There's No Business Like Show Business Reviews

MissMorganLeee
½ August 25, 2010
I just love Donald O' Connor. She is so sweet and funny! The story itself wasnt all the great; Theater family is ripped apart for different reasons yada yda everyone is happy at the end. But thats ok know why? It a musical!!!and quite a good musical. The show numbers and dance numbers are terrific! love them! See it for some fun!
MeetMeinMontauk
May 17, 2010
Flashly and splashy and exactly what 50s musicals are. Most numbers were visually appealing and catchy. Not all, but most. The story was pretty nice too even if a little dull and contrived at times.
jjnxn
March 27, 2007
glitzy, shallow, loud and a whole lot of fun except when johnnie ray is on screen.
½ November 7, 2006
It was great.
December 25, 2007
enjoyable when it comes to Monroe, but tiring with the repeat of the vaudevillian Donohues... nice but not enough.
½ October 16, 2013
The story wanders, but hey! it's a great Irving Berlin salute! Don't look for great acting, though.
October 1, 2012
The fine but unremarkable "There's No Business Like Show Business" mostly presents Irving Berlin numbers of varying quality, but it also depicts the familial struggles of its characters. Fox's first CinemaScope musical, the film doesn't always make the most of its widescreen photography, excepting the impressive "globe-trotting" "Alexander's Ragtime Band" sequence. With only a supporting role, Marilyn Monroe hijacks the movie.
½ September 4, 2012
There are a lot of dance and song numbers in this movie, one wonders when the story finally kicks in. I like the family element to it and Marilyn Monroe is as inoccent and sexy as ever. Donald O'Conner is also charming and funny. The film really shines when anyone is on stage doing their thing.

Grade: B+
½ January 7, 2011
They don't make 'em like this anymore. Frankly, they should have never made this one. Johnnie Ray and Marilyn Monroe were horribly miscast. At least someone had the good sense to limit Mr. Ray's screen time after he was established as a member of the family. But poor Marilyn, I would swear this was an attempt to derail her career. She was vastly out of place. That is not to say she didn't have talent, but hers did not lend themselves to the old-fashioned vaudevillian style of singing, dancing, and line reading. The screenplay was atrocious, and character development was worse. I never got the sense that the characters were remotely related to each other The situations weren't relateable, but felt like they were strung together just so somebody could say there was a plot.
I gave it one and a half star because the music is great. People would be better off buying the soundtrack so they didn't have to deal with utter crap between these great songs.
June 7, 2008
this is one fantastic movie!!! Merman's great! there's no unique voice like ethel merman. marilyn's lovely as usual (she's so aware about how people think of her, and she made use of this knowledge to her advantage....she, being no plain dumb blonde), and has such fine timing as a comedian (too bad, she died early).
½ November 28, 2007
I love Donald O'Connor in this very tough family movie. I totally understand what he's going through
½ June 25, 2007
different I like donald o conner more in singing in the rain and not a huge fan of marilyn monroe. The singing was pretty good it had a bit of a strange story but still good.
June 26, 2007
I thought it was going to be a simple Monroe movie but turns out she's not even the main character. With Donald O'connor and Mitzi Gaynor this movie is actually not too shabby! Great dancing and great legs!
June 19, 2007
If you're a true fan of musicals a must-see just to see two musical titans (Merman, Berlin) together before their light fades.
½ May 13, 2007
Probably the weakest of all the Marilyn films, but still decent. I like musicals, but this one was just a bit off for me.
January 4, 2007
Story was good...didn't like Ethel Merman's voice, however. And Marilyn Monroe is sickening in appearance, acting, dancing, singing, and whatever else she does. Ugh.
September 26, 2006
*blink* This was worth making? An Irving Berlin revue is okay in itself, for people who like Irving Berlin's music (although that would not include me) but it would have been a plus if the movie had an actual plot.
June 21, 2006
Marilyn Monroe, Donald O'connor, and Ethal Merman. You couldn't ask for a better cast. This was a fantastic movie.
½ May 7, 2015
There's No Business Like Show Business is an amazing film. It is about a singing group called the Five Donahues. Ethel Merman and Marilyn Monroe give incredible performances. The screenplay is well written. Walter Lang did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the humor and music. There's No Business Like Show Business is a must see.
October 20, 2014
The thing to remember about this film is that it's not about the plot. It just has enough plotline to link together fantastic footage of Marilyn in her prime as well as some great Irving Berlin music. As long as you keep that in mind and not take it seriously, you can really enjoy the film. It's long for a musical though--I would have chopped two of the song and dance numbers off, had I done it myself. That Alexander's Ragtime Band number went on seemingly forever.