—— The Identical Sep 05

Thor: The Dark World Reviews

Nikhil N.
Nikhil N.

April 15, 2014
It makes 0 sense. Logic has left the building. But, Thor: The Dark World is mindlessly entertaining. I had a ridiculous amount of fun. Also, Hiddleston's Loki steals every scene he is in. This was also probably the funniest Marvel movie I have ever seen.
Matt G

November 23, 2013
Generic
Christian C

April 6, 2014
Exciting and fun -- although the "aether" at the center of the plot is almost undecipherable, forced and improbable. Heck, the whole film is improbable -- but it's really nice to look at. Sadly, this is not one of Anthony Hopkins finest films -- that is, unless hamminess passes as Shakespearean in Asgard.
Cynthia S

November 9, 2013
Very enjoyable! As always, Marvel studios has done it again. They just keep getting better, and better. If you liked the Avengers, you will love this. Thor, and Loki, are just plain outstanding. A feast for the eyes, and for fantasy buffs. Humorous. Action packed. Just loads of fun!
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

September 11, 2012
I'm not officially agreed with the audience who rated this movie that high, IMHO 'Thor : The Dark World' is a great and entertaining movie with some humor.. But what I'm experienced not that amazing, because the action is too many so it looks like a full action movie not an amazing superhero movie.. Besides, the approach that Alan Taylor made was different than what Kenneth Branagh had before, little drama but nonstop action? Well don't blame me if I fall asleep in the middle of the movie.. Overall, it's still an enjoyable movie with another strong performance from Tom Hiddleston as Loki but too bad it looks like no more than just a full packed action movie..
Spencer S

March 17, 2014
There's a certain enjoyment I get out of the Thor films that isn't specific to the rest of the Marvel cineverse, and I think it's most likely due to the fact that these films don't take themselves very seriously. It's not trying to be another Nolan centric film, casting the protagonist in the darkness and grittiness of death and destruction. Its lead is often daft to logic, and says quite humorous things, while also being invincibly strong. The villains are always creepy but not overdone, so they retain their venomous vigor, and the world created is heavy CGI and yet looks quite real, in part due to the production crew using Norway as a backdrop in the principle photography. Even Natalie Portman's character, Jane, finally finds some use within the plot, other than romantic interest and scientist bystander. Of course Loki (Hiddleston) makes an appearance, which is great since he is the most complex, earnest, interesting villain to come around since Ledger's Joker. This is a really great sequel as well, and did a great job of including "The Avengers" plotline into the dialogue. Just a great effort and a very enjoyable superhero movie overall.
Al S

April 6, 2013
Thor: The Dark World is not better than the first, but a worthy second adventure for the bulky hero and his hammer and works better than the other two Iron Man sequels. It's a big, epic and hammer-smashing good time. A terrifically exciting and wonderfully entertaining action-packed adventure. It's loaded with hard-hitting action sequences, gorgeous special effects and terrific humor. It's sharp, funny and explosively enjoyable all the way to the end which delivers an exciting ending. A spectacular and outstanding mix of science, magic and imagination. Chris Hemsworth is excellent once again as the the hero, Thor. Tom Hiddleston is outstadning. Hiddleston and Hemsworth still have great chemistry together and totally make the movie in every scene they are in together. It's pure fun in a solidly entertaining adventure.
Josh L

September 27, 2012
A step down from the original Thor movie with a jumbled plot and lack of original ideas. The story really falls on its face if you give any thought to it and the main villain is incredibly generic. He has no point to him other than being an evil person for Thor to fight. The dynamic between Loki and Thor is the best part of these films and the first movie rode on that relationship well. Loki was a much better villain and when he is on screen the film is better for it. Tom Hiddleston steals all the scenes he is in. Chris Hemsworth is still a fun and likable Thor, but we need more at this point after The Avengers. These last few individual stories in the universe are hard to watch after seeing them all together. The special effects and designs in the film are fantastic and there's some nice action, but nothing that blows other films away. It's a fairly entertaining film, but I expected more.
Wildaly M

January 11, 2014
Nothing new here but I think it has its merits: good action and Thor's muscular bod.
Phil H

February 10, 2014
Solid title, lets hope it really is dark...yeah right. Its only been two years and we have another Thor adventure. The first film wasn't too bad considering the source material is a tough cookie to film, so I went into this sequel with a relatively positive outlook. So far Marvel has done us proud so why worry.

