This World, Then the Fireworks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

This World, Then the Fireworks Reviews

terris85017
July 17, 2010
(1997 Director: Michael Oblowitz) I enjoyed this movie, though admittedly it was a little difficult to watch two incredibly gorgeous twins (one female, one male) living off their looks in less than moral ways. Oddly enough gorgeous Billy Zane's character met misfortune from his legitimate undercover career, causing him to return home.

Rue McClanahan was a bright spot as their mother. In reviewing Ms McClanahan's filmography, I was surprised to learn that I have seen few of her movies. Anyone remember her character in a personal favorite, Starship Troopers??
April 1, 2011
amazingly intense acting , sadism and violence I enjoyed it... never knew what to expect.
½ February 26, 2005
This is a great film, and should be more widely available. Why, oh why isn't it out in DVD? The writer of the original story is Jim Thompson. The film is one of the blackest of dark comedies, and so, unfortunately, is under appreciated mainstream viewers and even critics. If you could see the humor in "The Grifters" or if you like your humor darker than "To Die For," you must get "This World, Then the Fireworks" in video ASAP. The leading role is made for Billy Zane, and features the finest performance I've ever seen from him. Don't miss this unforgettable scene: someone wonders why he (Billy Zane) would marry a deformed woman when he can have a beautiful one, and he becomes absolutely enraged. Also wonderful are Gina Gershon as the sister, and Rue McClanahan as mother of the wicked siblings.

:fresh: