There Will Be Blood Sneaks into San Francisco Tonight

...and we've already got our tickets!

One of the year's most highly-anticipated films is screening tonight in San Francisco. Bay Area cinephiles, get thee to the Castro! RT was on the scene earlier today with the very first person in line.

Paul Thomas Anderson's upcoming There Will Be Blood won't be out until Christmas, and it's only had a handful of festival and industry screenings thus far. But by all early indications, the period piece about greed, corruption, and oil in turn of the century Texas will not only please the pants off avowed Anderson fans, but might turn out to be a serious Oscar contender.

Adapted from the novel Oil! by Upton Sinclair, There Will Be Blood stars powerhouse Daniel Day-Lewis as a money-hungry oil tycoon and rising star Paul Dano (Little Miss Sunshine) as a baby-faced young preacher. The two face off against each other amid the landscape of the dusty plains.

Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood

Having only been shown to lucky Austinites (at Fantastic Fest 3) and a select group of LA journalists thus far, There Will Be Blood is the hot ticket for geeks and film writers tonight. The benefit screening will assuredly draw hungry fans, professional and plebe alike, which means we're likely only a day away from an official Tomatometer rating.

Naturally, we ventured to the box office early this afternoon to make sure we snagged our tickets -- after all, it's an event so huge that fans and journalists are flying in from Los Angeles and beyond tonight, just to see Anderson's opus. The scene at 2pm was serene as your normal Monday afternoon and we handily scored our passes, although a modest line had formed. Anderson has his zealous fans, for sure, but what kind of impassioned enthusiasts would line up hours and hours and hours before the screening?

Eighteen-year-old Griffin Clark was standing in line this afternoon, but by evening he'll stroll through the theater doors to get his pick of seating. The San Francisco student had been standing in line since 7:30am for the 7:30pm screening in what he assumes will be a worthwhile twelve-hour wait -- he's read the screenplays, he's seen every Paul Thomas Anderson film, and he knows exactly where he wants to sit tonight. We stopped to chat with Clark to see why it will be worth the wait.

Numero uno.

Name: Griffin Clark

Age: 18

Why he's there: "Because Paul Thomas Anderson is my favorite director of all time."

Standing in line since: 7:30am

How long has Anderson been your favorite director?

For about three years, four years.

Have you seen all of his films?

Yeah.

Which one is your favorite?

Magnolia. Hands down. They're all great, but that one sticks out.

Have you been reading a lot about There Will Be Blood?

Yeah, I read the script for it and I've read the final draft, and the original first draft. I have the posters for it, I've been checking the site every day...

Wow. Are you from San Francisco?

Yeah, I go to SF State.

A lot of people are traveling in from all over just to come tonight...

And I would have been one of them! But it happened to be right down the block, so that's cool. I was beyond excited.

What is it about PT Anderson's movies?

I don't know, it varies from each picture. But I think a common themes that carry through each film, the camera work is amazing, the realism in all of the films, just the creativity and originality.

So you've actually spoiled yourself by reading the script.

Yeah. From just reading the script, it's gonna be pretty amazing. I'm not worried about it disappointing. And from what I've read from other reviews it's great.

You got here at 7:30 in the morning; how long until the second person came?

Well, we kind of got here about the same time. It was us two until about 10:30. At least it's nice to be with other Paul Thomas Anderson fans, you know? Because I know the people who are here are the dedicated ones.

Comments

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I'm a huge p.t. anderson fan, but i live in the east coast. I cant wait to see this, but it looks like i'll have to wait til christmas, great gift huh..

Nov 5 - 06:20 PM

~*Admiral Snowstorm*~

Dominique Amsterdam

Wouldn't it be interesting if, after all this hype and hysteria over this movie, it turned out to be a smashing failure?

That's only hypothetically, of course. Although it seems like a lot of these 'serious Oscar contender' films are ending up with mediocre Tomatometers, I honestly think There Will Be Blood will live up to its (considerable) hype. Something about Paul Thomas Anderson and Daniel Day-Lewis collaborating just gives me a feeling that this will be a movie to be remembered.

Nov 5 - 06:44 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Admiral, I share your apprehension with these so-called Oscar contenders, but having just returned myself from tonight's screening I can say the hype is no joke. I can think of more awards categories that TWBB could seriously win hands down so far than I can for any other film this year: screenplay, actor, supporting actor, director, score, cinematography, production design even. And for the record, Griffin gave it two thumbs up (we sat right behind him)!

Nov 6 - 12:39 AM

MovieSamurai

j _

the movie, as of now, would be in its last 30-40 minutes. prepare for viewer feedback. Griffin Clark - post your thoughts.

Nov 5 - 08:44 PM

ArielDanger

Ariel Gardner

I just got back to State from the screening, and i just had to register for an account to say that it was brilliant. The performance by Daniel Day Lewis was absolutely amazing and oscar-worthy, but Paul Dano's performance was unexpectedly breathtaking. The film brought me to tears, a feat not accomplished since Life Is Beautiful. It was beautiful, PT Anderson is officially one of the best contemporary filmmakers, period.

