughs are all fabulous, you have easily one of the most entertaining films of the year; and a great sendoff to the "Blood and Ice Cream" saga.
Cynthia S

December 29, 2013
Well, it had it moments. It started slow, but then picked up as time went on, and actually was becoming funny. Then, it runs out of steam by the end. Completely. Even more than that, it went in an absurd direction. Not funny absurd, either. Worth seeing for some of the funny parts, but barely...
Dan S

December 20, 2013
An uproarious, energy-driven apocalyptic blast of a movie concerning a screw-up (Simon Pegg), still living in his glory days and never moving on with his life since college ended, and how he convinces his old college buddies who have all moved on with their lives to accompany him in an epic bar crawl consisting of 12 pubs in the town where they went to college together over 20 years ago. While the movie is brilliantly directed by Edgar Wright, the real star of the show is Simon Pegg in the performance of his career, which is in equal turns hilarious, sad, and ultimately very memorable. Nick Frost and Martin Freeman also turn in nice performances as his buddies. You can probably guess what turn the movie takes by the title of the film, where Wright is really able to flex his creative direction style. This movie is really a combo of "Shaun of the Dead" and "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World". Although it could have ended on a stronger, less abrupt note, it still gets so many things right, that it is nearly impossible not to say you had a great time watching it by the time the credits roll.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

November 30, 2013
three stars
Pierluigi P

July 8, 2013
The cornetto trilogy finale is a blend of sci-fi/buddy-movie/coming-of-age/apocalyptic comedy. It sounds like a real mess, and frankly it is, but what a charming one.
Carlos M

October 22, 2013
An exhilarating and hilarious comedy that is a lot smarter and more complex than it seems to be at first, even daring to turn into something completely different when you are least expecting so and whose brilliant editing and priceless lines make it a true winner.
Al S

August 28, 2013
An instant classic. Director, Edgar Wright crafts another awesome and original comedy adventure with great characters and great laughs. A terrific buddy comedy loaded with head-bashing bar-brawling action and outrageous performances. A sharply written and surprisingly well-crafted film. A wickedly hilarious and insanely entertaining good time at the movies. Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Martin Freeman, Eddie Marsan and Paddy Considine are a comic dream team, they have great chemistry and character development and have nothing but a good time working together. Pegg is terrific, he plays a prickly but strangely relate-able character that grows on you. Frost is excellent. It's British comedy at its very best. One of the funniest movies of the 2013 is also one of the most enjoyable surprises of the year.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

October 15, 2013
One Night. Six Friends. Twelve Pubs. Total Annihilation.

Very good! The film is extremely clever, like Shaun of The Dead and Hot Fuzz they have mixed two genres, this time Sci-Fi and Comedy, to create a film on par with the rest. From the first pint all the way through to the "bitter end.. or lager end" the crew have to use their wits to avoid being detected and caught by the pursuing robots, all of which ends with devastating consequences. It is a must-see if you enjoyed the other two. Also in my opinion it has some of the best special effects (and comedy) I've ever seen in a British film.

20 years after attempting an epic pub crawl, five childhood friends reunite when one of them becomes hell bent on trying the drinking marathon again. They are convinced to stage an encore by mate Gary King, a 40-year old man trapped at the cigarette end of his teens, who drags his reluctant pals to their home town and once again attempts to reach the fabled pub, The World's End. As they attempt to reconcile the past and present, they realize the real struggle is for the future, not just theirs but humankind's. Reaching The World's End is the least of their worries.
thmtsang
thmtsang

October 6, 2013
A middle aged man (Simon Pegg) gathers his old schoolfriends to finish the pub crawl to the World's End. Takes an interesting turn with bodysnatchers.
Eric A

September 3, 2013
I was immediately captured from the beginning and stayed engaged throughout. I will forever love a movie that can do that from the get go. I had no idea the movie was going to turn into a sci-fi midway through the movie.... it was shocking at first but I loved it afterwards however. The World's End is a great movie that definitely doesn't disappoint and is funny throughout.
Kase V

September 1, 2013
'The World's End' effortlessly melds hilarious comedy and fun action with a sprinkle of pathos, creating one of the most memorable films of the summer. It came just in time too.
Everett J

