Movies Like The Thing Called Love

57% Tyrant: Season 1

The Thing Called Love Reviews

James Sidis
February 12, 2013
First off, this wasn't River's last movie. Dark Blood was technically his last movie, even though it wasn't finished. This was one of his final movies. His performance is really quite a sad one. This was at the height of his drug use, and it shows in his acting. It is by no stretch of the imagination that he was high during some of these takes. During Dark Blood he managed to stay clean, before ultimately relapsing and unfortunately dying. This movie was a lost cause, though. Even if he was clean and at his best, this movie would have still flopped. It just wasn't all there in general, which is unfortunate. In my mind, River still ended on a high note with Dark Blood. That which, had it been completed, I believe would've been perhaps his greatest film. As I mentioned in my review of it, there's a lot hidden in that film that makes it quite genius.
October 30, 2013
Amazing cast and great performances. At first you don't like James behavior and then he changes your mind again and again. Kyle is crazy about Miranda and doesn't do anything about it. And she, well...she gets caught up between two handsome men who love her and her music. Linda doesn't get much attention here but it's a funny character. Despite this large content to explore, The Thing Called Love doesn't delivers. For two hours, there's too much mess and indecision and it gets on your nerves. The script wasn't developed enough and the end is quite unsatisfying. It's a shame because the songs are great and Phoenix, Bullock, Mathis and Mulroney are excellent actors. Their performances save the movie to be honest.
July 7, 2007
I love River Phoenix and Samantha Mathis, and Peter Bogdanovich is a great director, but the story wasn't gripping enough.
filmlover1994
August 6, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
July 10, 2013
Okay love and country music flick.
April 2, 2013
I LOVE THIS MOVIE. This movie is one of my most favoured movies ever. I love the whole cast, mostly River Phoenix and Dermot Mulroney. Fantastic flick. And i dont even admire country music.
April 1, 2013
this was one of the last movies before river died and it is such a good movie. it has such a real feel to it and one of my faves of his. river was such a tremendous talent that gone way too soon.
January 12, 2013
have seen it i think it is a great movie
December 12, 2012
I love this movie and the cast! I don't understand the low rating???
July 23, 2012
I can watch this movie over and over!
July 16, 2012
"Country music is popular with all those idiots we fly over going from New York to LA. Why don't we make a shitty formulaic movie about it."
June 24, 2012
jason send this back to me so i can watch
April 13, 2012
sandra bullock.
and river phoenix.
and amy liked it a lot.
April 7, 2012
the late River Phoenix's a real beauty :'( RIP ,,this was his last movie
April 5, 2012
I used to watch this movie every time it came on TV. It really wasn't ever a great film, but it was entertaining enough.
emerlyrose
January 27, 2012
Pretty good movie, a few parts that I didn't see coming but not really a favorite.
January 3, 2012
River Phoenix.... cutie
November 20, 2011
Don't like any R.Phoenix movies, didn't liked this one as well. The songs in it was also bad.
Gordon Franklin Terry Sr
October 20, 2011
Siskel $ Ebert called this movie "River Phoenix's Cry For Help;" indeed it is:

River Phoenix's eyes are dark, he's pale, he's acting stranger than usual . . . HEROIN! (River looks "beat-up" the way Corey Feldman looks like in Dream a Little Dream)

. . . Heroin intoxication affects your renal system as well as your brain, you are poisoning your body when you inhale or inject heroin.

Peter Bogdanovich also confirms that River Phhoenix acted strangely between takes.

-- Reportedly, River Phoenix first used heroin while preparing for his role as a heroin addicted male prostitute in My Own Private Idaho.

River Phoenix was a "disciple" of the Stanislovsky Method of acting where the actor is to do the exact same things the character he is portraying does.

from my post in the "News Section"
DARK BLOOD!!!!!!

Awesome.

Finally; I hope it features the Last Scene River Phoenix ever filmed where River is walking deeper and deeper into a dark cave alight with burning candles.

--- I still remember October 31, 1993 like it was yesterday. I was STUNNED by the news reports of River Phoenix collapsing on the side-walk of a "seedy" night-club on the Sunset Strip in Los Angeles.

River was the most CLEAN-CUT dude around . . . drugs? no way; no FREAKING way; Not River . . . and HEROIN on top of that . . . because everybody knows that Heroin is the Worst-of-the-Worst Drugs to get on to.

-- . . . and River Phoenix died of a SPEED-BALL (Heroin and Cocaine) the EXACT combination of drugs that John Belushi.

--- You know that River Phoenix first "did" Heroin on the set of My Own Private Idaho; River Phoenix was a "disciple" of the Stanislovsky Method of acting where you actually do the things that the character you're portraying does.

No, Gus Van Sant (the director of My Own Private Idaho) did not have responsibility for what River Phoenix did or did not do to prepare for his role.

I used to blame Gus Van Sant for exploiting River Phoenix's youthfulness naivete:

that maybe Gus Van Sant egged-on River to get deeper into his part as a Male-Prostitute-slash-heroin-addict.

and

its highly subjective yet RIVER PHOENIX possessed a unique and irreplaceable quality; a unique and charismatic aura. Running on Empty is Classic. Harrison Ford (River's Father in Mosquito Coast) got the scar on his chin in a near-fatal car accident at age 23 and River Phoenix died at age 23. Harrison and River looked alike and acted alike. It was uncanny. Siskel and Ebert called The Thing Called Love River's Cry For Help . . . they were right; in The Thing Called Love, River's eyes are dark and he's pale; he acts weirder than usual throughout the picture. October 31. 1993 (the news reports from November 1, 1993) was Horrible.