• R, 1 hr. 58 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

There's Something About Mary Reviews

Lucas M

February 1, 2012
The best movie by the Farrelly Brothers.
Eugene B

August 22, 2008
The Farrelly Bros. make a fun comedy-filled flick that presents the best in both Ben Stiller and Cameron Diaz. Though it suffers minor bumps it is still filled with laughter and jokes. 4/5
Jason S

December 26, 2006
Funny
3niR
3niR

February 15, 2010
It was not hilarious. Especially the scene in the Bathroom (two scenes actually actually where Ben Stiller was...). Sure Cameron is hot, but the way every guy drooled at her was excess. This movie was okay.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 26, 2011
This was made back when The Farrelly Brothers were actually funny. Aside from Dumb and Dumber, There's Something Mary is quite possibly their most famous comedy. The film manages to make you laugh, but the thing that doesn't sit with me is that this film is not as funny as the first time you see it. If you rewatch it numerous times like I have, the jokes become a bit old. But for what its worth, this is a fun filled comedy with plenty of laughs going for it. There's also way too many memorable scenes to mention, and despite it shows its age slightly, once in a while this is still a good comedy to watch to have a few laughs. The cast do a fine job with the material and the humor expressed on screen is ridiculous, off the wall and at times hysterical. Though not as good the first time, this is one of the Farrelly' Brothers classic films along with Me, Myself & Irene, Kingpin and of course, Dumb and Dumber. Everyone here is terrific, but I've seen this film so that so of the humor isn't what it used to be. Still a fun comedy to watch with friends, and this actually one of Cameron Diaz' better performances as well. A very good comedy that's sure to make you laugh. There's Something About Mary is one of the essential Farrelly Brothers films to watch. Definitely a film that you'll remember for years after you've seen it.
Eric A

August 1, 2011
Blunt, crude humor is always good.
murphmann93
murphmann93

July 6, 2008
Cameron Diaz is extremely funny and the hair gel scene was absolutely hilarious. Great film despite me not liking Ben Stiller all that much.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 13, 2011
A classic comedy, who hates this needs to get a funny bone. Some of the stuff in this movie is comedy gold, and this is the best comedy made by the Farrellys Brothers. The story is really good for a comedy. This movie is a cult classic, I love it.
jamers2011
jamers2011

August 1, 2010
I can't believe I had previously given this film 2 stars. It's so great, and hilarious! I absolutely love Ben Stiller, Cameron Diaz, and Matt Dillon in this movie!
Richard C

June 24, 2010
B+
Lady D

July 3, 2006
Whilst Ben Stiller's humour seems to have run it's course and ideas for his films are running dry, this happens to be one of the funny early ones.

Ironically it's the non-comedy Actor; Matt Dillon who appears the funniest in this throughout.

Some very funny moments and so long since I'd previously see this, it was like watching for the first time again.
Spencer S

July 22, 2008
Goofy Farrelly brothers are the best, and their offbeat drummer plays a symphony all his own, of absurdity.
Alexis N

July 6, 2010
i love this movie for some reason. i could watch it everyday and i did.. in high school. i would come home, sit in front of my space heater and watch this movie over and over again. i'm pretty sure my parents thought i had some undiagnosed brain damage.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

March 28, 2007
There are these three guys out after Mary (Cameron Diaz), or maybe four or five or six, depending on how you count. The most important are, first, Ben Stiller, the shy nobody who has had a crush on her since high school in Providence, Rhode Island. Years later he learns Mary lives in Florida, and Stiller hires a sly and self-promoting private investigator (Matt Dillon) to track her down and bring back a report. Then there is a faux Englishman (Lee Evans) trying to insinuate himself into Mary's life space by posing as a victim of polio or something. Even more devious in his obsession is Stiller's friend Woogie, crippled by a nervous rash. A football player is tossed in at the end, and an older guy who has been cultivating Mary's neighbor in order to get a crack at Mary.

It's understandable. When Dillon brings back his intelligence on Diaz, he tells Stiller that she weighs several hundred pounds, is confined to a wheelchair, has had four illegitimate children, and lives in a housing project. But the fact is Cameron Diaz is radiant. She's tall, slender, a little goofy, morally upright, and a doctor to boot.

The movie is anything but politically correct or delicate in any way. The writers have dived head first into the energetic gags, which follow one another almost instantly and range from silly (the masturbation scene) to merely reckless. (Dillon learns that Mary finds pearly white teeth sexy so he has his teeth modified, giving him a toothpaste-ad grin and a slight lisp.) I don't know how much I want to get into this because, inasmuch as the movie is a series of jokes, any description of unfolding events or character will give some of the jokes away. Well, let me say at least that I laughed most at the scene in which Matt Dillon has tranquilized Diaz's little dog so that it doesn't reject him on their first meeting. The problem is that the dog ODs and goes into cardiac arrest. With Diaz out of the room momentarily, Dillon is forced to perform CPR on the dog. When that doesn't work he yanks some electrical cords out of a lamp and tries to revive the animal with electric shock. The dog begins to sputter with sparks and his fur catches fire. I'll leave it at that.

Comedies about "romance" generally call for a sobering statement at the end, in which all is explained and the moral spelled out for the viewer. The Farrelly brothers have included such a scene but it's mercifully brief. "They were only after you because you made them feel good about themselves." You'll hardly notice the pain.

You know how some comedies are toned down, subtle, and require attention to be fully appreciated? This is the opposite.
Lewis C

June 25, 2007
It's the rare comedy that's even funnier the second time you watch it, than it was the first. Something about Mary fits that definition perfectly. It's one of the most memorable Ben Stiller comedies, for a lot of reasons.

The story itself isn't something that we haven't seen been before, but it's told exceptionally well and flows quickly from hilarious situation to hilarious situation. Ben Stiller and Cameron Diaz have great on-screen chemistry, even though a lot of their time is spent with their equally funny co-stars. And it's nice to be reminded of how gorgeous she was in her younger days.

Be prepared to wince and cover your eyes a few times, because some of the funniest moments in the movie are also the hardest to watch. Overly tanned boobs, painful crotch accidents, and masturbation jokes, are all par for the course. Something about Mary is raunchy, hysterical, and worth watching again and again.
Nicki M

October 27, 2007
Rewatched this recently. Got to love it. There is such a thing as too many watches as I think I am approaching it, but there's still a few scenes in this that make me laugh every time. The zipper scene for example, and Mary's "Dad" is hilarious. The phony architect on crutches always makes me laugh too. This would have to be one of Ben Stiller's better films, and Cameron Diaz at her best here too.
Carlos M

October 22, 2009
Unforgiving and outrageous in its extremely politically incorrect humour, this is a hilarious and delicious comedy that will leave your stomach and ribs aching from so much laughing.
Conner R

November 26, 2009
Probably one of Ben Stiller's better roles and a nice effort from the Farrelly brothers. I really liked the crazy characters, especially Matt Dillon and his capped teeth. It was a well written story and almost everything you could ask for in a raunchy comedy. Cameron Diaz played a perfect muse and you could see exactly why she has about 6 men crawling over her.
Anthony L

August 25, 2009
This isn?t really my kind of film but I went to see it with a couple of old friends and we wet ourselves, so for that reason, it gets more stars from me! Happy days.