This Is Spinal Tap Reviews

½ May 17, 2015
Next to Blazing Saddles, the hardest I've ever laughed at the movies. I really thought my guts were going to spill out on the floor. That would of been gross.
May 4, 2015
Hilarious and fun from start to finish, this spoof documentary is a little treasure that deserves to be seen. Excellent.
½ November 16, 2011
Hilarious spoof on rock 'n roll from the '60s to the more predominant '80s. The music is not bad either!
½ April 10, 2015
It's hilarious, original, stupid, witty, poignant, and absurd on every level possible. This Is Spinal Tap does everything you'd expect a classic comedy to do.
½ July 15, 2007
Just never had an itch to see it. Still don't.
July 15, 2014
Not as consistently funny as its reputation, but.... this is one of very, very few movies which can lay claim to having scenes at the same level as Monty Python and the Holy grail. The stonehenge scene in particular is one of the greatest in the history of film comedy. Spinal Tap can also be credited as giving birth to the bountiful mockumentary genre, and the members of Spinal Tap have continued the gag brilliantly far beyond the release of the film.

As some have mentioned, while Spinal Tap may be an ingeniously ridiculous creation the Spinal Tap movie isn't just a gagfest. It is even more so a picture of burnout, symbolic of the (big) bottoming out of rock and roll culture at the time yes, but more specifically of the physical and emotional burnout of the band members, amid an aimless playing out the string. There are entire stretches of the movie that lag, which is why I've rated Spinal Tap slightly lower than Guffman and Best in Show. The draggy pace and empty sections may be for a purpose, but that purpose isn't comedy, which this movie at its best does better than nearly any other. Other films can show how drab and exhausting being on tour can be; only Spinal Tap can produce the volume, visuals, and yes, the smells, of rock culture at its most riotously, at times almost endearingly stupid and neanderthal. When it does, it soars, head-bangs and thrusts its way down from comedy heaven
September 19, 2007
its either hilarious, or it goes right over your head
February 28, 2015
A hilarious mockumentary about an 80's hair metal band attempting to stay relevant. So quotable.
½ January 8, 2015
Greatest mockumentary ever. Absolutely hysterical. Great, quotable lines. Nothing short of brilliance.

Grade = 8.5/10
½ June 26, 2012
quite funny. a classic.
January 29, 2015
Mockumentary may be an entire genre now, but this is the film that put it on the map. Full review later.
½ January 19, 2015
Grade: High 7/10

This is Spinal Tap is a film that has a cult following and I can kind
of see why, but not completely. It has it's many moments and I can't
deny laughs were had throughout but part of me did feel it was
overrated or one of those cult following films that aren't as good as
others say. I felt it was solidly good though and here below is why so.

The story is slow at first and the jokes don't flow as crazily as the
story but nevertheless jokes come off the reel with skill and
precision. I liked everything that is going on and I actually preferred
the arguments they all have to the music they play. I did enjoy the
music pieces and some the concert scenes can be hilarious and well
done, the movie does excel in making what could be stupid jokes into
actual smart ones.

The casting is very varied but they all work together well, all of the
main cast do a good job and to say it is a mockumentary style film they
really take to the part well. I like the more random cast more and the
little funny bits really stem from strange encounters the band have. I
think Rob Reiner does a good job not only delivering the questions as
he the documentary maker but also reacts really well too.

On to Rob Reiner again and he just happens to direct and co write this
movie too so all round Reiner really shows skill and although I believe
it could be funnier than it was, he still does a massively solid job.
Written by some of the main cast Christoper Guest, Michael McKean,
Harry Shearer and of course Reiner, This is Spinal Tap has quick smart
jokes and really allows the viewer to laugh at anything.

My main criticism is at the jokes, it is funny as I did feel it was a
tip top movie but part of me wanted to laugh more and for what some
people say, it isn't all that interesting either. It can bore you and
with me I felt it doesn't get off the mark well but does manage
actually to make some good jokes in the start so I'll give it that.

I think this movie was created for rock fans and comedy fans a like and
it really has a target demographic. I also felt whilst watching that
some people will find it funnier than I did and although I did laugh
quite a lot, there are more to be had here. Many will not like it and
think of it as kind of stupid and silly but I feel here you have to
want to watch it rather than just see if it is funny at all.

Overall I gave it a high 7/10 and felt it was solidly in that but it could
have maybe gone up just a little with a few things. In conclusion this
isn't a film that I absolutely loved but could easily see others loving
it, this really will come down to what you want in film and what you
want to see, but then again anyone should give it a go, and you should
in general laugh quite a bit if you have a funny bone.
January 28, 2015
There isn't a single scene in it that isn't funny.
January 16, 2015
A Classic comedy filled with brilliant acting and tons of improvisation.
½ January 15, 2015
Capturing the essence of rock and roll. Genuine laughs guaranteed!
½ September 4, 2014
The mockumentary makes you appreciate what rock and metal bands did by highlighting the hilarious struggles of a band, trying to survive, goes through. And then there's the songs..."big bottom, big bottom. Talk about mud flaps, my girl's got em." With hilarious, original songs and their drive for greatness Spinal Tap is a favorite band of any hard-rocker.
½ July 11, 2012
Part of what makes this a great film is that they managed to present it like a rock documentary, while not actually taking it as seriously as a documentary would. In other words, it's a playful mockumentary, and perhaps the best in that category. The film itself paints a pretty accurate caricature of what was the heavy metal image back in the early 1980's, and even if you don't get the satire, you might like the brilliant performances from the film's main cast. The film may only be 82 minutes long, but the pacing is actually quite finely balanced, and the writing is so good that the film's short length is used quite efficiently. Because rock is the core of what this film is about, the film-makers must have felt that it wouldn't be complete without spectacular set-pieces, and a heavy rock soundtrack (even if Spinal Tap's music is more similar to Deep Purple than any other band), and the soundtrack was the element of the film that I enjoyed the most. Of course, the humour was essentially the icing on the cake, with very memorable quotes. This is a film that perfectly encapsulates the rock and roll spirit, which is all the more ironic because the writers intended to play it for laughs.
December 13, 2014
To this day I mimic the shows great one liners....a full on classic and staple of any DVD collection.
December 9, 2014
This is without a doubt one of the best mockumentaries ever, the primal one. No other attempt at satirizing rockstars and their lifestyle was this funny and smart. Some of the jokes literally turned into daily one-liners, and nothing can beat that Stonehenge scene, seriously.
½ November 1, 2012
Perhaps not worthy of its title of one of the greatest films ever, but filled with lots of funny moments.