Thor - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thor Reviews

½ May 8, 2011
Easily one of the best looking Marvel movies so far. I was never a big Thor fan in the comics but this movie had me locked in. Overall i think this movie shines thanks to Hemsworh, Hiddleston the supportin cast. It takes its place among the top super hero films Marvel has done now that they are in control.
May 9, 2011
So we have the next big Marvel hero adaptation on the long highway to 'The Avengers' with 'Iron Man' so far being a surprise decent film, this time its Thor's turn to roll the dice. Again I am pleasantly surprised at how reasonably competent this film is, I thought this would be a hideous mess but actually its not too bad. I'm not gonna get carried away and say its a brilliant film as it isn't, in my opinion 'Iron Man' is better but this is OK despite the silly material. Branagh has done well in his attempt and done half the work in the casting, all players add good realism and gravitas to the cheesy plot allowing the film to just about get by. Hopkins, Hemsworth and Hiddleston are the best contributors of course and were great choices for the roles, they looked right and didn't come across camp in any way.

The effects are decent and not too obvious, a very colourful and vivid film and some good stand out moments like the Rancor type creature on Jotunheim showcasing decent CGI. The Frost Giants looked reasonable but slightly childish for me whilst the giant metallic Destroyer looked rather B-movie-ish and tacky to be honest, a bit like Gort from 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' (1951). Asgard was impressive and colourful looking neat n sharp harking back to cityscape's of the new Star Wars trilogy and just as good.

I'm not up on the whole Thor comicbook plot to be honest but I admit I still found faults with things in the film, obviously Thor and his homeworld are aliens, an alien race (which are exactly the same as humans? hmm) but also somehow manage to have horses ale roast beef pork etc...in their realm too? kinda silly methinks, oh and everyone speaks English it seems.

There is nice humour throughout which is good, Thor getting accustomed to earth has good moments, but The Warriors Three felt way too farcical and lame frankly, they just came across as inept posh talking sidekicks much like C3PO from 'Star Wars', they also looked like characters from a kids cartoon which let down the rest of the quite good costumes.

You never find out about the other realms, there is no real reason for why Odin goes into a coma or sleep and the Frost Giants did seem kinda lame, uninspired and unoriginal (if they were made for the film?) with a silly name. Of course if you know the comicbook all this might be common knowledge but for myself it isn't.

Overall I liked this but lets face it it was pretty hokey really, a modern day Flash Gordon if we're being honest here, it wasn't camp but it was very very gentle and cartoony which I did suspect as Thor is a hard character to put on film I think. Its a valiant attempt but I just think it could of been better or a bit more serious and less like an action figure promotion.
The Gandiman
½ October 16, 2011
Superhero movies are aplenty and mythology films are well-known, "Thor" a combination of both genres directed by respected actor/director Kenneth Branagh walks that fine line well but not greatly.

Thor is one of Marvel's most revered creations - a fallen God who is banished from his kingdom of Asgard to Earth by his father Odin due to his arrogance - and "Thor" the film does a valiant job in ensuring that they do not make any major mistakes. The problem with "Thor" lies in its scale: while the battles taking place in Thor's home realm are grand and epic, on Earth he eventually has to save a small town in ... New Mexico.

Thor is inspired by Norse mythology, known as the God of Thunder, his signature being a powerful Hammer of which he is stripped of until he learns humility (very Excalibur-like down to the Hammer being stuck in a stone) - scale and grandness is implied just with his backstory, so the film is a bit of a snooze the moment he lands on Earth.

It doesn't help that the Earthlings are pretty bland, Natalie Portman, Stellan Skarsgård and Kat Dennings can't do much with the generic material they are given and the whole Government-conspiracy storyline is a bit tired. The film also has to squeeze "Avenger" references into its story with presence of S.H.I.E.L.D. and a glimpse of Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) - so while the film works hard, it doesn't move much.

As for Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston who play central characters Thor and Loki respectively. Let's say that while Hemsworth has got the look and plays blustering blowhard really well, his line delivery and blank eyes are flat. Hiddleston, on the other hand, plays tormented Loki brilliantly. It's no surprise he'll get to reprise his performance as the central villain in "Avengers". Hiddleston doesn't take Loki over the top instead really showing the pain and torment behind his eyes.

While "Thor" doesn't soar, it does have moments in which it scores - making it a solid but forgettable entry into the comic book pantheon.
September 30, 2011
I was very hesitant to watch this film. I held off on watching it until two days before the release of the sequel, but i'm glad I finally watched it. It is a great movie with an awesome story, but those looking for boatloads of action, you won't find too much in this movie. That is the only thing I didn't like about this film....could've used some more action! None the less, it was an awesome lead up for The Avengers and for The Dark World.
cosmo313
½ June 29, 2010
This, the 4th entry into the Marvel Films canon takes on the mythological figure reconfigured into a superhero known as Thor- the Norse God of Thunder.

I've never been big into Thor, but I've got no problems with him either, and the mixing of mythology with comic book fun is fine by me. At first I was skeptical of Kenneth Branagh directing a big budget comic book film, especially given his resume, but when I heard he was doing Thor, I got a little less skeptical, given how the Thor source material seems not far off from Branagh's sensibilities and roots in Shakespeare. That, and it helps that Branagh admitted to having an interest in the source material at some point in his life prior to making the movie.

The film basically is a two fold story (with both parts intertwined) involving both a move for political power and control in the ethereal realm of Asgard, and the fish out of water story on Earth which sees Thor banished there and forced to seek redemption after insubordination. Not only does Thor have to regain his stripped power and learn a lesson, he's got to find a way to restore the upset balance back in his home world.

I liked the film's mix of the two things, despite that the storylines in and of themselves aren't entirely free of cliche, contrivance, or unexplained details (What exactly is going on with the Odin coma thing?). Iffiness of the script and story aside, this is a fine addition to the growing Marvel Canon, and just a fun little adventure film in its own right.

I liked that the characters were flawed and had depth to them and obstacles to deal with. I loved the art direction, costumes, and set design, especially where Asgard and Jotunheim are concerned. The special effects were pretty decent as well, and there's all kinds of great stuff to stare at and admire. The action scenes are decent, though sometimes (especially the early battle with the Frost Giants) things are a bit too dark and murky, making it hard to tell what is going on at times.

That aside, this is a good film, and things move along quite nicely. Chris Hemsworth is a perfect choice for Thor, and he brings the right amount of charisma, doubt, and confusion, and the fish out of water stuff is a joy to watch due to how well he sells it. Natalie Portman is decent as scientific researcher Jane Foster who falls in love with Thor while trying to help him and understand his situation. Stellan Skarsgard is good as Jane's colleague Dr. Erik Selvig, but it is Kat Dennings who really shines as Jane's assistant Darcy, who is wonderful in a very fun Scooby-Doo sidekick type of role. Most of the comic relief (and there's a fair amount) comes from her, and that's not a problem at all. Anthony Hopkins is epic as Odin, and Tom Hiddleston is decent as the deceitful and jealous Loki, though Renee Russo, Ray Stevenson, and Idris Elba all could have been given more to do. To make up for it though are some decent cameos, though the post credits scene, while okay, isn't near as epic as it could have been.

Overall, this is an enjoyable and decent movie, though not quite as good (I think) as Iron Man or The Incredible Hulk. Still though, it's a blast to watch, even if it falls a little short of being terrific.
August 27, 2010
THOR is entertaining as all hell, and Chris Hemsworth really brings a likeable personality to his character. This film has the perfect run time needed and the visuals were stunning, and although the action was awesome, is was a bit unbalanced. There is an opening action scene that is far too big to just be an introduction to the mighty character, because after that sequence, all you want is more of that, which you never get, but small sprinkles of action throughout the film. That being said, the summer movie season is off to a fantastic start. THOR has been banished to earth, and I couldn't imagine a better time the movies than watching someone learn what everything is while I also watch a superhero find his powers. In short, I highly recommend this summer popcorn flick to all superhero fans. I went it clueless about the THOR character, but I came out with my mind in Asguard! This thunderous movie is a great kick-off for the summer movie season. Although the action lags a bit, and Kat Dennings is annoying as hell, the story is fantastic, the visuals are amazing, the characters are likeable, it's funny, and it is a must see. THOR DELIVERS
½ December 18, 2010
As much as I love Norse mythology, I have to say that this one was disappointing. It benefits from the performances of it's cast, and the sheer awesomeness of the myths of Asgard and the Nine Realms. But I find it too predictable and too shallow for my liking.
April 25, 2011
Natalie Portman plays an astrophysicist in a very polished, visually impressive 3D IMAX movie with comic strip humour and great acting all round. Very enjoyable.
Nikhil N.
October 30, 2011
Fast paced, entertaining, and at times quite hilarious. This movie tends to be cheesy and in the end to rushed to develop any of the genuine emotion that the movie tries to portray. Thor might be the weakest of the characters joining the avengers. Not sure how the theology and godly aspects of Thor are going to mesh with the scientific backgrounds of the much more dynamic Iron Man, Captain America, and even The Hulk.
garyX
April 24, 2011
The son of Odin is banished to Earth after provoking war with a neighbouring realm and finds he must prove himself worthy in order to return to Asgard to prevent his brother from usurping their father and claiming the crown for himself. The Iron Man franchise, together with Avengers Assemble have proven that Marvel comics can provide a platform for some highly entertaining cinema that can appeal to a wide age range. Thor unfortunately is a throwback to the days of the preposterous man-in-tights-grows-as-a-person morality tale. Thor himself is a bit like a rubbish Superman who talks in cod Shakespearian prose like a refugee from 300, with his half-arsed band of merry men in tow to provide some sub-Lord Of The Rings CGI infested action. The scenes in Asgard are painfully pompous and dull, with Antony Hopkins on autopilot standing in as the standard superhero movie rent-a-thesp and the entire cast (with the possible exception of Stellan Skarsgard) are pretty awful, but the clunky, immature dialogue they have to work with absolves them of much of the blame. I can't help the feeling that Branagh tackled this project under some duress because the whole film feels like a half-hearted TV movie. Not one of Marvel Studios better moments by a long chalk.
CloudStrife84
½ July 30, 2010
Thunderously good! After so many countless disappointments in the superhero genre, I'm glad there's one whose hammer can be held high and proudly. Electrifying action scenes, nice sense of humor and special effects worthy of a god. These are the pillars that bear the weight of this film and keep it from ever straying into lesser realms. So allow yourself the same pleasure and give this mythological spectacle a watch. For I dare to pledge truthfully that good times await.
LWOODS04
June 22, 2010
"Thor was a good action/superhero flick. I didn't know to much about the film or the cast, so I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The cast was great and Chris Hemsworth was quite good as "Thor". The action and story was solid, the only thing that seemed off was the romance between Thor and Jane Foster. It seemed very much rushed. I guess if there was more of them shown together on Earth it wouldn't have seemed that way. But other then that, I found it very entertaining and loved the bits of humor in the film."
August 14, 2012
Sheer spectacular fantasy and storytelling brought the story of Thor to life. Chris Hemsworth gives a magical performance along with the devious charms of Tom Hiddleston. It's magical-scientific ties mixes together a makes the film a solid blockbuster to kick off the summer. 4/5
½ August 6, 2012
I was surprised by Thor. I was expecting an over the top movie that I wouldn't understand. What I got was a movie with great acting, a great plot and was the final staple that made me believe that it was possible for there to be a superhero movie about any superhero.
March 3, 2012
I was actually expecting this to be my least favorite of the Avengers movies because of the whole mythology idea playing into it, but it ended up being one of my favorite Marvel movies. Chris Hemsworth plays Thor, a powerful, but cocky warrior in this movie and he plays his part really well. He's angry, arrogant, sad and even funny when he needs to be and Hemsworth did a great job as Thor. The rest of the cast is great too. Anothony Hopkins was the perfect choice for Odin in my opinion, Natalie Portman plays a likable girl named Jane Foster, Idris Elba was surprisingly creepy in his role and Tom Hiddleston plays my personal favorite Marvel villain, Loki. Loki is first shown to be in Thor's shadow since Thor is chosen to be king over him, but when he's told a terrible truth, he goes insane and becomes this malevolent force with this scheme to destroy Earth and become king of Asgard. Part of the plot is that Thor has to stop loki's reign of terror and I liked how it played out. They're brothers and Thor is hesitant about having to stop him, but he has to for the safety of Asgard. It also played off surprisingly emotional. The movie has the whole family theme playing into it, but it isn't in a cheesy or cliche way. I also really liked seeing Thor adapt on Earth. He starts off as this violent, angry guy who doesn't seem to care about anything except for getting his hammer, but he develops into actually caring for the people around him and it felt really natural. Hemsworth and Portman look really good together as well. The relationship wasn't forced and I liked that they had good chemistry together. There are also parts where I actually felt bad for Thor. When he's trying to get his hammer but it won't so much as budge because Odin took away his powers, I actually felt for Thor. Thor is not only a great superhero movie, but a great movie all around. It has great acting, exciting action scenes, emotional overtones, some well written dialogue, perfect cinematography and it's just an awesome movie.
June 10, 2012
While it is an entertaining movie, it does suffer from some silly dialog, a forced love story, and poorly explained mythology.
July 17, 2010
Typified superhero films are the bread and butter for Marvel, a studio that has been cranking out films to start off their mega hit blockbuster The Avengers. Where other films came off as stilted and too effects heavy, Thor succeeds at holding interest with a slew of elements far and above the usual. True, the comic book was deviated from time and again, and Thor really didn't manage to be a hero for the human race compared to his planet of Asgard, but there was a formula in place that really worked. It was genuine in its interpretation of Thor as both a savage warrior and a thoughtful leader. Though Thor's tribulations on Earth don't seem to show any true character development or change, ultimately it's about the warring emotions about his brother and father, and though not shown through any grand gestures there was a slow paced change in place. Director Kenneth Branagh, a classically trained actor most famous for his turns in Shakespearean roles, is said to have drawn inspiration from Henry V to give meaning behind the effects heavy script. In that regard lies the best aspect of this film, which is the role and performance of Tom Hiddleston as Thor's brother, Loki. The reason this works so well as a superhero film is because of the grandiose performances from all involved and the creative use of the plot to show the inner turmoil of Thor. Nothing is so fatal as his tie to his brother, who is deceitful and cruel, while also simply being conflicted over his paternity and his place in his family. Besides the great performances from the legion of actors in this, I also approve of the use of effects. Using Green Lantern as a ready example, some films don't do as well when their characters, backgrounds, and explosions are all done on a computer. Though many parts of this film are dorky, (eccentric at best), there lies an already unbelievable attribute to it, and in that it becomes believable. I loved the design of Asgard, the wasteland quality of New Mexico, and even the Frost Giants who were just evil and snide enough to be a sincere threat. I ultimately didn't like the lack of change in Thor which was supposed to drive the plot, but it was a decent superhero film, and a film about the trials of a young man conflicted by a power struggle and his own selfish ways. An accurate portrayal of a fish out of water character with out of this world aspirations.
May 26, 2012
And to think, I never used to much care for superheroes. The only thing I can think of that I didn't like about this film was how they made Asgaard another planet (I think), rather than an alternate terrestrial plane or something. I really love the elements that drive this story: the classic imperialistic bloodlust that typifies all famous mythological warriors is what leads the characters to create problems for themselves, and Thor can really only grow and mature as a character once he gets past it. I was really impressed how they succeeded in making Thor seem really alien on Earth, which is really hard to do to handsome humanoid characters. My favorite element, among many gems, was definitely Loki. He is really far from a one-dimensional villain; he's got depth, motivation and a real heart, so much so that there were times I found myself rooting for him. You can tell you've got a good thing going when it seems like a shame for either side to prevail over the other in the end. If anyone understands how vital it is to have a strong villain it's Kenneth Branaugh, a man who's excelled in the past by playing Iago onscreen. Even the Forst Giants were interesting. What a wonderful film.
½ October 20, 2011
I only really watched this because I wanted to know the characters before watching The Avengers, and as soon as the brilliant space visuals came up on screen I wished I had seen this in the cinema (and then when Loki showed up I definitely kicked myself!). As an introduction film it did great. I really got a sense of who these characters were and there were some really great funny bits but overall I think it was slightly too long which was annoying. It boasts a brilliant cast which really paid off however when Jane and Thor kiss... That was awful. It was so obvious they really weren't into it and were doing a stage kiss and it ruined the moment.