Critics Consensus: One Direction: This Is Us is Lightweight But Entertaining

Plus, Getaway crashes and burns, and Closed Circuit is well-acted but not quite suspenseful enough.

This week at the movies, we've got a popular boy band (the concert documentary One Direction: This Is Us), a desperate ex-racecar driver (Getaway, starring Ethan Hawke and Selena Gomez), and attorneys under surveillance (Closed Circuit, starring Eric Bana and Rebecca Hall). What do the critics have to say?

One Direction: This Is Us

63%

If you're a diehard fan of English/Irish pop sensations One Direction, no movie reviewer is likely to dissuade you from seeing One Direction: This Is Us. If, however, you're a parent or significant other who gets dragged to the theater, critics say there's a decent chance you'll find this slick, well-shot, admittedly skin-deep concert documentary to be reasonably entertaining. Directed by Morgan Spurlock (of Super Size Me fame), the film follows the group from its X-Factor beginnings to the big time, capturing the lads on stage in full 3D splendor. The pundits say that while One Direction: This Is Us is hardly muckraking (or even revelatory), it's a well-assembled and visually striking look at one of pop's hottest contemporary acts. (Take a look at this week's 24 Frames for a gallery of music documentaries.)

Getaway

Rarely does a film's title serve as an inadvertent warning, but critics say that's pretty much the deal with Getaway --audiences should get away from this borderline incompetent chase thriller at all costs. Ethan Hawke stars as an ex racecar driver whose wife has been abducted; to save her, he must follow the orders of the kidnapper (Jon Voight) and drive around Sofia, Bulgaria with a would-be carjacker (Selena Gomez) in tow. The pundits say Getaway is an implausible, suspense-free mess, and its chase sequences are ineptly staged and photographed. (Check out this week's Total Recall, in which we count down Voight's best-reviewed movies.)

Closed Circuit

42%

The time would seem ripe for a smart thriller about government surveillance; unfortunately, critics say Closed Circuit, while well-acted, is smart without being particularly thrilling. Eric Bana and Rebecca Hall star as attorneys and former sweethearts who find their loyalties tried and their lives in danger when they join the defense team of an accused terrorist; as they investigate the case, they find themselves under constant scrutiny. The pundits say Closed Circuit raises some interesting issues, but its plot is alternately predictable and far-fetched. (Watch our video interviews with Bana, and director John Crowley.)

Also opening this week in limited release:

• Our Nixon, a documentary utilizing footage shot by staffers during Nixon's administration, is at 91 percent.
  • I Declare War, an action comedy about a group of 13-year-olds participate in a militaristic daily game of capture the flag, is at 79 percent.
  • Brian DePalma's Passion, starring Rachel McAdams and Noomi Rapace in a thriller about the fraught relationship between a advertising executive and her ambitious assistant, is at 40 percent.
  • American Made Movie, a documentary about the state of domestic manufacturing, is at 40 percent.
  • Afternoon Delight, starring Juno Temple and Jane Lynch in a dramedy about an affluent mom who hires a stripper as a nanny, is at 35 percent.
  • The Lifeguard, starring Kristen Bell and Mamie Gummer in a dramedy about a thirtysomething woman whose professional and romantic failings lead her to try to relive her teenage years, is at 12 percent.

Comments

Vincent

Dickah Sperman

Lol, critics just love eating up lazy, half assed concert films. This is why I don't listen to them. They are paid and corrupted. Seriously, an Ethan Hawke film lower than a shitty 1D film? Give me a fuckin break. I'm going to see that Getaway film, so critics can kiss my ass. Fuck the 1D fans and those idiotic critics. I'll be seeing the Getaway on opening day and enjoy it. Plus, all I hear from every critic is "It has a horrible plot or it's cliched." Meanwhile, Nicolas Shitting Refn makes Drive, and critics eat it up. Also, how does OGF have a 34%?

Aug 29 - 04:47 PM

Vincent

Dickah Sperman

OGF should have a 0% since it was a shit fueled film. Oh, but pretentious and artsy Refn fanboys will eat it up. I mean seriously Drive was one of the worst films ever. Yet that has a 90%

Aug 29 - 04:53 PM

Myron

Myron Kinsey

Drive is awesome! But yes, Only God Forgives was pretty bad which is a shame because I like Refn and Gosling.

Aug 29 - 05:14 PM

Vincent

Dickah Sperman

In my opinion, Drive fucking sucked. I felt cheated out of the trailer. I expected something crazy, but got a fucking romance film. And then, when the action came, it was covered in gore and shit.

Aug 29 - 05:40 PM

Son C. Loya

Son C. Loya

you make $27h...good for you! I make up to $85h working from home. My story is that I quit working at shoprite to work online and with a little effort I easily bring in around $45h to $85h?heres a good example of what I'm doing,> w瓀瓀.D璾璪񪶬.C璷璵

Aug 31 - 06:46 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

Drive? Worst Movie? C'Mon, Drive is better than Getaway. Besides Ryan Gosling still knows how to race. Selena Gomez and Ethan Hawke... weird chemistry but terrible on-screen.

Aug 29 - 06:37 PM

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor

Well, I would certainly hope so! Drive has a 93% rating (though, too high in my opinion) and Getaway is hangin' tough at 1% (which may be the rottenest I've ever seen on this site). It's like comparing fine dining and a dog shit dinner, is there really any point?

Aug 30 - 09:35 AM

Bradly Martin

You should give concert films more of a chance dude. If you think one direction is a shallow loud 15 seconds of fame until the next five tween studio manufactured faces and voices come along to replace them in a perpetual wheel of shallow pop, then you like the critics should praise this documentary for proving that thats all they are.

Aug 29 - 08:19 PM

Jake

Jake Armistead

It doesn't though does it, it pure corporate propaganda to make them look perfect to their fans. They deserve the fame like a nacho with jesus in it deserves fame.

Aug 29 - 11:53 PM

Ken Wolfson

Ken Wolfson

best concert film was 'stop making sense'

Aug 30 - 08:18 AM

Bradly Martin

What does fame have to do with weather you deserve it or not? Thats ridiculous dude. Make them look perfect how? It completely analyzes how 5 pretty looking guys who don't sing really well and could never be famous on there own were mashed together by the Pop culture genius Simon Cowell. This is how all famous music works now. It's all shallow and all fleeting, just like Fame.

Aug 30 - 06:52 PM

Julee Jee

Julee Jee

what Francis implied I'm blown away that a mom can earn $7879 in four weeks on the internet. look at this web-site ------> WEP6.COM

Aug 31 - 06:25 AM

Dmitri Mohammed

Dmitri Mohammed

I'm sure you pick up all the girls with your immense maturity

Aug 31 - 01:03 PM

Blake Garlick

Blake Garlick

my neighbor's step-mother makes $83 an hour on the computer.Get the facts.== > w瓀瓀.B璦瓂񬅟.c璷璵

Sep 1 - 05:27 AM

Jason Krumvieda

Jason Krumvieda

Drive was a terrible movie. It may have had good acting and a good story but the pacing is what killed it for me. On top of that nothing happened, there was no real action sequences and when there was something exciting it didn't last very long and was odd. But the critics loved it like the loved No Country For Old Men. That was a terrible movie also.

Sep 1 - 06:24 AM

Vincent

Dickah Sperman

Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa! No Country for Old Men was amazing.

Sep 1 - 09:09 AM

Mark Vandrell

Mark Vandrell

No Country was good for 3/4th of the movie. Then that ending came...

Sep 2 - 05:40 AM

Brad and Netflix

I liked the ending.

Sep 2 - 11:33 AM

Vits

Vicente Torres

Don't talk like that about movies you haven't seen. I'm sure that critics didn't compare THIS IS US and GETAWAY directly. But even then, there must be a reason.

Aug 29 - 07:03 PM

Owen Bragg

Owen Bragg

And what I have learned has blown my mind.My friends sister has been making 78$ a day.Shocking but true.See more at.== > w瓀瓀.B璦瓂񬅟.c璷璵

Sep 5 - 05:54 AM

Greg Baltzer

Greg Baltzer

Sorry, but Drive was great. Wasn't what I was expecting neither but that doesn't take away from the fact that it still a powerful film.

Aug 29 - 08:39 PM

Chris Eaton

Chris Eaton

Butthurt fanboy alert.

Aug 30 - 05:14 AM

Mark Vandrell

Mark Vandrell

Seriously though, as someone before mentioned - why do these crappy band/singer concert movies get somewhat high ratings from the critics here... the music sucks, the movies suck... its baffling.

Aug 30 - 10:05 AM

Anita Mori

Anita Mori

The The Ladies Man mellow out..

Aug 30 - 10:08 AM

Aug 29 - 08:19 PM

Jake

Jake Armistead

Aug 29 - 11:53 PM

Ken Wolfson

Ken Wolfson

best concert film was 'stop making sense'

Aug 30 - 08:18 AM

Sep 1 - 05:27 AM

Jason Krumvieda

Jason Krumvieda

Sep 1 - 06:24 AM

Vincent

Dickah Sperman

Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa! No Country for Old Men was amazing.

Sep 1 - 09:09 AM

Mark Vandrell

Mark Vandrell

No Country was good for 3/4th of the movie. Then that ending came...

