Movies Like Their Eyes Were Watching God

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Their Eyes Were Watching God Reviews

Remi L

April 25, 2009
Never read the book before you watch the movie, because you'll always feel the movie adaptation sucks
iLeo
iLeo

December 15, 2007
A beautiful movie! Love it!!
macabrescribe
August 7, 2009
This movie was a poor adaptation of a poor book. With the exception of Halle Berry, the acting was pretty bad. The attempt at make-up wasn't good either. People appear the same from decade to decade.
blkbttrfly72
May 26, 2009
This movie gave vision to the viewers, it depicted the book which was written by Zora Neal Hurston, to a tee.
Rachel a

December 22, 2008
While I'm not too crazy about romance movies that aren't combined with another genre this movie was watchable. Janie's journey to find true love (and how she found some not-so-true love along the way) seemed very realistic and is similar to what alot of people go through in modern day. It started out a little slow but if you're into this sort of thing you can really get drawn into the emotion of the story by the end of the movie.
WrellikW
July 25, 2008
This movie was not good! Oprah talked at the beginning of this movie, saying that it's her favorite and it's the best; well, it sucked! It had good actors and good actresses, but piss-poor performances. It's right out of any romance novel, put to film and that is as good as it is. It's about a black lady that leaves her husband to run away with another guy, then he dies and she then runs away with another guy and all they do is suck on each other; it sucks!!! I would rather catch Malaria than watch this film again!
gennyrlongboat
June 27, 2008
I absolutley love this movie it makes me laugh and cry this is a great work by all involved especially Halley Berry...Bravo!!!
hiltoncrossley
February 14, 2008
Halle Berry stars in this version of Zora Neale Hurston's novel, adapted for television and produced by Oprah Winfrey. The story centers on Janie Crawford (Berry), a free-spirited woman who lives her ...
RightEye
November 27, 2007
This was pretty good, I'll be the first to admit that it confused me a bit, but overall a good rental
pedleylife
November 12, 2007
I really love this one! Beautiful love story as well superb acting by my girl Halle!
This is a must see. Will definately put you
in the mood for love. Makes you appreciate the little things that bring two people together. Love it love it love it
smoochez804
August 13, 2007
I love this movie. It tells the story of a womans life and the men in it. One day she finds the love her life. I've seen it ova 10 times. The first time Halle kisses Michael....wow. Lets just say that is some kiss!
LoveisSatisfied
June 18, 2007
This movie was so good, but yet again which movie tha halle berry has made istn good..and oprah was like the director or something....so it is good..i garuntee u'll ike it!!!
britchocolatechips
April 21, 2007
I loved everything about this movie. It shows self-discovery through loving different people. There's nothing better than taking that journey.
PoeticJustice4U
April 5, 2007
Halle Berry is second to none so just deal with it! She's in a class all by herself and that's the way it is! Enough said. Oprah is
misspiggyluvskermi
March 26, 2007
Just watched it, it was great my only complaint is that there was no happy ending. It's great to see a movie by a great African-american author be adapted into a wonderful film that did not receive its due.
Keilaharris
March 1, 2007
I both the book and the movie! Halle Berry was doin too much when she started hangin from the chandelier
seximamma05
February 22, 2007
I've seen this movie one time but I won't forget it cause it's the type of movie that you have to let it catch your eye and really be into it and ignore everybody around you.
August 15, 2012
Loved the movie! read the book after, and was really glad i watched the movie first. recommend both, in that order.
January 12, 2012
Darnell's adaptation is brave and visually spellbinding. Janie's story through life is painted on the screen with rich colour and imagination. Despite a very episodical first half Halle Berry's strong performance draws us into Janie's search for freedom in a world of expectation. We hate and love with the Janie that is created on the screen. Although, there are many wonderful moments in this story, it falls victim to the tragedy of being told in two hours. Though we feel for Janie, the unfamiliarity with the other characters takes away from otherwise strong perfromances given by Ealy and Ruben. Those who love the book may be left wanting, but those who like the movie will know what to read next.
February 12, 2012
A slow-paced non-exciting movie. I strongly recommend not watching this movie if you like exciting movies. Although I don't like old time Drama movies, so my word on all Dramas is usually pretty bad.