Nov 5 - 11:56 PM

Marktime

Mark Chandler

This is going to be the best film this year, I absolutly love PTA and with DDL this will be something special. I also noticed the mediocre tomatometers for the "contenders". This though I'm sure will live up to the hype.

Nov 5 - 11:59 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Nov 6 - 12:39 AM

Nick Hershey

nick hershey

Damn, Jen, you beat me to it! Definitely one of the better made films I've seen in quite a while. One of those movies that stays with you, days after you leave the theater.

Nov 6 - 12:52 AM

Metafact

Jane Holt

Jen, I have no doubt that this film will be amazing, but it concerns me that it's being released so late in the year. If 'There Will Be Blood' is the awards contender you claim it to be, giving it a theatrical release on December 26th might not give the film enough time to be noticed by the mainstream.

It reminds me of the movie 'Children of Men.' I always believed that if it was released just one month earlier, people would have taken notice sooner and it would had a better showing at the Academy Awards.

Then again, 'Citizen Kane' only won one Oscar, and '2001: A Space Odyssey' wasn't even nominated for Best Picture, so who cares about the Academy?

Nov 6 - 12:53 AM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Word, Metafact. It is scheduled for a really late release -- Paramount Vantage would benefit from moving it up a few weeks at least, dontcha think? -- and I think the Children of Men comparison is a good one. But it does seem that TWBB already has better, if smaller, buzz going into this late date than Children of Men had...so maybe that will help.

And you are right -- all this matters only if you put stock in the Academy Awards...

In any case, I can understand why LAists and other out of towners made the trek to SF tonight. It's really quite excellent. Paul Dano especially is a wonder.

Nov 6 - 01:15 AM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Nov 6 - 01:15 AM

Rusty Broomhandle

Jaco Gerber

Man, I always get Paul Thomas Anderson and Paul WS Anderson mixed up. PTA is the good director, right? :)

Nov 6 - 01:39 AM

Young Turk

Joe Massino

Bingo

Nov 6 - 01:52 AM

~*Admiral Snowstorm*~

Dominique Amsterdam

I always thought that was a pretty funny coincidence, how one of everyone's favorite directors shares a name with one of everyone's least favorite directors.

Well, looks like nothing but rave reviews so far. That's a good sign, in my book. Can't wait to see it.

Nov 6 - 03:38 AM

MovieSamurai

j _

I enjoyed the teaser very much as well as the new trailer (and the music) and this feedback makes me jealous and excited for December.
I do not think an earlier release for "Children of Men" would have helped all that much, I caught it on DVD and while it was good I did not go back and re-tool my top 10. A bit overhyped, but had excellent production aesthetics.

p.s. "2001" didn't deserve to be nominated for Best Picture, it's a techincal film and to this day after seeing it 5 times I cannot stay awake. It is excellent to behold on a techincal level, but maybe I'm not doing the right drugs before I watch it.
Should I mix my Vicodin and Zyrtec with some Jack and then take a supository of Georgia Home Boy?

Nov 6 - 03:48 AM

stevegilpin

Steven Gilpin

I think it's so cool that Paul Thomas Anderson's movies are all so different from one another, and yet there are some similarities. Punch Drunk Love was such a succinct and whimsical follow-up to Magnolia. I think all of his films are quite moving. I can't wait to see There Will Be Blood!

Nov 6 - 10:24 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

I can't wait for this movie.

And to MovieSamurai, I think 2001 is more than just a drug movie for a great deal of people who find deep meaning in it.

Nov 6 - 11:24 AM

larrychuck

First Last

I saw the screening last night and thought this was a brilliant artistic achievement. The writing is seriously amazing and potent, the music (as always with PTA) is powerful and original and very creatively employed. The acting, esp. DDL, is breathtaking. It is so exciting and hopeful to find a film director capable of pulling off such artistic originality in a world where it's easy to think that a film like "American Gangster" approaches the highest levels of excellence we can expect. The opening of this film, as my friend pointed out, is as memorable as the opening of Apocalypse Now (talking about the first few minutes here)... I could go on and on but you'll see. I have to admit I didn't really connect emotionally with the film as a whole; in moments, yes (and many moments provided thrills of various kinds and strong emotional impact), but overall I was more moved by the creativity and originality than by the story or the characters. I have to spend some more time thinking about why that is so, but I suspect many people will not like this film though the critics will love it and hopefully the Academy will reward the achievement. But anyway that's art for ya. Punch Drunk Love was one of my favorite films ever, but I know many people who really didn't feel it at all. Anyway, this one's very exciting, gorgeous to look at, and what a thrill to be there last night. I'll never forget it.

Nov 6 - 11:37 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

Critics Consensus