This Means War Reviews

½ November 29, 2014
I thought this film was pretty good. I thought Witherspoon and Hardy were entertaining. I don't like Chris Pine very much but he was decent here. The action was pretty good. 7/10
November 24, 2014
When the trailer first came out for this, I was not impressed, nor by the posters. I feel the promotional materials don't give a true sense of the feel of the movie. Reese's image on the poster is nothing like her character. She's quirky enough to be fun but not really out there, she enjoys her job (maybe she works a lot, but it does actually look fun), she's been hurt by a life choice, and has a friend who cares about her. That friends love comes out in very weird, pretty gross ways, but we finally get to see the softer side of her by the end. It's because of the friend that some of the nuttiness ensues. This is not a romantic comedy. It's more like action comedy. With the men being spies, their antics get [illegally] amped up, but their friendship is a nice change from most male relationships onscreen. While I can't condone a lot of the behavior, I did actually find it very funny.
November 2, 2014
es más mala que buena TBH =/
½ October 30, 2014
The first scene pretty much tells you everything you need to know about this film which was marketed as an action thriller but is really a bottom of the barrel rom-com. The language is terrible and the plot is worse.
October 25, 2014
'This Means War' is a generally entertaining action-comedy starring Chris Pine and Tom Hardy as two CIA operatives who fall for the same woman, played by Reece Witherspoon. Whilst it's definitely not a bad film, the film unfortunately progresses to a pretty poor ending accompanied by some weak special effects, nonetheless it's still a film worth watching if you're interested in a cheesy popcorn flick.
October 26, 2014
An at-times entertaining flick with so-so acting and terrible editing.
September 29, 2014
The only thing got me with this is Chris Pine and Tom Hardy. Sadly they team up in a cheesy McG chick flick. Though it has some slight humor improvements. There are a lot of repetitions here and there. But the more it gets me into it. The more boredom of cliche moments which seriously it will not work either. Pine and Hardy is obviously having a good time with their performances though it did not impress me enough. Another bad McG flick and the sad thing is its 2 hours of mindless chick flick.
½ September 28, 2014
Next to Michael Bay, it's become far to in vogue to discredit McG simply for his style. However, This Means War excels with an excellent balance of comedy and action. Essential viewing? Ofcoarse not. Tons of fun? Absolutely.
½ September 27, 2014
This has to be Reese Witherspoon's worst movie. Normally I really like her movies.. but not this one. Bad plot, not enough character development and sends a really bad message in the end.
½ September 23, 2014
There are some good laughs to be had, but the premise which sees two secret agents (Pine and Hardy) compete for the affection of a woman (Witherspoon) whose apartment they have bugged, is so morally bankrupt and unethical, it's rather difficult to embrace the film - much less when seeing how it actually ends with little regard to consequence. It's a testament to the cast's easy charm they still keep the film watchable.
September 14, 2014
A dopey, loud, guilty pleasure.
August 31, 2014
Maybe I was watching a different, more enjoyable movie, but this was better than the critics' 26% rating. Reading some of the critics' reviews reaffirmed my cynicism regarding their value. Granted, I can share some of the doubt cast at Reese Witherspoon's being cast, but then...who else? So, just as well. She was quirky-cute and empowered, which I prefer to a vapid Elle Woods knockoff. Chris Pine and Tom Hardy were a lot of fun. Anyway, I was entertained. Discount the pedant critics' opinions and give the movie a moment. There are far worse films rated more favorably.
½ August 25, 2014
Mix of rom-com and action film this is the story of two CIA agents and best friends, FDR and Tuck, that fall for the same girl, pretty product tester, Lauren and use every single trick in the book to get her first.
I don't think is worth talking much about this movie. It is a formulaic love triangle with the added interest of the surveillance technology gadgets and the spy stuff. It is too unbelievable, I mean why any of these beautiful people are still single? Why would you destroy an extremely expensive -and publicly owned- drone so your rival doesn't get to see your date? Why would you say no to the chance to sleep with Mr. Tom Hardy? Why would you ask your best friend to be your best man just before jumping off a plane? Why, why, indeed...
Don't waste too much time with this movie, even if you are a huge fan of the very likeable lead actors the script is so cheesy and full of flaws that it is at times unpalatable.
½ August 22, 2014
sweet, romantic but quite typical
½ August 10, 2014
One of the better romantic comedies, at least for guys. It has it's many faults just like any other R/C, but passible.
August 15, 2014
A couple of laughs and some tight direction keep things fresh but both the two stars of this review belong to Tom Hardy who gives a brilliant performance, shining above everything else.
June 20, 2012
A pretty decent movie...it wasn't as entertainin' as the preview lead people to believe but it did have a pretty good/decent storyline and the characters were not that bad either. I thought it was okay.
½ July 17, 2014
Completely panders to the audience. It shoves action, romance and comedy down our throats and none of it sticks.
July 10, 2014
Three reasons why I actually liked this subpar rom-com: Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine, and Tom Hardy. Need I say more?
TheDudeLebowski65
July 7, 2014
Another bland, boring and misfire of a romantic comedy, this film could have been terrific, but it wastes all its potential on such a lacking script that elements that normally would gel together simply don't. Instead, This Mean War is a tedious affair, a film that relies on genre clichés in order to create its plot and jokes. I must admit, I did smile a few times, but I didn't laugh one bit. This film really could have been much better, but as it is, it's a film that misses the mark. Considering that Tom Hardy was in this, I was hoping that he would this dreadful picture, but he didn't. This Means War is void of laughter, and it doesn't reinvent the genre in any way. I didn't this film to be as bad as it is, but sadly it is, and it's a film not worth seeing. I was mildly curious to watch the film because, the premise pretty good, but the execution just doesn't deliver. The film might have looked good on paper, but on celluloid it's a whole different story. This is simply a dull picture, one that doesn't succeed at making you laugh or more importantly, entertain you. This is your typical rom-com, and it's quite predictable and though it uses an interesting idea for a story, the payoff is quite weak, and most all, Hardy's skills as an actor are wasted here. However, at least his filmography is pretty solid, and with this bomb, it doesn't anything do tarnish his incredible work. Same goes for Chris Pine, who was wonderful in Star Trek, Smoking Aces and Bottle Shock. This Means War is a wasted opportunity and it really should have been a good affair, but it relies far too much on genre clichés to create its plot that it's just a flat, boring film that fails to grab your attention.