Things Behind the Sun (2001)
Average Rating: 7/10
Reviews Counted: 11
Fresh: 11 | Rotten: 0
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 1
Fresh: 1 | Rotten: 0
Average Rating: 3.7/5
User Ratings: 969
Writer and director Allison Anders, who used the world of rock & roll as the backdrop for her films Border Radio, Grace of My Heart, and Sugar Mountain, returns to the music scene for this tale of a woman struggling to come to terms with an emotionally devastating past. Sherry McGrale (Kim Dickens) is a punk-influenced singer and songwriter whose angry, deeply personal music has begun to win her a national following, though the demons that fuel her art are playing havoc with her life, as she
Jan 19, 2001 Wide
Apr 8, 2003
Behind the Sun Productions
Watch It Now
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
A film of remarkable honesty and courage.
After several disappointing films, Allison Anders has made a nother personal film that thematically is linked with her first (and best) feature, Gas Food Lodging.
Anders makes the point without belaboring it and without exploiting it for a turn-on.
Audience Reviews for Things Behind the Sun
- Chuck: I know who she is! I know who she is in her bones! And that's who I'm hanging in here for... that sweet little girl who never had the chance...
- Sharry McGrale: You didn't come here to help me. You came here to save your own ass.
- Sharry McGrale: Try living with the guilt knowing that the only way to get turned on is by acting out the very thing that ruined your life.
- Sharry McGrale: It's hard for me to be with the guys that I love. I's just easier to be with guys that don't matter or the ones that don't know me.
- Chuck: It never gets easier for men, honey. We're just stuck, like some old needle in a worn out groove.
- Sharry McGrale: Every time I look at you, evil grows in me.
Discuss Things Behind the Sun on our Movie forum!