There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men Top Critics' Awards

Summary

Multiple honorees from four regional critics' circles include the Coen Brothers' No Country for Old Men, P.T. Anderson's There Will Be Blood, Julian Schnabel's The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Gone, Baby, Gone's Amy Ryan, and more. Back to Article

Comments

Remy Overkempe

Remy Overkempe

JULIE CHRISTIE! Yeaahhh... (Agree with some of the winning movies, not all.)

Dec 10 - 07:37 AM

stanleykubrickr.i.p.

jonathan marable

I'm glad to hear that "There Will Be Blood" has won best picture from the Los Angeles Film Critics. When "NO Country for Old Men" won last week from the NBR and TWBB was completely shut out I began to worry that maybe the film really wasn't what early reviews have said. But, with this win I am sure that it is going to be great.

Dec 10 - 07:44 AM

wordweaver

Naturo Wetawashi

Amy Ryan for Gone baby Gone? what is freakin' wrong with Boston critics?

Dec 10 - 08:36 AM

Remy Overkempe

Remy Overkempe

Word.

Dec 10 - 09:05 AM

BjornFree

Scott Cressman

I thought Amy Ryan did a very solid job. I also think Javier Bardem is the right choice on the male side.

Dec 10 - 09:09 AM

dahluzz

joe shmo

uhh, also selected by LA and will probably win the Oscar if academy darling Blanchett doesn't cop it. be specific about what you didn't like, because from where i was sitting she completely nailed the Dorchester coke slut that you can't have any sympathy for. i'm assuming you actually saw the movie...

Dec 10 - 10:24 AM

Remy Overkempe

Remy Overkempe

Word.

Dec 10 - 09:05 AM

BjornFree

Scott Cressman

Dec 10 - 09:09 AM

The Great One

A Z

Amy Ryan really pissed me off in Gone Baby Gone DAMN IT

Dec 10 - 09:31 AM

nate2709

Nate 2709

I hated Amy Ryan in Gone Baby Gone as well, I guess that means she did a pretty good job.

Dec 10 - 10:22 AM

dahluzz

joe shmo

Dec 10 - 10:24 AM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

Absolutely loved Javier Bardem in NCfOM. An absolutely awesome job.

Gone Baby Gone was a very good movie and Ryan was solid in it, but was that really the best job by a supporting actress this year? Can't think of a better one off of the top of my head (this wouldn't have come to mind either). Amy Ryan has been in three really solid movies this year with Gone Baby Gone, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, and Dan in Real Life, but I couldn't say that her roles really stuck out to me as great acting. Gone Baby Gone was definately the best out of the three. hmmm ...

George Clooney in Micheal Clayton for best actor seems questionable too. Sounds like I definately need to see There Will be Blood.

Dec 10 - 10:28 AM

Poor_Frisco

Christian Estabrook

can't wat for There Will Be Blood.
P.T. Andeson is fantastic.
Magnolia is my all time favorite movie.

I really want to see I'm Not here

Dec 10 - 10:29 AM

Poor_Frisco

Christian Estabrook

Obviously meant to say I'm Not There
RT you kill me with your lack of editing options

Dec 10 - 10:30 AM

Darule17

Darryl Gagnon

So far my best picture is no country for old men, but it might change when I see There will be blood.

Dec 10 - 10:42 AM

Bardego

Robert Hamer

Wow, Amy Ryan wins four supporting actress awards and Blanchett only wins one? Didn't see that coming...

Anyway, I'm glad There Will Be Blood is getting some love. Maybe there is hope for it come Oscar time after all...

Dec 10 - 11:33 AM

danielfrohlich

Daniel Frohlich

the lives of others should have gotten more nods in the foreign film category.

Dec 10 - 11:43 AM

Pyramids

Joel Fox

seeing as it won last year's foreign language film oscar, i'm pretty sure it's exempt from this year's lists lol

Dec 10 - 04:05 PM

nardoguz

Bernardo Guzman

i give the trailer for there will be blood best picture of the year.

Dec 10 - 11:45 AM

BatsInTheBelfry

Derek Meadors

I'll hold any "Best" picks I have until the end of the year. However, I think one thing we can all agree on is this was a great year for movies. It's nice to see good movies being spread out throughout the year rather than all in November and December. We got The Lookout and Zodiac early on, The Bourne Ultimatum and Knocked Up in the summer, and Gone Baby Gone and 3:10 to Yuma in the fall.

Dec 10 - 12:04 PM

EmmG389

First Last

This looks good for There Will Be Blood, after some polarizing reviews I was worried. But after that deleted scene, I felt good about it again. I felt good about it after the trailer, but look at American Gangster's trailer, that was awesome. I think now that There Will Be Blood will live up to the trailer now.
Sweeney Todd is also getting major love from the critics in top ten lists(New Yorker, Newsweek), so I am looking forward to that. And this confirms the fact that I knew Charlie Wilson's War was going to be a disappointment, good but not great.

You know it is a great year for movies when movies surpass and live up to their trailers.
Mentions:
Gone Baby Gone (poor trailer)
No Country (amazing)
Superbad
Knocked Up (cheesy like all of Apatow's trailers)
Rescue Dawn (not great either)
3:10 to Yuma

And for all of you Amy Ryan haters, Amy Ryan pissed every one off in Gone Baby Gone. Although Cate Blanchett should win it.

Dec 10 - 02:58 PM

highdough

Richard Blascock

I thought the trailer for Gone Baby Gone was excellent. It definitely made me want to see the film. I thought the trailer for No Country for Old Men was not at all appealing. I saw the film despite the trailer, not because of it.

Dec 11 - 12:02 AM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

Just watched No Country last night, I was disapointed it was a solid film but not great, definitely not the best Coen film or film of the year. There Will Be Blood looks damn good, I can hardly wait. And Amy Ryan did do a good job in Gone Baby Gone.

Dec 10 - 03:09 PM

VICVEGA06

jarret tomato

It was only a solid film? You're crazy in the coconut mang!

Dec 10 - 03:56 PM

VICVEGA06

jarret tomato

It was only a solid film? You're crazy in the coconut mang!

Dec 10 - 03:56 PM

Pyramids

Joel Fox

Dec 10 - 04:05 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup