• Directed By:
    Paul Thomas Anderson
    In Theaters:
    Dec 26, 2007 Wide
    On DVD:
    Apr 8, 2008
  • Paramount Vantage

Am I the only one who hated this movie?

Went to see this and although I did understand the symbolism etc I thought it was bloody awful ( pardon the pun). The terrible accent, clunky symbolism, not a fan ! Maybe it's just me...
Tim T.
01-25-2013 08:56 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Margaret Doocey

Margaret Doocey

You're not alone. I thought it was vapid - based on thoughtless, hackneyed, cynical presumptions (oil = bad /religion = bad).

Dec 29 - 03:26 PM

Tim T.

Tim Tom

Oh I see you are a Texan, so that answers my last question for me.

Nov 5 - 04:21 AM

Tim T.

Tim Tom

Thanks for that Bill. I'm assuming you are an American guy ? I do happen to like smart interesting movies and even have film studies as part of my undergrad degree. I can understand what the writers and director went for but still didn't really enjoy it. I am a post graduate currently working in Asia . Leave the USA much ?

Nov 5 - 04:19 AM

Bill the B.

Bill the Butcher

Tim Tom, you should stick to watching movies that are brightly colored and filled with kiddy songs. There Will Be Blood is beyond incredible. You sir, probably have the IQ of a bag of rocks.

Oct 26 - 04:21 PM

RoHiT

Good Looking RoHiT

Dude, You don't know anything about REAL cinema.

Sep 13 - 08:49 AM

EntertainMeOrDie

Entertain Me Or TIE

WTF is wrong with you?

Sep 23 - 09:01 AM

RoHiT

Good Looking RoHiT

Dude, You don't know anything about REAL cinema.

Sep 13 - 08:49 AM

RoHiT

Good Looking RoHiT

You don't know anything about REAL cinema, dude !

Sep 13 - 08:48 AM

RoHiT

Good Looking RoHiT

Cut your dick, EMOD .

Sep 13 - 08:45 AM

Aj Costantino

Aj Costantino

If I were watching the film for its pure aesthetic value I would be underwhelmed. Anyone who is wants to think about what is happening would enjoy it more, it is more a though provoker than it is an attention grabber.

Sep 5 - 08:12 PM

Rocket

Rocket Raccoon

I found it great as both.

Sep 8 - 02:34 PM

Tim T.

Tim Tom

Aj totally agree. I'll give it another go on DVD. Cheers.

Nov 5 - 04:32 AM

EntertainMeOrDie

Entertain Me Or TIE

You're a fucking retard.

Sep 4 - 03:19 PM

Branden M.

Branden Mata

Just like The Master. Amazing acting, and everything else sucks. Along with Malick, PTA is one of the most overrated directors. People say he creates "art" but that bassically means boringness. People say hes "not like hollywood is now". Hes like "old hollywood". Hipsters of film bassically. And critics. Those are the only people that love his movies. Peoole prob will say Im an asshole for saying this. Or a dick. Or someone who doesnt understand his style. Or someone that "loves transformers". No I just love good movies that dont bore me or that actually entertain me in some way. For example, "Lincoln" was a great film that was a portrait of a man and was way better than this film because even tho there was no action or great effects the movie was still entertaing. It has to be enjoyable or entertaining in some way for me.

Sep 3 - 04:41 PM

Sean Gall

Sean Gall

If you didnt like the movie watch it again, if you dont like it the second time around get a better taste in cinema.

Jul 8 - 09:32 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Good advice. Here's some for you: Stop being such and asshole.

Aug 17 - 10:22 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Good advice. Here's some for you: Stop being such an asshole.

Aug 17 - 10:23 PM

EntertainMeOrDie

Entertain Me Or TIE

Fuck you Alex.

Sep 4 - 03:19 PM

Rocket

Rocket Raccoon

I thought it was amazing, to say the least.

Jun 29 - 06:39 PM

Judge Nikhil

nikhil bhardwaj

i just saw this movie and it is a great display of art.Finally there is an artist in art of cinema who cares for the beauty of the cinema,who has not been seduced by hollywood and "movie".I THANK GOD FOR GIVING US PTA AND DANIEL DAY LEWIS

Jun 17 - 07:39 AM

Sean P.

Sean Patrick

PTA isn't in the entertainment business. He's in the art business. Thus, watching his films solely for enjoyment is a wrong way to watch them. He's not the everyman director... His films are rarely humorous, rarely action-filled, and they just kind of plod along. But, what Anderson does better than almost anyone else is to fuse an impressionistic storyline with incredible characters. His films are always beautiful, but difficult to relate to. I think this is definitely PTA's best film followed by Magnolia. If you want a film that's overhyped, watch Boogie Nights. I think that film is more rudimentary in terms of filmmaking. He's only gotten better with age.

May 23 - 07:11 PM

pat

Pat S.

It was kinda boring.

Apr 11 - 04:47 AM

EntertainMeOrDie

Entertain Me Or TIE

I guess there weren't enough Transformers and explosions in it for you.

Sep 4 - 03:18 PM

Diego Tutweiller

The Artist Formerly Known as Tutweiller

I didn't like it THAT much, but I can see how someone wouldn't like this.

Apr 5 - 06:15 PM

Tim T.

Tim Tom

I had friend as raving about it. I understand the symbolism and what it is trying to do but I just find DDL so tedious. I couldn't have cared about my of the characters at all and the very obvious symbolism must appeal to people like Daniel and Seb below, as they haven't seen anything better which is a Shame.

Mar 26 - 04:44 PM

Daniel Ortiz

Daniel Ortiz

small minded people wont get this. so yea, its not just you

Mar 14 - 02:12 AM

Midnight H.

Midnight Hum

I really liked it. I thought Daniel Day Lewis was fantastic and Paul Dano was superb as well. Cinematography was great and I really liked the score, too. Personally, though, I find No Country For Old Men to be a much better film and have a better written story.

Mar 3 - 08:04 PM

Daniel Khan

Daniel Khan

That's because it was written by Cormac McCarthy and the Coen brothers just adapted it to a screenplay, while changing very little about the dialogue and plot.

This on the other hand is an original story written by PT Anderson and loosely adapted from Oil! by Upton Sinclair. I have a lot more respect for a man who can produce an original script and story than someone who just copies a book verbatim and adapts it to the screen.

That said, I like No Country as well, but TWBB outweighs it as a true masterpiece. This is really one you have to watch more than once, I've seen it about 3 times already and I still notice little things every time I watch it.

Apr 19 - 02:41 AM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

When I first watched it a couple years ago, I didn't appreciate the movie so much as the performance by Daniel Day-Lewis; I think I'd probably appreciate it a bit more now that I've seen more cinema.

Feb 28 - 07:00 PM

Rob Hagmeier

Rob Hagmeier

It's not just you. I can respect the acting and the symbolism, but the movie did nothing to make me feel connected to any of the characters. When it finally crawled towards its inevitable climax, I couldn't possibly have cared any less.

Feb 25 - 10:41 AM

pat

Pat S.

Well said, I felt the same way.

Apr 11 - 04:47 AM

Margaret Doocey

Margaret Doocey

Exactly. It was cynical and predictable. The actors elevated the whole ordeal several notches w/their performances. And still, it was flat.

Dec 29 - 03:31 PM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

That's why you're an idiot

Feb 23 - 03:45 PM

EntertainMeOrDie

Entertain Me Or TIE

Lee! We agree on something again.

Sep 4 - 03:17 PM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

That's why you're an idiot