On DVD:
    Mar 22, 2013
  • Universal Studios

What is with all the hate?

It may be a bit long but it's as funny as hell
Lee Augustus
01-9-2013 08:56 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Alex Santa Cruz

Alex Santa Cruz

I totally agree. I liked it, and it gets too much hate IMHO

Nov 5 - 12:36 AM

Loretta Norton

Loretta Norton

Interesting: The people who didn't care for it, aren't trying to figure out why other people liked it. But the people who liked it are trying to judge why anyone wouldn't like it. Good idea to just realize that everyone can have an opinion about a film. And it's okay. The real meaning of American tolerance. Respect other's opinions in this context.

May 5 - 08:28 PM

adilrye1467

Ryan Persaud

I actually liked it a lot more than I expected, given that it seemed like ANOTHER overlong Apatow film. But it was heartfelt, honest, funny and the characters were likable and well developed. I was honestly surprised how much I liked it.

Apr 23 - 12:58 PM

Matthew Giarmo

Matthew Giarmo

This may top my "Why Did They Make This Film?" list. Perhaps if it were titled This is NOT 40 or This is 20. Debbie likes Lady Gaga at age 40? If you like Lady Gaga at age 40, you have no brain and possibly no soul. At age 40, we should be watching such films as HUSBANDS AND WIVES (Woody Allen) and EYES WIDE SHUT (Stanley Kubrick), not any of the shallow, narcissistic, ADHD drivel of Apatow -- a man who proves Rain Man could pen screenplays. I suspect if Michael Bay made a $100 million film about his own marriage that it would look something like this. The problem with Apatow is he has no lower register. He only knows how to do shrill. So at age 40 it's hemorrhoids and gas (where was the prostate enlargement?) and at age 50 it will probably be incontinence and alcohol-induced dementia. But make no mistake, Apatow's universe begins and ends with bodily functions. Compare this film with the kind of chronic dissatisfaction, angst, and penchant for self-sabotage exhibited by the characters created by Woody Allen in Husbands & Wives (1992), among them the four best female characters in cinema. Apatow also seems as out of touch with the times as he is with people in general. I'm not buying Brooke's "Larry" -- a sexagenarian with three young in vitro sons who has been mooching off his son for years. This is the age where 30-year-olds are moving in with their parents and chronically unemployed PhDs and MBAs are being subsidized by retired parents with high school diplomas. And don't tell me Apatow expects anyone to identify with Pete the bicyclist when he has a run-in with the owner of a parked SUV. Most people today are fed up with having to scan for cyclists before opening their car doors or crossing the street. There is enough anti-cyclist sentiment out there to support a cathartic film.This film was painful to watch -- and not in a good "I am learning something," "isn't human nature fascinating" kind of way. I was writhing in my sofa cushion at minute 30 of the film. By the 2 hour 8 minute mark, I was retching. The one saving grace of this film is that we didn't get the obligatory, gratuitous exposure to a grown man's genitals. Sorry, but I can do better. I *am* doing better. My screenplay "You Belong to Me" puts my money where my mouth is ... and anything Apatow ever produced ... to shame.

Apr 22 - 12:15 PM

Loretta Norton

Loretta Norton

Bing.Go. Couldn't have said it better myself.

May 5 - 08:17 PM

Porcupine Glenn

Porcupine Glenn

Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Jun 6 - 01:45 AM

Adrienne Grierson

Adrienne Grierson

Absolutely hilarious. Wavelength issues for the naysayers is alI can think of. I did not even notice how long it was.

Mar 1 - 03:11 AM

hollis m.

hollis mills

i know ! Judd apatow movies are hysterical! i think people dont get the movie is because its like 20 years out of their liking. its a mid life crisis movie, the sooner you realize it, the better

Jan 9 - 06:41 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile