Thomas Kinkade's Christmas Cottage - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thomas Kinkade's Christmas Cottage Reviews

½ March 6, 2010
A cheap Christmas melodrama that is rarely genuinely touching, it has nice performances but very little else worth noticing apart from the fact that Jared Padalecki is a strikingly handsome young actor, and that's it.
bbcfloridabound
½ December 6, 2010
.Film 17 is The Movie Christmas Cottage, which is based on the true story of the artist Thomas Kinkade. Coming home for Christmas Thomas and his Brother find that their Mom is about to lose her home, so they get Jobs in the community. The best acting is done by Peter O'Toole who plays an ageing and dieing artist . His acting is over the top. This is a tear jerker I warn you, cuddle up with your honey and enjoy this one. Has some comical lines and parts. Its worth 4 1/2 stars.
½ October 7, 2013
Overly sentimental and over-acted yet surprisingly enjoyable Thomas Kinkade's Christmas Cottage will never be esteemed alongside most holiday classics but does enough to give a chance during the holidays.
½ October 11, 2011
This would melt many people's hearts and make them weep and be happy to be alive ... and while there is nothing wrong with any of those feelings or sentiments, it bothers me when a movie is THIS heavy-handed with the schmaltz. If this were a plate of pancakes, the plate AND the table would be overflowing with sticky, sweet syrup. And syrup is good -- it is yummy and sweet; but there can be too much of it. The film is sweet and sentimental and life-affirming like a wholesome Thomas Kinkade paiting of an adorable cottage. It is one that you fear criticizing as some will object and call you heartless ... not understanding that my critique of the film is not the warm and fuzzy story (which is "nice" to come across) but the over-abundance of the warm and fuzzy that could be constricting and suffocating. It it when someone tries TOO hard and tries to say ALL of the right things ... the film is too manufactured to be an ideal perfection. I appreciated the "never-give-up your dreams of being an artist" element of the story -- VERY much so; it is just that there are too many servings of syrup onhand for this film enthusiast to enjoy. Many would/will LOVE this film and I am happy that movies are made that re-affirm the wonderful-ness of life and dreams ... but I don't want to see something try THIS hard to make one feel oh-so-happy as it felt contrived and therefore not realistic.
terris85017
½ December 7, 2010
(2008 Director: Michael Campus) Heartwarming story of college students returnng home for the holidays. They come to the aide of their mother, thankfully being tipped off by their neighbor. Another neighbor, Glen Weissler, an aging talented artist (Peter O'Toole), is an inspiration of another kind to budding art student Thomas Kincaide (Jared Padalecki).
½ December 6, 2010
So if this had other actors it would have been horrible. But because of Jared Padalecki it wasn't all that bad. Pretty sappy Christmas movie but it was actually ok.
January 5, 2010
O'Toole was fantastic, the other actors did fine work and the script did have something to say about art and, yes, Christmas.
August 26, 2010
:rotten: :rotten: (out of four)

[color=cyan]More an advertisement for Tom Kinkade and his feel-good art work than a real flesh and blood look at his early life. I get the feeling it is more about how Mr. Kinkade would want people to view his youth.[/color]
[color=#00ffff][/color]
[color=#00ffff]In fact Kinkade has cast the handsome, model-looking actor Jared Padalecki as him. Jared is a decent actor, but it's hard to imagine that Kinkade ever looked like this tall, strapping, good-looking kid. I get the feeling this film is all about romanticizing himself.[/color]
[color=#00ffff][/color]
[color=#00ffff]That said, it goes down fairly easy and luckily isn't quite as sappy as expected. Marcia Gay Harden is lovely, as usual, and though he overacts a bit, Peter O'Toole is still an undeniable screen presence.[/color]
August 26, 2010
I am not into sappy Christmas movies, therefore not into this. Not much of a budget, and it looks it. The dialogue is poor, the acting is okay. Forgettable.
January 2, 2010
This was a really cute film, but you have to enjoy slow quiet movies to enjoy this one. Very touching, but only if you can manage to pay attention the whole way through.
October 6, 2009
My oldest daughter told me this is an "awesome movie", & we rarely agree on movies, so I have to see this one. I do enjoy Thomas Kinkaide's artwork.
July 24, 2009
This was a beautifully brilliant, heartwarming movie. The cast could not have been better: Jared Padalecki did an amazing job as Thomas Kinkade and I was astounded by Peter O'Toole's performance. I laughed and I cried. On a more humerous note, I think Jared did a great job pulling off being left-handed; I have to give him credit.This is one of my favorites by far. Everyone should see it.
December 7, 2008
This movie inspired me. It was very touching and moving, I did not know much about Thomas Kinkade but this movie really opened my eyes! his work is beautiful and amazing and seeing this film really has made me look at him differently.
December 7, 2008
I never really knew anything about Thomas Kinkade until this film, sure I probably heard his name and seen some of his art work but sadly did not pay much attention. This film really makes me want to see more of his work. It is a beautiful and inspiring film about a man who has done just that through is art and life.
November 27, 2015
The movie feels like an old black and white movie due to the slow pacing and the nature of the dialogue, which is perfect for the atmosphere of the movie. This movie is incredibly tragic and depressing, but heartbreakingly realistic. It's so grim that it's hard to watch at times on account of the overwhelming gloom. Yet the saddest scenes are the most poignant ones. If you've seen Jared Padalecki as Sam in Supernatural or as Dean in Gilmore Girls, you know that he is a master at portraying youthful innocence in a grounded, relatable way. Sam and Dean were never quite as optimistic and idealistic as Thomas Kinkade is in this movie, so it's a marvel to see Jared add such depth and uniqueness to Thomas without making him anything remotely like Sam or Dean.
½ March 6, 2010
November 21, 2014
This was a very sweet holiday movie.
December 28, 2013
Nice premise. Ok story... Good christmasy feeling. Glad I found it in a bargain bin.
½ October 7, 2013
December 24, 2010
A superb insight into Mr Kinkade's early life and inspiration wrapped up in a wonderful Christmas story. Peter O'Toole is masterful.