Oh dear, now I would mention the plot outline briefly, as normal, but put simply...I can't. The reason being I genuinely don't really understand what I just saw. I haven't been this confused in a film since I don't know. The bad guys in this film are called Dark Elves which sounds pretty sweet admittedly...and kinda 'Warhammer-ish'. They all look quite cool with their creepy gaunt expression-less masks on and their leader 'Malekith' also looks really good and evil...and kinda 'Hellboy 2-ish'. You could also say they all feel a tad like Stormtroopers especially with all the lasers being fired everywhere, was that laser fire? looked like it.

The Star Wars similarities became even worse when the elves started attacking Asgard in rather familiar looking spacecraft. Asgard itself also looking suspiciously like the capital city of Naboo, Theed. So even though these Dark Elves look quite cool they simply end up as masses of faceless hammer fodder for Thor and his buddies. There is also an uber Dark Elf monster thing that Malekith created with some of the Aether? again visually great with a nice body suit but why didn't Malekith just do this with all his elves or as many as possible?. Oh and one minute he's with Malekith after being changed/infected, and the next scene he's captured and in Asgard?! wut?!.

The script is a complete mess, the film jumps around just like the characters do in the final half of the film. What exactly do the Dark Elves want?? they just wanna errr...destroy the universe? shroud it in darkness?...why exactly?. At the start when Portman is sucked into another dimension or something I had no clue what was going on or why she was sucked in. Then there's this Aether stuff...what the hell is that suppose to be? is it a living being? what's its purpose? where does it come from? did anyone make it?. Damn unlucky how Portman's character got zapped straight to where this lethal universe destroying stuff was though huh, wow what are the odds!.

The action is generic and boring throughout, sorry but it is. The escape from Asgard is typically absurd as Thor manages to pilot a craft he's never stepped foot in before. OK that aspect is joked on by Loki but he still manages to pilot it skillfully evading lots of laser fire and treacherous tight spaces. None of the elves pose any threat to Thor or his mates whatsoever, including a big stone creature. This could quite easily be a lightweight 'Lord of the Rings' spin off frankly, replace elves with orcs, they're both useless against good guys. Most of the fights are pointless as Thor's mates are all invincible yet at the same time Asgardian soldiers seem to be just as useless as the bad guys.

You can tell things weren't going as well as hoped because they have stuck 'Loki' back into the fray to try and boost the film. Easily the best character for sure but Jesus Christ you can't rely on this guy every time, I'm amazed the characters are still dumb enough to even trust him sheesh!. They actually closed the book with Loki really well in this film but nooooo....couldn't leave it at that, had to have that last twist to spoil it. Continuity wise the film is great no doubt, everyone is back and the story follows on well from the first film. I hope this is the last we see of Portman though as I simply cannot stand her, she has a small range of facial expressions and she uses them over and over. Plus she looked really bored here. Bad guy Eccleston (Hollywood loves a Brit bad guy don't they) had nothing to do and very little to say, great makeup but wasted badly.

Sure the film looks delicious with lovely CGI but did you expect it not to?. Well I say that but everything falls apart in the London finale, yep the end of the world happens in...Greenwich. The last long long action sequence is the biggest flapping muddle ever, there are characters jumping and falling through portals like no ones business. Weapons and debris flying all over the place and popping up here there and everywhere, the elves look like tacky extras from Doctor Who as they run around the London streets, its all ridiculous.

The entire plot is utterly preposterous, it makes no sense half the time and the other half is virtually unexplained. It all hinges on this Aether stuff and the alignment of the nine worlds...annnnd as I type this I'm boring myself. This whole film just feels like filler until the next Avengers outing, nothing more. The action is tepid and bland, half the characters didn't even need to be here as they have little screen time, the Earth based human characters were annoying, the plot is something else and the end of credits scene with Del Toro looked absolutely awful!!. Sorely disappointed with this generic effort.
Edward B

November 9, 2013
Thor: The Dark World is easily the best Phase One/Phase Two film since the original Iron Man (not including The Avengers of course). While the story isn't as thematically complex as some of the other superhero films in this universe, it manages to reignite the awe and imagination that recent superhero outings like Man of Steel and The Wolverine were lacking. The best thing is the humour. There are many seriously dark points, but the film always manages to wink at itself. Every character gets a sufficient amount of screen time, particularly Kat Dennings who plays one of the most charming comic relief characters in recent memory. Among an incredible cast of great actors stands Tom Hiddleston, who plays everyone's favourite villain Loki. Hiddleston steps up his game and almost steals every scene he is in.
Director Alan Taylor, known for directing multiple HBO episodes for Game of Thrones, The Sopranos, and Boardwalk Empire, stages exciting fight scenes and lavishly detailed worlds. Since most of the action takes place off Earth, the fantasy elements run high as does the filmmaker's confidence helming such a creatively detailed production.
Along with some great cameo appearances, an incredible post credit sequence, and undeniably clever writing, Thor: The Dark World raises the stakes and sets the bar high for the remaining Phase Two films, proving that Marvel still knows how to entertain its audience.
Anthony L

December 5, 2013
Thor: The Dark World improves on the original vastly, as it needed to do. I still don't like Natalie Portman's character much but I can live with it. Apart from there not being enough Jaimie 'Should have been cast as Wonder Woman' Alexander screen time, it was pretty much spot on. The character has really captured the essence of the comic and has improved on it. The final showdown was intelligent and breathtaking, not since the grand finale of Superman 2 have I been more thrilled at the end of a Superhero film. Marvel really are on a roll, I'm a DC man myself and I'm hoping my team will sort themselves out and give them a run for their money (but out of passion rather than financial one-upmanship. Loved that Cameo!
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

February 23, 2013
The Dark World.

Excellent Marvel Movie!!! Thor The Dark World is brilliant and completely tops the first film. There are a lot of extremely funny bits in it as well as some dark and moving moments. Probably a much funnier movie than it had any right to be given the subject matter. Loki is done perfectly and the dialogue between him and Thor is superb. The performances are top tier and the visual effects may be the best I've seen this year. The music was an epic score. It really defined the story. I have to join the majority of people and even critics that are praising this film. It's a true joy and such a pleasant experience. Go see it!

Thousands of years ago, a race of beings known as Dark Elves tried to send the universe into darkness by using a weapon known as the Aether. But warriors from Asgard stop them but their leader Malekith escapes to wait for another opportunity. The warriors find the Aether and since it can't be destroyed, they try to hide it. In the present day, Jane Foster awaits the return of Thor but it's been two years. He's trying to bring peace to the nine realms. Jane discovers an anomaly similar to the one that brought Thor to Earth. She goes to investigate and finds a wormhole and is sucked into it. Thor wishes to return to Earth but his father, Odin refuses to let him. Thor learns from Heimdall, the one who can see into all of the realms that Jane disappeared. Thor then returns to Earth just as Jane returns. But when some policemen try to arrest her, some kind of energy repulses them. Thor then brings her to Asgard to find out what happened to her. When it happens again, they discovered that while Jane disappeared, she crossed paths with the Aether and it entered her. Malekith upon sensing that the time to strike is now seeks out the Aether. So he attacks Asgard and Thor's mother is killed protecting Jane. Odin wants to keep Jane on Asgard so Malekith will come. But Thor disagrees with his plan so with his cohorts, he decides to take Jane away. And he enlists the aid of his brother, Loki. Problem is can Thor trust Loki.
Kase V

November 10, 2013
As a stand alone film, this superhero sequel is really a bore. It only succeeds because of the Marvel Avengers mysticism that surrounds it and it's contribution to the Marvel universe. Down the road in several years though, no one but die hard fans will bother with 'Thor: The Dark World'. The most redeeming factor of the film is Tom Hiddleston, who essentially saves the film from complete unoriginality as Loki. Other than his performance and the end credits scene, you can't find too much to acknowledge in this superhero outing.
Michael S

November 6, 2013
"Thor," both exciting and original, still stands as one of the strongest Marvel movies in my opinion, and "The Dark World" is a fine follow up. Though it's not quite on the same level as it's predecessor, it almost as entertaining.

Many of the strengths of Kenneth Branagh's outing remain, most notably the cast which is once again extremely likable. Hemsworth still shines in his trademark role. Third time out, the character still seems fresh because of Hemsworth's pitch-perfect portrayal. Also in fine form is Hiddleston as Loki, who's presence is essential. Directed by Alan Taylor, this is a fine piece of visual filmmaking, with great effects and a unique aesthetic. It never feels as inventive or as confident as the 2011 kick start, but it's more than serviceable. With how fast Disney spits these pictures upon us, that's pretty high praise, It's also filled with clever comic relief that works.

Other than the Shakspearean grandiosity of Branagh's film, "Thor: The Dark World" suffers from it's post "Avengers" narrative and one of the weakest villains in the entire Marvel screen legacy. Christopher Eccleston is such a great and memorable actor (and as seen in Danny Boyle's Shallow Grave and particularly 28 Days Later quite menacing when need be). Under ridiculous and pretty generic makeup, that's all but lost. His motivations are paint by numbers, and isn't on screen nearly enough for us to understand or care or even hate him. He's just there really, and between him and the other main antagonist (the devastating and equally uninteresting "magic aether"), the film is quite drab at the get-go. Also, and most odd... is the overall threat in the film, which is beyond extinction level. Nine, and I'll repeat, NINE realms are at risk in this movie... yet only Thor is on call apparently. Where's The Avengers; or more specifically where are Downey, Ruffalo, and Whedon? "Iron Man 3" avoided this problem in a brilliant way, further developing it's character on a much smaller, more intimate scale. Thor doesn't. The film has ambitions beyond the first Avengers, but is scaled back so Hemsworth, Portman, and Kat Dennings among others can save the day. A strange suspension of disbelief is definitely required.

It's ultimately worth it. Problems aside, this is still a whole lot entertaining. It's funny, it's fast moving, and once Tom Hiddleston's Loki gets in on the action, it's quite awesome as well. As good as the rest of the cast is, this film IS Hiddleston, and "The Dark World" is much better because of him.

"Thor: The Dark World" asks a lot. It asks it's audience to adjust their post-Avengers logic accordingly, to endure a dense setup, and to not role their eyes to violently at a sub-par villain. If you can do these things and are already invested in the franchise; have at it. It's yet another high-end superhero movie.
Carlos M

November 19, 2013
Notably superior to the first movie and a decent follow-up to The Avengers, this entertaining film has a consistent plot, plenty of humor, an always charismatic Chris Hemsworth and also Tom Hiddleston stealing every scene he appears in as the deceitful god Loki.
Eric A

November 20, 2013
Lower rating than the first? I thoroughly enjoyed the first, but in my opinion....this film beat it in every aspect. In the love, action, CGI, any department......it was better. Seeing it in IMAX was also a plus, but either way it would rocked even in regular 2D. In my review for the first Thor, I wrote about not caring too much for the Thor franchise before actually viewing the movies, boy do I regret that decision. For me, it easily rivals, if not beats, the Ironman franchise. At the moment, I don't know if a third installment is in the works, but I sure hope they have another film in mind!
Apeneck F

May 28, 2012
I can't say that I've been a fan of this whole Marvel filmic uprising of late. i grew up a fan of the comics and have only been disappointed at every film that's come down the pike for not getting it right: it's not like it was, not like it was in the comics (and how could a damn movie not be as good or better than a damn comic - it was beyond my understanding) ... until now.
Faith and begorra, finally.
Worth every penny, a comic book movie that reads like a comic. And then worth a second viewing.
Julie B