They Made Me a Criminal Reviews

September 5, 2010
This is a remake of the life of Jimmy Dolan? No wonder I thought I's seen it already!
March 1, 2010
Busby Berkeley directs this drama that features an element of crime mixed with drama and some humor. A feel good flick that holds interest. John Garfield plays a young champion prizefighter that is led to believe he murdered a reporter in a drunken brawl; so he high steps it out of town. He heads west and stops in Arizona taking refuge on a ranch run by Ann Sheridan and staffed by the Dead End Kids featuring Leo Gorcey and Billy Halop. The gang convinces the boxer on the run to enter a prizefight to win stakes for a future gasoline station. But spoiling a good thing is detective Claude Rains, who recognizes the champ and is set to take him back. A nice escape back to days gone by.
zdravkoduck
September 26, 2009
I'm a big fan of the "M-YA SHEEE" talk and this movie had plenty to go around. John Garfield reminded me of three actors all crunched into one: Liam Neeson,Charles Bronson and Edward G Robinson, nothing to do with acting styles or anything, his face just reminded me of those guys. The dead end kids were pretty entertaining especially at the end when they were bullshitting their way into the boxing fight at the end. You know I'm not too sure if I'm pinpointing the exact movie but I couldn't help but think of Butch's character in Pulp Fiction but it's completely different that was sort of a pride fucking with you sorta story this is more wrongfully accused type stuff. Enjoyed it.
½ April 4, 2008
They frame him and make him a wanted man, while on the lam he hides out on a farm worked by the "east side kids," they are there to be reformed.
He is the one who really goes through a tranformation as he gets less selfish becomes a lot nicer, gets a nice girl, is idolized by the boys and is let off the hook by the cop claude raines, which you see coming for miles.
sentimental, but with action, plus, i love a good boxing movie, but there is also romance and
people almost drowning, its well done, obviously great acting, a little formulaic, but not enough that this bunch doesn't make it rise ablove that formula feel it could have had.
its a keeper!
½ December 20, 2011
A good Warner Bros crime flick even if a little sentimentalised. John Garfield, Ann Sheridan and the Dead End Kids put in good performances but Claude Rains doesn't really convince as the tough cop tracking down the falsely accused crime fighter on a murder rap. There's a well staged scene in a water tank where a drowning is narrowly escaped. If you like the kind of social conscience crime films that Warners made back in the day (and I do) you'll like this one.
½ December 6, 2014
Director Busby Berkeley wanted to show he could direct something besides musicals and he got his shot and does a good job with this lightweight though entertaining crime story. John Garfield is a NYC boxer who thinks he's accidentally killed a reporter, so he goes out west to hide out from the law. Out west he hooks up with Huntz Hall, Leo Gorcey and the other Dead End Kids, who I've always found irritating. Despite the presence of the annoying antics of the Dead End Kids, Garfield's story is interesting enough, especially when a boxer comes to town offering $500 to anyone who can stay standing after two rounds. It's a pretty corny film and the oddball casting of Claude Rains as a NYC cop best described as a "mug" doesn't help either (reportedly Rains at first refused the part but was under contract and was threatened with suspension if he didn't take the part). Despite the film's drawbacks, it's an entertaining film that owes much to Garfield's strong performance.
March 2, 2011
The Dead End Kids appear on a somewhat flimsy excuse to provide a foil for John Garfield and provide a mild level of entertainment.

Leave your mind for critical plot evaluation at home for this one, lest you spend the whole running time cutting it up.
January 19, 2011
Wednesday, January 19, 2011

(1939) They Made Me A Criminal
CRIME DRAMA/ THRILLER/ SUSPENSE

The plot has actor John Garfield as a boxer, and ends up running away from the law for accidently killing someone in the ring! While being pursued he then comes across into an isolated crop field which is really a sanctuary for the law to send rehabilitation juevenile delinquents which some frequent old movie watchers would recognize some as the "The Bowery Boys" who were popular during this time! While there, he falls in love(as movies always do) and befriends the kids at the same time! The only thing I can say is that this movie is very straight forward with a great ending!

What's interesting about this film is the fact that although boxing in the underworld or illegal boxing matches were prevalent during The Great Depression, one wouldn't know whether their were any rules or consequences imposed if one to get himself killed as a result of many bouts! And I guess at the particular time during the 30's or during 'The Great Depression' (at least in some urban areas), this is how society dealt with it.

3 out of 4
½ August 10, 2006
Excellent classic crime drama, with a fantastic cast. John Garfield is in top form and perfectly cast. Believably done, sassy performances, very well written. Taut direction by Busby Berkeley.
½ December 16, 2004
First off, let me just say that this film is so awesome. I've seen many a boxing movies and you can always go the route of Rocky Balboa, but there's something different about this film. It's very wholesome. You know, very 1930s. But this film should serve as a perfect example of what happens when you have perfect casting!! Awesome!!