• R, 1 hr. 58 min.

Things We Lost in the Fire Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

May 11, 2008
Took me 4 days to watch this movie, just was so boring, but after seeing it, I know I am a Jerry, not a drug user I'm just a very depressed person with no freaking life! Any Suggestiions? Why do only good things happen in the movies. 4 Stars
Lady D

September 7, 2007
An emotional, powerful story of grief, addiction and love. Excellent performances from Halle Berry and Benicio Del Toro, perhaps both their best roles to date.

With a very realistic viewpoint this film is told and it is a Drama that really pulls you in and makes you care about the outcome, above all else it's honest!
Lanning :

January 19, 2011
I kept wanting more. A spark. A fire to erupt and totally engross me, suck me into the story. I wanted to feel like I wasn't just watching a movie; I was a part of the story. But it never happened. The best news about this one is that Halle Berry and, especially, Benicio Del Toro are back. Berry gives her best performance since Monster's Ball -- I swear I thought she was finished. Only Del Toro tops Berry. This is truly a great job of acting on his part. Definitely his best, for me, since The Usual Suspects.Actually, the cast, overall, is very good, but, again, the story never takes off despite some great acting. I don't want to point fingers at the director, or the editors, or even the writers. I get the feeling that everyone believed in this story. Still, no movie magic here.
neverteaseaweasel
neverteaseaweasel

March 29, 2010
This is definitely a film of lost potential. The cast is great, and they all give incredible performances - Alison Lohman, especially. I'm surprised she has never made it big- but ultimately the film does the accomplish much. Just days after watching it, I remember nothing. The characters are intersting, but they are never completely explored. The plot has a certain amount of potential, but it never really takes off. The one thing that saves the film is that despite it's flaws, Things We Lost in the Fire is that is really is rather intersting and at times thought-provoking concerning things such as life and love, familiy dynamics, the importance and relation of spouses and friends.
Al S

October 17, 2007
Benicio Del Toro and Halle Berry give strong, outstanding and emotionally charged performances. Del Toro is perfect, he never over acts and never misses a note. One of his very best performances. Berry again shows another star-powered performance. David Duchovny is excellent, a very impressive performance. The screen scorches with heart-break and redemption. Gripping, captivating, heart-warming and terrifically entertaining. A riveting, deeply moving and incredibly powerful film. An astonishing gem of a film crafted by a talented director with a great vision and a pitch-perfect cast. An unforgettable, explosive, wonderful and beautiful piece of work. Flat-out electrifying and satisfying. An magnificent gem of a great film.
Conner R

November 18, 2009
It's a moving story. Benicio Del Toro gives a great performance, but that's about it. Outside his acting and the premise, there is nothing extraordinary about this. Halle Berry was just cruel and unlikeable.
familiar s

March 22, 2009
Chose this one a break from my regular thrillers/horrors & I'm glad I went for it. Wonderful drama, liked it more than other dramas I recently watched, namely "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" and "Revolutionary Road". Benicio Del Toro is the real scene-stealer. Great actor, will definitely like to see more of him in the future in good roles (wasn't aware that he was present in "Snatch" or "The Usual Suspects", most probably because the roles were either small or unimportant, unlike in this movie) like this one.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

October 17, 2007
"Hope comes with letting go."

A woman who lost her husband in a random act of violence and a heroin addict who was a lifelong friend of the dearly departed discover that the beloved husband and friend's unfortunate passing is actually a blessing in disguise in Open Hearts director Susanne Bier's Dogme-style drama. When her husband (David Duchovny) was killed, Audrey Burke (Halle Berry) didn't think she would be able to summon the strength to carry on. Jerry Sunborne (Benicio Del Toro) is a heroin addict who was one of the recently deceased's oldest friends in life, but as a result of his addiction Jerry has lost everything that ever mattered to him. When Audrey discovers that Jerry is the one man who could help her move beyond the dire cycle of grieving that she has fallen into, her offer for him to move in with the family provides the addict with just the incentive he needed to finally get his life back in order.

