Thirteen Ghosts (13 Ghosts) Reviews

½ July 25, 2007
an update of an original classic b-movie which, despite better technology, fails to drum up much in the scare department and is actually irritating to watch.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ August 9, 2010
This movie was Plainly terrible. The acting was horrible even by horror movie standards, and the story was just horrible. This film did have cool effects, which I did enjoy and kept my mind off the terrible story. In the end, not even the special effects saved this stupid ''horror'' film.
½ December 31, 2006
Another cool Dark Castle entertainment horror re-make. Didn't know of the original until I saw some reviews mention it. This reminded me a lot of the House on Haunted Hill remake made 2 years earlier. It's fun, not too serious, has a good mix of humour and gore/kills. The cast is ok and well known with Shannon Elizabeth and Matthew Lillard, but it was a nice surprise to see Tony Shalhoub (Monk) appear in this. What really makes this film enjoyable in my opinion, along with House on Haunted Hill, is the set design, make up and ghoulish characters created. Both films have a great wacky house setting, good SFX and the ghosts in this look awesome. A great way to enjoy 90mins. So if you liked House on Haunted Hill you will like this just as much.
deano
March 28, 2007
This horror story makes no sense whatsoever, and the gory spectres in the haunted house are so scary by killing all its human inhabitants.
The direction is tawdry and pedantic. Jump cuts and abrupt scene changes only carry so far. The lack of emotional involvement dooms this film from the start. It fails to establish an emotional connection with the main characters, and the ghosts are shown as evil, rather than victims.
Horror remake of 1960's 13 Ghosts.
3niR
February 15, 2010
This was creepy. But tiny bit.
FiLmCrAzY
September 9, 2007
it was an alright movie, scary and jumpy in parts with some creepy characters, i think the story is a bit more complicated then it needed to be and its not interesting enough to keep me watching!
i
July 11, 2007
A fun hyper-edited spooky action pic. A cool house with variety of freakish ghosts captured in glass cases; it's viscous death when some of them escape. Instead of offering the same ghost viewer gimmick the original 1960 version had, the makers had quick almost-subliminal flashes of the appartions, which left an eerie after-effect. I liked how the characters still needed special glasses to see the ghosts. All thirteen ghosts were wonderfully envisioned with live actors in costume and makeup, without the need for CGI, although some was used on the victims for the gorey body-slicing effects. I wish each ghost was given more detail, I hardly caught their names and specialties. Matthew Lillard played a weird psychic character. I didn't understand if Uncle Cyrus (F. Murray Abraham) was a ghost or human at the end because they were seeing him without the glasses. The little boy with his morbid curiosity was funny.
½ September 24, 2009
Not a very clever story and not a very good film.
½ September 11, 2009
My favorite brother saw this and immediately said it's the best movie he's ever seen, and he's a horror movie fanatic (so am I), but this movie just didn't do it for me. An extremely rich, yet mischievously evil 57-year-old man just died. He decides to leave his mansion to his nephew and his family. The proud new owners of this towering mansion that looks like a glass lover's dream come true, could go from worrying about how to pay all the bills to having no worries at all. But wait! If something seems like it's too good to be true, it usually is. They don't know it yet, but this mansion is terrifyingly haunted. There are several dead, ghostly spirits that reside in the building's basement that are dying to be released.
The family soon finds out that their lives are in great danger. They must figure out a way to escape from this place with a heart that still beats. But how? How in the world is it possible?

I have an older brother that swears that "Thirteen Ghosts" is the best movie he's ever seen. Horror movies are his favorite genre of films, and he says that unlike most of them, this one is actually scary. I agree with the latter. Whether it's the dead, bloody bodies of the ghosts flashing before your eyes like lightning, or the idea that somebody might die in a few seconds, "Thirteen Ghosts" succeeds at being fairly scary. If you own a basement, you might not want to venture to that underground room that you frequently run to when a tornado is in town, for awhile.

Unfortunately, that (being scary) and its convincing special effects is about all that "Thirteen Ghosts" succeeds at. The acting is a bit subpar, and the movie is way too predictable. Also, it's fun to watch the movie for awhile, but before it's over (even though it's real short at less than 90 minutes), it grows old. While I enjoyed the film much better than "House on Haunted Hill", it doesn't stand up to such horror greats as "The Haunting", "Pet Sematary", or "Poltergeist".

It's easy to see that "Thirteen Ghosts" strikes a major chord for some, but not for the majority. I recommend either renting it or watching it on TV before you buy it to see which side of the fence you're on when it comes to "Thirteen Ghosts". NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2002.
puffchunk
September 24, 2007
Oh man. When I poop at night, my poop poops this movie out.
½ November 7, 2006
Not as good as the original, but it was alright.
½ April 10, 2007
I had low hopes for this but it turned out that I enjoyed it a lot. The plot was new and interesting to me, I liked the set a great deal and the ghosts themselves were visually interesting. However, we never really got to know a lot about all the ghosts' background within the film - I would've liked a bit more, but as they've included more on the DVD I guess that's covered. Acting was average.
thmtsang
½ July 21, 2007
The original and the re-make were both terrible. Avoid!
November 10, 2007
Kinda enjoyed this one.
December 16, 2007
After the first half of the film, the novelty wears off suprisingly fast. Luckily, the movie is well made enough to keep it running... barely.
½ August 8, 2007
This is a great movie. It's scary and it has some comedic moments...very good.
garyX
½ May 30, 2007
I like Tony Shalhoub. I liked the set design. I enjoyed spotting the films it ripped off (including Cube, They Live, and even Ghostbusters.) I liked the fact that the tone was quite playful, rather than the usual annoyingly self serious way gore bores present themselves. But it is absolute drivel, but drivel I quite enjoyed. I'm off to self flagellate...
March 13, 2007
Cool monsters, bad movie.
½ March 1, 2007
I don't usually like gory movies but the ghosts were pretty damn cool looking.
December 27, 2006
Creepy. I liked it though.