Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines Reviews

½ March 26, 2015
Bloated inferior version of The Great Race which could have done with some muscular editing. Redeeming feature is Terry Thomas's performance otherwise nothing special. Drat and double drat!
March 18, 2014
Likeable film that was a good way to spend an afternoon, recovering from a bout of the flu.

The character types were part of the fun. This film had the dashing English hero, and a villain, who looked to be the inspiration for the cartoon character, Dick Dastardly.
January 28, 2008
Loved it as a kid... love it as an adult
½ April 20, 2013
Great fun under many aspects.
½ February 18, 2013
This film has the same wacky mayhem feel of It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World but it instead revolves around an international competition to fly across the English Channel. Perhaps there is not that much substance but there are some hilarious moments
February 6, 2013
Top gun of slapstick early-aviation comedies.
December 11, 2011
I loved this movie, it was a very funny movie and I want it on DVD, great funny film, I loved it, it starred Terry Thomas, Eric Sykes and Jean-Pierre Cassel. it's a great funny film I loved it
½ October 14, 2012
This is too slow and talky for most modern audiences, but it's certainly got its moments. I loved the intro on earliest-flight, the production skill in resurrecting the oldest functional planes (and cars), some of the stuntwork, most of the cast, the stunning English countryside location work, and the book end cartoons.

The central love triangle is a dud, partly because those three cast members aren't too charismatic. In fact, I rate this film nowhere near as highly as "The Great Race" - partly because the leads can't compare to Curtis/Lemmon/Falk/Wood/Wynn, partly because of the slower pace, and partly because The Great Race is SO much sillier than TMMITFM.

Yet it's still a fun artifact and an impressive production parodying a fascinating age. Highlights include Terry Thomas's moustache twirling, Benny Hill, and Gert Frobe doing un-Goldfinger like comedy. The best thing about this film is that it was the inspiration for Wacky Races.
October 11, 2012
Hysterically funny moments. The love story is garbage but that's life. Amazing theme song. This movie is the superior version of The Great Race.
September 1, 2012
I find it still funny even after all of the time since it came out.
July 26, 2012
This was one of my favourite films as a kid! Looking back, it's very silly, and seems a bit outdated, but it's still a lot of fun.
½ July 18, 2012
This film is great fun. Set in 1910, it depicts a flying race between the best aviators in the world, and as such is choc-a-bloc full of national stereotypes, and general silliness. It's a great film for all the family which I've thoroughly enjoyed each time I've sat down to watch it.
½ March 30, 2012
Classic British comedy with all the charm and warmth you'd expect from some fantastic actors of the time.
½ January 11, 2012
Not so much a "comedy" as an "amusement", since it rarely achieves "funny". It's an amiable film, though, and shows off some great recreations of early aeroplanes.
November 13, 2011
This is one of my all-time favorites. The comedy ranges from nice to farce. The cinematography is great. Best of all, they built - and flew for the movie - planes of that era making some of the most beautiful flying video, ever. I bought it as soon as it came out on DVD and I re-watch it from time to time. If you've ever liked or aspired to fly, I'd bet you would like this movie.
½ August 22, 2007
Another 60's comedy that I had seen years ago and re-watched (on tv) recently. I'm not sure if anyone on the production of this movie worked for Disney's live action division or if it is the general popularity of these big comedies during this decade, but this reminds me of numerous wholesome family comedy adventures. This movie is slightly more subversive though. There is a huge cast with many recognizable faces and several soon to be famous names. The credits are done with that kooky 60's animation. The bookmarks of the picture with Red Skelton, archival footage of attempted flights, and recreated clips of attempted flights are silly, but also curiously of historical value. Once we get into the central adventure of the air race I couldn't help but chuckle at the mostly slapstick misadventure. Sarah Miles as the feisty young English woman challenging a woman's role in mechanics and flight was impressive. The movie keeps track of such a large cast of international characters and yet moves along at a brisk pace. It is corny how the American and British are the ultimately winners. They fight over the girl besides, as expected. The American flyer Orvil (Whitman), who is of course portrayed as a cowboy, is a risk taking hero, but doesn't seem to be a real person. The last standing British flyer Richard (Fox) is a snobbish chauvinist. In short the comedy is full of stereotypes, but it is mostly good fun.
½ February 15, 2011
Trust Me... Slapstick at it's best... will always hold this film close.
March 23, 2010
A very amusing film that really "takes off and soars".
½ February 18, 2010
I love this movie and its companion piece. Charming and fun with an international cast.