Review
I do have a thing for modern rough dramas. To me this belongs in the same category as 21 Grams, Crash, Babel and (the under-appreciated) 187. We have Halle Berry, Benicio del Toro and David Duchovny enjoying being part of this. It's very dark, but still with a sense of hope, that everything will turn out OK, that the characters will eventually find a new meaning in life - whilst not ever forgetting the dark days and the darkness. Halle Berry really gets to show off her skills in this one, haven't thought of her as a great actor before but this is a very strong delivery. Benicio... well.. is he ever bad? David, very steady.

The camera-work I didn't reflect much on, but there was nothing annoying stealing focus from the plot, which is perfect, the story is more important than anything.
aliyanto
aliyanto

October 9, 2008
When a friend died, we lost not only the friend but also something in other mutual friends that only the lost friend brought out.
Jani H

September 6, 2008
"Accept the good"

An average film with an extraordinary performance by Benicio Del Toro. He has so much talent that he can lift a mediocre film to a higher level. Definitely a Oscar worthy performance.

The biggest problem with this film is that after a good scene, a lesser good scene will follow. The storytelling is slow paced but still interesting. The film is definitely sad but it is not depressing in any way. The two lead characters are coping with their problems and in the end there is hope. A must-see for all Benicio Del Toro fans.
Eric S

August 19, 2008
Brilliant performance by Benicio Del Toro as an ex-attorney who becomes a heroin addict. David Duchovny portrays his friend who never turns his back on him.
After Duchovny's death in a random act of violence, Jerry(Benicio Del Toro) becomes close with his friend's wife Audrey played by Halle Berry. Jerry fights his addiction which has destroyed everything that was once important to him as Audrey finds Jerry to be the only person who can help her survive her loss. Her children and Jerry form a bond which keeps him on the level most of the time.
When things seem to be at their worst, the fight in each of these characters struggles to rise above the deepest fog and gloom.
deano
deano

September 20, 2007
The performances in this drama film are amazing. As a heroin addict who spirals downwards, recovers, relapses and finally seems on the road to more lasting recovery, Benicio Del Toro is mesmerising. As the inconsolable Audrey, Halle Berry is the best she has ever been - nothing but credible. Together, they're magic!
Stefanie C

July 20, 2008
this is a good movie, thanks to Benicio del Toro. His role as a recovering and relapsing heroin junky is one of his best performances yet. halle berry has been in this role before. the film was a bit slow at times.
Emile T

Surprisingly great.
Remarkable performance from both leading actors.

Very touching movie.
Leigh R

September 2, 2007
AWESOME! Worth my time, that's for sure.
Drew S

October 21, 2007
Powerfully acted but overlong. No one will ever see this movie because the DVD cover is hideous. Life is unfair.

More later.
Nani V

March 7, 2008
Benicio Del Toro was great as usual. He gets so deep into the character. Halle Berry was pretty good. Better than usual. Beautiful story.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

September 24, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]"Things We Lost in the Fire" is a heartfelt and very well-acted(getting a good performance out of David Duchovny is like getting champagne out of a turnip) but flawed movie about the grieving process from director Susanne Bier. Unlike her earlier films("Open Hearts", "Brothers" and "After the Wedding"), this one lacks an edge and is more emotionally tidier in telling the story of the sudden death of Brian(David Duchovny), a successful real estate developer, and the effect this has on his widow Audrey(Halle Berry) who connects with Brian's childhood friend Jerry(Benicio Del Toro) who is now an addict. What would have definitely worked is if it had kept the non-linear structure demonstrated in the first half hour, mingling memories with the present day to explore the relationships between the characters. But instead, it gets the family dynamic wrong in both small and large ways, mostly for the convenience of the story. First it is hard to believe that Brian would go out to get ice cream alone, leaving his kids at home, since this is clearly a family treat and one they would enjoy together. But he has to go alone or there is no movie.(Unless maybe he had errands to run?) No matter how much pain Audrey may be in or feeling the need to act in her husband's name, I cannot think of any mother who would bring as unpredictable or dangerous an element as a drug addict into her house with two small children when her main task is to protect them. However, it is a very generous gesture.[/font]
Andrew F

October 21, 2007
A really wonderful drama with the great Halle Berry. I liked that the flashback sequences seamlessly blended with the rest of the film.
Yinalí R

October 20, 2007
The acting is terrific. The plot is perfect. And the ending just connected everything else.