This Must Be The Place Reviews

½ May 4, 2014
Sorrentino's languorous photography, understated humor, and quiet but profound dramatic reveals coil together into something organic, whole, and achingly sweet. If the movie doesn't entirely get past its hard-to-buy premise, director Paolo Sorrentino does have the courage of his convictions, not just embracing every contradiction but spinning many of the story's contrivances into moments of strange, aching beauty. Feels like a cult movie waiting to happen, or perhaps a mad experiment gone wrong. Either way, it's worth watching Penn, perhaps unwittingly, taking Jeff Spicoli to the burned-out end we might have guessed for him back at Ridgemont High. Quirky, hilarious and moving, Sorrentino's first English-lingo production is a road trip of stunning scope yet deep intimacy, featuring an aged rock star-turned-Nazi hunter played by Sean Penn at his transformative best. It's hard to imagine sitting through the film without Penn in the role of Cheyenne. But there he is, in all his intense, bizarre glory, almost daring us to come along for the ride and rewarding us with a compelling trip when we accept. Place isn't emotionally or dramatically satisfying in the least, but it has a visual fingerprint that's worth a look, boosted by an undeniably memorable performance from Penn. Worth catching for the stunning soundtrack and Sorrentino's mad direction.

VERDICT: "High-Quality Stuff" - [Positive Reaction] This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent. (Films that are rated 3.5 or 4 stars)
½ April 4, 2014
Bon film o¨ Sean Penn est juste Únormissime.
March 25, 2014
Beautifully filmed, but oddly distant and more eccentric than interesting. Depending upon your point of view, Sean Penn is either giving a brilliant performance or the worst of his career. A case could be made for both perspectives.
March 5, 2014
An amazing story about emptiness - if you get to see beyond the surfice.
February 27, 2014
Profound, hard-hitting, and often beautiful. The acting, directing, dialogue, score speak through their moments of silence.
February 14, 2014
Melodrama with touches of detective novel and road movie, it tells us the story of Cheyenne, a 50 year old goth that used to be the leader of a rock band but that has fallen into disgrace after two fans took their own lives after listening to his songs. Days go by slowly in a tedious routine with his wife in his huge half empty mansion in Ireland until he learns that his estranged father has died in USA. Travelling over there he finds out that his father was in a Nazi camp during the II World War and that the official in charge of it is still around living somewhere in rural America. For some reason Cheyenne decides to look for this Nazi criminal; he then starts this journey through the roads of the heartland of US.
The movie required a strong lead character and Sean Penn certainly fits the bill though I feel he over acts. Or maybe is that some of the features of Cheyenne are a little cartoon like, the big hair, the little voice, the clickety-clack luggage, the excessively shy personality... It would have had more impact if the main character was a regular Joe trying to pay the mortgage. Cheyenne gives a touch of comedy to a dramatic story of self discovery, but it could have totally worked without it. It didn't need the comedy at all, it detracts from the solid and meaningful plot. Plus there are too many issues for Cheyenne apart of the broken relationship with his father, issues that are left unanswered: his guilt over the death of the two youngsters, his shyness, his lack of children, his very particular relationship with his health obsessed wife... In return there are cool scenes embedded of philosophical meaning which I really appreciate.
February 25, 2013
Outstanding performance by Sean Penn!!! He is probably one of the greatest actor alive.. The movie is strange but if you give it a chance it is quite good although there are parts that don't work.
½ January 19, 2014
I liked this, liked the main character. Such an odd character, it was really neat to see Sean Penn play him. Many humorous moments. Not crystal clear story-telling, but that's okay and gives the viewer more to contemplate.
September 24, 2012
David Byrne soundtrack, too!
January 4, 2014
Another beautiful and unique movie from Paolo Sorrentino.
December 9, 2013
I had (probably overly) high expectations of the movie given that Sean Penn was the lead. My partner and I found his deliquescent voice supremely irritating (if not impossible to understand) 5 minutes into the movie. His portrayal of a retired ex-goth star utterly fails to convince as it falls immediately into a non-researched caricature that has very little to do with actual goths (admittedly with the exception of the Robert Smith's wig). We gave up after about 50 minutes. All in all, not worth bothering with.
November 13, 2012
Sean Penn in drag is good.
½ April 20, 2012
After seeing it for the second time, I put it between my cult film
½ November 23, 2012
A very unique film that's not quite a drama and not quite a comedy and tells the story about an aging goth rocker, played by Sean Penn, who looks very much like Robert Smith. Penn's character, Cheyenne, was an 80s goth rocker who still looks and dresses the same despite having not performed or made any music since the 80s following the suicide of a fan, and upon hearing about the death of the his estranged father, he embarks on a road trip to finish his father's unfinished business of hunting down a Nazi in hiding. It's an oddball story to say the least, and Cheyenne is a character I can say I've never seen before, but Penn is commanding in a very quite and subdued performance that really held my interest. Frances McDormand is also great in a supporting role as Penn's very perky and very un-goth wife. Judd Hirsch is his usual great self as a friend of Cheyenne's father and David Byrne even makes an appearance as himself, serving as a counterpoint to Cheyenne's reclusiveness and showing how he's managed to remain a relevant artist 30 years later. This film is not for all tastes and if probably more for the art house type of crowd, but I found it quite sweet, despite a rather leisurely pace. And I loved the ending!
October 23, 2013
The character that Penn plays is interesting but I honestly have no idea what the story was about.
½ October 9, 2013
It's so nice to watch a weird little movie (like Breakfast on Pluto or Big Fish) where in the first 10 minutes you wonder "where is this going?" and then enjoy a different, moving, brilliantly acted little film. The music, the dialogue and the spontaneity of it all made this work. At least for me.

Was this a labor of love? Definitely. Will everybody like it? Doubtfully. But those who do enjoy it will see deeper into it. And that's where the enjoyment lays.
July 8, 2013
It's frustrating and puzzling, but put the pieces of this subtle and quirky drama together and you find an emotionally pleasing movie with a devoted performance from Sean Penn.
February 2, 2012
I love Sean Penn in this! The plot is a bit bonkers and it does lose it's way from time to time but Penn gives such an outstanding performance that you quickly forget about the bad bits and just appreciate this fine, quirky, endearing character!