September 25, 2013
****

Let me start this out by saying "Shaun of the Dead" to me is a masterpiece. I remember seeing that in the theater with my brother and buddy Scott and just laughing our balls off. I can watch that a 100 times and never get tired of it. "Hot Fuzz" on the other hand is just ok, and probably one if I rewatch I'll like more. Here is the finale of Edgar Wrights' "Cornetto Trilogy"(the three movies he directed starting Nick Frost and Simon Pegg). The less you know about this the better. It's basically a group of old friends who have gotten older and grown apart who come together for a one night epic pub crawl that they didn't finish 20 year earlier. During the crawl crazy stuff happens and this becomes something you wouldn't expect if you didn't know what happens(so I won't ruin it), but it's awesome. The cast is great, and it's hilarious throughout the entire movie. Much better than "Fuzz", not as good as "Shaun", but it's up there. I was very surprised at how good the effects and fight scenes are, but then again Wright did direct "Scott Pilgrim"(another amazing movie). I will say, that I didn't really care for the ending. Just not how I would have ended it, but it doesn't really damper the movie at all. If you're not into British comedies, then you probably won't like this or get some of the humor. But then again it may end up being right up your alley. One of the better comedies of the Summer season. Great watch and great conclusion to their trilogy, although I hope they continue to make movies together, because these three are awesome when teamed up.
Drake T

September 21, 2013
It's not as perfect as Hot Fuzz, probably because the Sci Fi element almost comes off as a derailment from the original premise, but despite the stumbling cohesion the themes remain that glue it all together; brotherhood and friendship. Chaos versus order.

I think Pegg and Frost have definitely stepped back up after the disappointment that was "Paul", the personal conflicts between the cast end up mixing very well with the high-concept Sci Fi elements that occupy the latter half. For better or for worse, there's a shock value to this progression as well.

Personally, it was one delightful surprise after another for the geek in me :]
Phil H

September 21, 2013
The third film in the Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy, this being the green mint choc chip flavour to represent aliens and sci-fi (green aliens? get it?). Yep the ragtag bunch of scruffy oddball Brits are back with more outlandish comedy the likes of which the Americans can only dream of. First time it was a horror parody/homage, second time an action parody/homage and now this time its sci-fi as said, I wonder if we'll get a fourth in say...the epic/historical genre.

Plot wise its a combination of cliched unoriginal rip offs from certain sci-fi films, at the same time its also an utterly farcical comedy chock full of toilet humour and childishness that solely revolves around drinking as much beer as possible. This is the main thing that surprised me actually, the main characters are all off to complete the task of the golden mile (a pub crawl through their hometown) and that's the entire focus of the film. Half of the plot, dialog and runtime is solely about drinking and the mindless banter that goes with it.

The writing is excellent no doubt, the squabbling and all male mockery of each other is first class and brings back many memories of my school days. But it was well after the halfway point, deep into the film, when I thought to myself, is anything actually gonna happen here or is this just about a pub crawl?. Eventually something does happen of course which involves aliens that are taking over the human race, sorta. Actually it feels more like an idea from 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy' as the aliens are preparing us for integration into the galactic community and making us more civilised, something like that. This includes replacing some humans with clones or robots to carry out the transition a little more easily.

This is when we start to see the action and sci-fi elements of the film which to be honest I didn't think were all that good really. The way they have gone about this is visually pretty dull and highly unoriginal really, its not meant to be scary or intimidating but its just rather bland I thought, didn't really get me excited as it all kicked off. The funny thing about it is during all the carnage as the plot gets action packed, the main goal and focus for the main character is still to complete the golden mile and get a beer down his neck in every pub!. Admittedly amusing but pretty loopy as it also numbs the intensity of the fighting really, I was wondering what the point of all this was, just so the characters can complete the golden mile?? is that really it?!.

The entire concept of this film is very retro, very old school which I did like, watching all the characters meeting up, going to 'New Haven' and going from pub to pub were easily the best sequences (how many pubs in this small town??!). It plays out like a typical rude British comedy, very familiar. The characters themselves are good too, well set up in their teen years and then well portrayed as adults by the cast. Did anyone else notice a slight 'David Brent-ness' to Pegg's character? the way he spoke and cracked his lame gags? seemed as though he's taken some inspiration from Gervais there if you ask me.

By the way anyone else notice that Pegg also slowly turned into his character from 'Ice Age 3'?, the 'Jack Sparrow-esque' weasel 'Buck'. No? am I alone on that one? the voice and stupidly heroic overreactions?. Still, Pegg's character was by far the best of course, the other guys just make up the gang really, they don't really contribute very much at all. Especially Martin Freeman's sister character, I'm not sure why that character was even included, take her out and nothing changes, wouldn't miss her. Must mention that I hated Nick Frost's role reversal here, the obvious thing to do for freshness of course but it just doesn't suit him, comes off as an unlikable character.

I just felt slightly underwhelmed as the film reached its peak and made its way into the home stretch for the finale. Nothing is really fully explained like where the aliens come from, what they actually look like, were those big thin metal looking things the aliens? what's the ultimate purpose of their penetration of the human race etc...I know its not meant to be a serious sci-fi but the whole thing does actually feel like it was conjured up on a night out to the pub, a bit flimsy, not entirely thought out.

Like one moment a robot/clone can be destroyed very easily with a punch, the next they remain in tact with a chair across the head. And why exactly do any of them even agree to carry on drinking after the robots have been revealed as if its just an annoying snag in the evening. Surely you'd be rather stunned and wanting to leave, plus I'm still not really sure why Pegg's character is SO obsessed with completing the golden mile after what is revealed. Drunk or not you'd notice stuff like this isn't quite right/normal.

This could easily be a new Monty Python flick, the plot is crazy and the filling that takes place leading up to the plot core is just a sheer celebration of drunken British middle aged men acting the tit and talking bollocks. That is literately it for more than half the film, drunken schoolboy banter, a guilty pleasure sure but somewhat light in imagination perhaps?. Its still a good fun film for the most part, I personally didn't enjoy the sci-fi element as much and I don't think its as clever as people are saying. In short the first two films in the trilogy are far superior in my humble opinion but this is still a reasonably solid comedy.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 9, 2013
Massive fan of the comedy duo, and this film doesn't disappoint, laughs throughout and a surprising and great cast!
Worth the watch!
Samuel Riley
Samuel Riley

July 24, 2013
The Cornetto Trilogy comes to an end with this awesome closing chapter that's filled with just as many laughs and wit as its awesome predecessors; Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz. This time both Simon Pegg and Nick Frost play superb yet very different characters that further add to the film's humor. In this installment, Pegg and his band of friends return to the "Golden Mile" to finally reach the pub called The World's End in their home town. However, with a sci-fi mix to the comedy genre in the film, there is something wrong with the residents and this puts constant threat and danger on our heroes. Just like Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz, The World's End features plenty of action that doesn't lose the audience's attention. This newest chapter still keeps characteristics seen from the other films; from pubs and gore (so to speak), to fences (my favourite) and of course, Cornettos. For fans of the trilogy, there is a nice references to the Cornetto ice cream, so keep an eye out for it. This is a nice conclusion to this unique trilogy; a trilogy that will continue to be revisited by many. Well done Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost.
Stuart B

September 9, 2013
Top movie!
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

September 6, 2013
The World's End is a superb comedy film that brings back a collaborative effort between Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and director Edgar Wright. Whenever these three get together, they always create something memorable, highly entertaining and hilarious. This is among the year's best films, and it is one of my favorites as well. If you enjoy Edgar Wright's work, this is a definite must see. The film is very well written and relies on a hilarious script and terrific acting from its lead actors; Simon Pegg and Nick Frost create its memorable on-screen moments. The film is engaging from the first frame onwards and each actor delivers something truly wonderful in their parts. This is one of Edgar Wright's strongest directorial efforts, and that's saying a lot considering that he previously directed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. The World's End is riot from start to finish; it is a near perfect movie with little flaws. The performances and gags are enough to make you forget about the film's shortcomings and it is a fun and highly entertaining comedy that will certainly delight fans of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. With this film, I am really looking forward to what Edgar Wright will do next. He is a talented filmmaker that can craft something truly entertaining. Although I didn't really enjoy Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World, I feel that this picture is a return to form for Wright. This is a worthwhile viewing and one of the most rewarding experiences of the year as well. I felt that it had just the right amount of action, comedy and effective storytelling to make this a memorable picture for anyone looking for a great comedy.