Sep 2 - 05:40 AM

Aug 29 - 05:40 PM

Son C. Loya

Son C. Loya

Aug 31 - 06:46 PM

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Andrew Brinkerhoff

Well, don't think I'll be hitting the theater up this weekend.

Concert films seem to be semi-critic-proof; all of the ones that I've seen come out recently (Katy Perry, 1D, even Glee) have received generally favorable feedback from critics. Sure as heck won't convince me to see this thing, though.

As soon as I saw Selena Gomez was in "Getaway" I had a bad feeling about it; I've thought her acting abilities were/are nonexistent since that "Wizards of Waverly Place" stuff premiered 6 years ago. Although I'm sure there are many other things wrong with the film as well judging by that 0%.

I didn't even know about "Closed Circuit" until today, but looking at the consensus I think I can probably skip it.

Aug 29 - 05:20 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

I don't even understand the point of concert movies. If you want to hear these people sing, just go and find an actual concert.

Aug 29 - 05:23 PM

Vincent

Dickah Sperman

It's propaganda shit. Only tweens will go out and see it because millennials nowadays just like Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus.

Aug 29 - 05:32 PM

Bradly Martin

hate to sound ignorant but..whats a millennial?

Aug 29 - 08:20 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

People who were born around 2000 (the new millenia)

Aug 29 - 09:07 PM

Bradly Martin

Thank you for your respectful answer. Feeling Old now.

Aug 30 - 06:53 PM

Greg Baltzer

Greg Baltzer

Not every band tours everywhere. I buy tons of concert DVD's. Most of the bands I like I'll never see because they only tour in the bigger cities. I'd rather watch the Big 4 concert than this shit any day.

Aug 29 - 08:43 PM

Vincent

Dickah Sperman

Aug 29 - 05:32 PM

Bradly Martin

hate to sound ignorant but..whats a millennial?

Aug 29 - 08:20 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

People who were born around 2000 (the new millenia)

Aug 29 - 09:07 PM

Bradly Martin

Thank you for your respectful answer. Feeling Old now.

Aug 30 - 06:53 PM

Cooper Jones

Cooper Jones

I think i'll just stay home and watch that one rush documentary

Aug 29 - 05:36 PM

Vincent

Dickah Sperman

Aug 29 - 05:40 PM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

Bring on the Riddick!

Aug 29 - 06:12 PM

Sir Phobos

Sir Phobos

The One Direction film should burn in eternal hell fire.

Aug 29 - 06:22 PM

Daniel Irwin

Daniel Irwin

Morgan Spurlock needs to apologize for the film, and go back to doing films in the same realm of of "Super Size Me".

Aug 30 - 07:49 AM

Aug 29 - 07:03 PM

Owen Bragg

Owen Bragg

Sep 5 - 05:54 AM

Vits

Vicente Torres

I didn't hate the Justin Bieber movie. But I feel 1D are the stereotype of the boy band where NONE of the members are interesting.

Wow! I would've never guessed that GETAWAY would score that low! If it truly is the worst example of fast pacing, I'll watch it as a sort of film class.

PASSION is a remake of CRIME D'AMOUR. It's clear that Brian DePalma took the concept and over-sexualized. But one of the things that made the original so good was its subtlety.

AFTERNOON DELIGHT's premise sounds like the plot of a sitcom episode. Actually, I'm pretty sure they've done that. More than once.

Aug 29 - 07:08 PM

Aug 29 - 08:19 PM

Jake

Jake Armistead

Aug 29 - 11:53 PM

Ken Wolfson

Ken Wolfson

best concert film was 'stop making sense'

Aug 30 - 08:18 AM

Aug 30 - 06:52 PM

Bradly Martin

hate to sound ignorant but..whats a millennial?

Aug 29 - 08:20 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

People who were born around 2000 (the new millenia)

Aug 29 - 09:07 PM

Bradly Martin

Thank you for your respectful answer. Feeling Old now.

Aug 30 - 06:53 PM

Bradly Martin

WOW thats a low film score, Selena Gomez really is the new Vanessa Hudgens. Those women just cant catch a break.

Aug 29 - 08:22 PM

Greg Baltzer

Greg Baltzer

Aug 29 - 08:39 PM

Greg Baltzer

Greg Baltzer

Aug 29 - 08:43 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I wanna see De Palma's "Passion" and I may check out "Closed Circuit" eventually. Despite the rating, man, Kristen Bell sure does have some beautiful thighs. (Don't hate me because I'm horny....)

Aug 29 - 08:53 PM

Jon Cox

Jon Cox

this is why Labor Day weekend sucks
SKIPPING EVERYTHING THIS WEEKEND!

Aug 29 - 09:02 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup
Weekly Ketchup

Read the Comic-Con revelations

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships