67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

This Means War Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 7, 2014
Another bland, boring and misfire of a romantic comedy, this film could have been terrific, but it wastes all its potential on such a lacking script that elements that normally would gel together simply don't. Instead, This Mean War is a tedious affair, a film that relies on genre clichés in order to create its plot and jokes. I must admit, I did smile a few times, but I didn't laugh one bit. This film really could have been much better, but as it is, it's a film that misses the mark. Considering that Tom Hardy was in this, I was hoping that he would this dreadful picture, but he didn't. This Means War is void of laughter, and it doesn't reinvent the genre in any way. I didn't this film to be as bad as it is, but sadly it is, and it's a film not worth seeing. I was mildly curious to watch the film because, the premise pretty good, but the execution just doesn't deliver. The film might have looked good on paper, but on celluloid it's a whole different story. This is simply a dull picture, one that doesn't succeed at making you laugh or more importantly, entertain you. This is your typical rom-com, and it's quite predictable and though it uses an interesting idea for a story, the payoff is quite weak, and most all, Hardy's skills as an actor are wasted here. However, at least his filmography is pretty solid, and with this bomb, it doesn't anything do tarnish his incredible work. Same goes for Chris Pine, who was wonderful in Star Trek, Smoking Aces and Bottle Shock. This Means War is a wasted opportunity and it really should have been a good affair, but it relies far too much on genre clichés to create its plot that it's just a flat, boring film that fails to grab your attention.
Dean !

April 7, 2013
This was an enjoyable film, good to see that there are a few big budget Action/Rom-Coms being made that have a great balance of action and humour. Similar to True lies, Knight & Day and Date Night so if you liked any of those you'll enjoy this to.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

March 20, 2012
Unsurprisingly enough an average, unfunny comedy.
Amoungst the Love triangle, there's a pointless understory, undeveloped characters and not enough action to make this movie any more exciting.
Sophie B

October 4, 2012
A fun and cheeky film with some good comedy, but the end is a total sell out. I won't recommend it, purely because the end is so terrible. Neither male characters are desirable by the end which makes me feel this film is pointless.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

January 12, 2011
"It would just be two stars but Tom Hardy is worth the extra half. Now to the movie. It wasn't as funny as I was hoping. The action, when there was some, was pretty good. I enjoyed it more then I did the comedy part. Chris Pine makes it easy to love him in this movie with that smart-ass wit and those gorgeous eyes. Tom Hardy is funny and easy to love as well. Just look and listen to him. I could forever LOL. Anyways, Witherspoon was just OK for me. The guys really outshined her. I would like to see them in a great action flick."
Cynthia S

May 11, 2012
I enjoyed this. I do have a soft spot for Reese's movies. I find her very cute, funny, and sweet. Plus, I am a Tom Hardy fan...very much so! On that note, I may be a bit biased, but I found this movie very enjoyable.
Joshua W

July 1, 2012
Why? Why did anyone think this would have been a good idea? Two spies fall for the same girl and have to duke it out for her heart. First off, NO ONE IN THIS FILM IS LIKEABLE! Each person in the love triangle either lie and or cheat on a person with another person. Chris Pine is the womanizer dirtbag who just wants to get in Witherspoon's pants and tries to trick us into thinking he has a heart. Witherspoon is a unlikeable character who tries to screw anyone who are willing. And shock shock Tom Hardy is the only person you somewhat like. Hardy, to me, is a great actor and I dont understand why he's doing films like these. I almost think think that the writer wrote the part for Hardy and that was the only reason he was like, "sure, why not." I will say this about the film: If you watch it as a 2 hour music video (which it is) then you might enjoy it............... why is Til Schweiger in this film? 3/10
Luke B

June 13, 2012
You can easily see the initial appeal of this film. With a good mixture of comedy, romance, and action, it seems like the perfect date movie for those couples that subscribe to gender genres. Something for the girls and something for the boys. This Means War has two CIA agents battling for the affections of the same woman. It all starts out innocently enough, but when Reese declares a sex "tie breaker" I lost all respect for her. Had the genders been switched, this movie would've had a completely different ending. Pine plays FDR, the womanising cool cat that originally sees this as a sport. Hardy is the sensitive guy with a son and a failed marriage. He has genuine feelings for the girl. They start to spy on Witherspoon, which gives them insights into how their dates went, and Pine learns to be a bit more sensitive whilst Hardy lets loose with his more cavalier side. I really didn't feel much chemistry between Witherspoon and either of the lads, but this may be because Pine and Hardy had such fantastic chemistry. I never once doubted their friendship and feel this should have been the true focus. They did bromance without making us doubt their masculinity. There's also a plot involving Schweiger's evil German coming for revenge after the boys kill his brother in the beginning, but this is just for a quick and convenient action ending that can wrap things up. The comedy is very gentle but does manage a few chuckles. The romance is sweet at times but also ruined by a certain air of creepiness from the boys and bitchiness on Witherspoon's part, and the action is very well handled but also very far apart. For a lot of people the biggest thrill will be seeing who WItherspoon ends up with. Simple and competent but like so many spy comedies, it just needed some balls.
Al S

November 28, 2011
A sexy and stylish action-comedy. It`s swift, smart, outragious and wickedly enjoyable movie thats loaded with explosive action, crisp romance and great humor from start to finish. A perfect blend of a spy-action film mixed with romance and buddy comedy. A wildy hilarious and extreamly entertaining movie that you cant get enough of. Chris Pine and Tom Hardy are a dream team, they have wickedly good chemistry together and are a charming and awesome action duo. These guys are too much fun to watch, two great stars with lots of heart keep this film going strong. Reese Witherspoon is a delight, she and her two co-stars bring on loveable and fun romantic chemistry. A thrilling, slick, fall-down funny action romp. Director, McG`s best film yet. If you loved films like True Lies and Mr. and Mrs. Smith, This Means War is your tickett to a great time.
Stuart B

June 5, 2012
Nothing new to see here in this movie, every single scene feels as though it has been ripped off from another movie. Also, Reece Witherspoon is TERRIBLE! She cannot act, has no comic timing and has a head like a skull with skin stretched across it.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

June 1, 2012
It's SPY against SPY.

Very enjoyable movie! The movie never took itself too seriously, which was refreshing, it had a few heartfelt moments, but nothing too sappy. It stayed on the side of comedy over romance, and wasn't overly predictable. From a guys point of view there was enough action and comedy to keep me interested. For those looking to take a date or see a movie with a girl, this movie pleases both genders.

Two CIA agents, Tuck and Frank who are also best friends, have been benched because someone's after them. Tuck is divorced with a son whom he's not close to and Frank is a ladies man. Tuck decides to try and find someone so he places his profile on a dating website. Lauren, a woman also looking for a guy sees tuck's profile and goes with him. She later bumps into Frank and he hits on her and she goes out with him. she's intrigued by both of them. When they learn that they're dating the same girl, they agree to let her choose. But both can't help but use their skills to keep tabs on her and each other. And also sabotage each others dates with her.
Scott G

March 25, 2012
Although it has a good cast, the film suffers from a weak characterization and plot, leaving nothing but a bit of comedy for the audience.
thmtsang
thmtsang

February 11, 2012
Two best buddies who are CIA agents compete for the affections of the same girl. Young James Bond. I'm for team Hardy. He's more manly than baby face Chris Pine. Reese is very glam. Good cast. Funny rom com.
Cameron S

March 11, 2012
Fun. Fun. Fun. An enjoyable two hours that didn't achieve greatness but never even tried too. It knew exactly what it was and was comfy with that, and so was I. Mix this sense of enjoyability with a few good laughs and positive atmoshere in the cinema and what do you get? Fun.
Dr114
Dr114

March 6, 2012
Unfunny, poorly written and just plain lame. All of it is just wrong. The characters are messed up people, (Tom Hardy seems like a good guy at first but then the film seems to lose interest in trying to make him look good and goes for Chris Pine later in the movie.) These characters are very one-dimensional. They tried to make this a mix of action and romance, but failed. It's a very forgettable movie.
jjnxn
jjnxn

March 4, 2012
Cartoony romp has a slick surface but not much underneath. What it does have are three charming actors who work hard to buoy it with their personality and charisma. Tom Hardy and Chris Pine work well together actually their chemistry with each other is much stronger- than either share with their female co-star. Reese is ditzy and sweet but who ever was in charge of her hair should be ashamed, it looks distractingly like straw. The director's roots in music videos are painfully obvious and he does nothing to smooth out the many kinks in the borderline creepy plot. Wasted in nothing parts are Til Schweiger a good actor stuck in a standard villain part that must have been larger in the original script and Angela Bassett, a great actress in a stick figure part that is so far beneath her abilities it's a crying shame. Silly and painless you'll forget it as soon as it's over. All involved have made better films and will again.
Tired of Previews
Tired of Previews

March 3, 2012
Directed by McG, 20th Century Fox, 2012.

Starring: Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine, Tom Hardy, Angela Bassett, Rosemary Harris,Til Schweiger, Abigail Spencer and Chelsea Handler.

Genre: Action, Comedy, Romance.

Question: How would feel if a handsome British man, with a sultry accent, asked you out for a first date and wanted to meet you an Irish pub; AND then later that day you had an equally hot American man, with the sexiest blue eyes, hit on you in a DVD store while you were searching for a movie to rent? Well, I would think I had died and gone to heaven - TWICE!!

I believe This Means War was made for ME! I mean, seriously, there are two hot guys with qualities that get me weak in the knees and then you mix in romance, humor and action; I am so there. However, I glanced at some of the reviews of this movie (which ripped the movie apart) and it sort of turned me off. Also, I had a feeling the preview showed WAY TOO MUCH. Well, I was right about the preview. Nearly every funny line Chelsea Handler's character had been already shown in the trailer; but I was wrong in thinking this was going to be a bad movie. Was it a great film? No, however, it was a fun movie that was worth the watch.

The part that surprised me the most and why I enjoyed This Means War was due to one of the actors and their performance. No, I am not going to say Chris Pine, even though I am a fan of his, but Tom Hardy. I only recall seeing him in one other movie, Inception, which he was decent in but he didn't stand out to me. Now in this movie he was front and center and it made me want to see more of him. He plays a CIA agent named Tuck; a charmer with a heart of gold and in some of the scenes he was quite sexy in such an endearing way. I simply wasn't expecting that. He was why I liked this movie. His responses and reactions were just precious. And the movie was still pretty funny despite the trailer showing too many of the jokes.

There were only four to five people in the theatre when I saw This Means War but each of us laughed out loud several times. The comedic chemistry between the two men worked and it worked well. Chris Pine and Tom Hardy looked like they had a blast with their characters and it showed on-screen. Their relationship is what also made this movie enjoyable.

Now on the flip-side, the women were the disappointment in this movie. First, I will admit I am not a fan of Chelsea Handler, and I just don't see her appeal or get her sense of humor so I was a little biased on that casting choice. Second, Reese Witherspoon's and Chelsea Handler's characters were apparently best friends but there wasn't any real chemistry between them. Finally, the character Reese Witherspoon played was just kind of boring that I ended up not really caring all that much about her or her dilemma.

Another part that didn't work for me for this film had to be the editing or the overall care the film-makers took on the movie. It seemed rushed or an amateur attempt at telling a story. There were some good parts but something just seemed missing as a whole package.

So with all that said, the men made This Means War worth it for me. Perhaps a male reviewer might have a different interpretation. But, honestly, their characters were just more developed and better acted. (Okay, okay, they were both not hard to look at for two hours. Fine, I will admit it!)

My favorite thing: Tom Hardy was a delight.

My least favorite thing: The editing and Chelsea Handler - although when she wasn't going for a laugh she was pretty good.

Rating: R
Length: 97 minutes

Review: 5 out of 10
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

March 2, 2012
"It's SPY against SPY."

Two top CIA operatives wage an epic battle against one another after they discover they are dating the same woman.

REVIEW
This Means War is an action romance with paint by numbers action and totally implausible romance. Although the love triangle consists of improbably beautiful characters, their love war lacks the minimum fire and wit of the worst Judd Apatow comedy. The triangle is less interesting than in Twilight or Les Miserables but just about as humorless. The war motif turns out to be too warlike-surprisingly unromantic.

Even in Apatow there is some semblance of reality such as bachelor partying in Vegas, but in This Means War no single scene rings true from a government agent living in an apartment with a swimming pool, and accompanying babes, above the glass of the hallway to using government equipment to spy on a romantic rival. Agents FDR (Chris Pine) and Tuck (Tom Hardy), best friends who sit at desks across from each other, unknowingly date the same eligible lady, Lauren (Reese Witherspoon). Their competition, once they find out about the sharing, is characterized by adolescent reactions and high-tech snooping, none of which is either funny or smart. Director McG places an image of Redford and Newman as Butch and Sundance on a screen to let us know the buddy film is alive and well. However, Pine and Hardy do not have the same chemistry or lines although they are in the competition with the iconic stars for good looks.

The clichéd subplot has the two agents pursuing foreign bad guy Heinrich (Til Schweiger, a European star relegated to looking very mean and nothing else) on a case assigned by a very angry Collins (Angela Bassett in a thanklessly grumpy role). When they all meet up (including Lauren), the usual car chase ensues with the usually improbable results. Not even the over-the-top effects and quips help in this formulaic denouement. Although allowance for absurdity should always be made in fantasies like this, some semblance of reality is necessary for the audience to be able to laugh at their own fallible humanity through the characters. Not here does it happen.
Josh L

February 17, 2012
A harmless piece of fluff that does nothing substantially well, but offers 2 hours of decent entertainment if you turn your brain off enough and enjoy some popcorn with it. It's fairly predictable (apparently I turned my brain off too much going in because I missed a few things leading up to the "pick" between the two leading men", but I didn't mind too much), but the thing that bothered me was that the best part was Tom hardy and Chris Pine vying for Reese Witherspoon's affection and they had to shoehorn a ridiculously stupid CIA plot to go with it. That plot was boring and stupid. You would rather see Hardy and Pine go back and forth at each other. No one gives an outstanding performance, but I didn't see anything bad either. It's your typical McG action comedy, which means you'll watch it and enjoy a little bit of it in the moment, then forget about it the next day. Nothing that's really wrong with that... I guess.
Everett J

February 26, 2012
"This Means War" is an interesting and quasi fresh romantic comedy. It's about to CIA operatives who begin to date the same girl, and have a "gentlemen" competition to see who she likes more. Chris Pine and Tom Hardy star as the two fighting over Reese Witherspoon. The three of them are perfect, and make the movie entertaining. Especially Hardy, he is a real star in the making. The issue I have with the movie is the direction and the way it's all put together. It's kind of rushed in spots, and they have this side story with bad guys that doesn't really flesh out, and could have been dropped altogether. Whenever the movie veers away from the love triangle, is when it is at it's worst. Luckily it gets back on track, with some "meh"action scenes, and offers a good conclusion. Men and women will both like it, probably not love it, but it is entertaining.