The Three Faces of Eve - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Three Faces of Eve Reviews

½ September 1, 2013
Guess the shifting of personalities were simplified for a laymen to understand it easily. While I liked the performances, I found it difficult to swallow the stuff and be mesmerized by its taste. I found this in the suggestion box for Sybil, and find it perfectly fit in there, be it for MPD or for the genuineness of their story. Cooke starts it with an ironic note of "This is a true story" comment, and was good as a narrator. The movie hasn't dated well, and I'd have liked Hitchcock to have treat this extraordinary (as for its time) story.
August 25, 2011
This film is the portrait of a woman with multiple personality disorder.
I think Ken Hanke of Mountain Xpress best summarizes my opinion of this film: "It once seemed daring[;] now it seems simplistic." At the time, 1957, this film probably portrayed a little-known condition with little-known Freudian treatment, so that the popular audience had to be assured of the subject's verisimilitude, hence the framing narrator vouching for the film's accuracy to a point that the narrator "doth protest too much methinks." But now, Eve's condition is portrayed more like Thing from another World with magical and threatening music toning in every time one of Eve's personalities appears. It becomes heavy-handed, and for an audience that has seen Raising Cain, among all the other films about multiple personalities, it's trite.
That said, Joanne Woodward is fantastic, fully creating each personality and delivering a performance that of the "they don't make 'em like that any more" variety. I also liked the film's feminist overtones. Ralph is an appropriate villain, and making him the villain, the film impugns patriarchal culture.
The story's construction is also faulty in parts. There's no need for Woodward's song, and who the hell is Earl? He suddenly appears like the deus ex machina he is, and we have no reason to think of him as a worthy goal.
Overall, The Three Faces of Eve is a film to see because it's a classic, but unlike most good classics, it has been imitated and refined to the point that it lost its originality and spark.
September 5, 2010
This drama is brilliantly fantastic, I loved it. The actors are great, the story is intriguing, and it's based on a true story, what else could you ask for in a drama?
½ January 11, 2009
It would be difficult to imagine a more demanding role than a character with three completely different personalities, and it would be equally difficult to imagine anyone rising to the challenge better than the lovely and gifted Joanne Woodward. Her performance is jaw dropping, utterly believable, and oscar worthy.
Mr Awesome
½ March 6, 2009
House wife "Eve" (Joanne Woodward in an oscar-winning role) buys alot of expensive "hollywood" dresses without remembering she had ever done so, then suddenly tries to strangle her child. Her redneck husband thinks she's batty and takes her to the doctors. It turns out Eve has multiple personality disorder, a disease which causes her to take up drinking alcohol and dancing in bars til all hours of the night. Her husband (played to the hilt by David Wayne) tells her "a good whoopin'" will knock some sense into her (he's quite a lowlife here), but in truth only her doctors can save her now. She's very polite when it comes to switching personalities, always able to do so at an instant, whenever demanded of her (even though she seems to have no control over it herself). Narrated like a docu-drama, Three Faces of Eve is still a 1950s handling of multiple personalities disorder. It maybe revolutionary for it's time, but the plot moves too slowly and what was once considered taboo (drinking in bars, oh my!) or shocking is now pretty blase. The only scenes of real greatness were the ones dealing with repressed memories, and these were handled with great artistry. I can see why Woodward won the oscar, she puts in a hell of a performance, its just too bad the movie itself seems so dated.
½ June 9, 2007
A bit dated but joanne woodward is great as always
½ May 7, 2014
Joanne Woodward's first attempt at playing a woman with multiple personalities (and believe it or not, there are a couple) is okay although it seems to play the psychiatric condition for thrills much more than it should. Not a mature view of a disease.
½ December 4, 2013
This adaptation based on a book by psychiatrists Corbett H. Thigpen and Hervey M. Cleckley, who also helped write the screenplay was directed as a case study. Literally... from the beginning when (at that time famous) Alistair Cooke shows up to introduce the film, we know that the fact-based story will be recreated as close as possible to the real events in the life of Chris Costner Sizemore, also known as Eve White, a woman they suggested might suffer from multiple personality disorder. Sizemore's identity was concealed in interviews and this film, and was not revealed to the public until 1975.

Joanne Woodward won the Academy Award for Best Actress, making her the first actress to win an Oscar for portraying three different personalities (Eve White, Eve Black and Jane). The Three Faces of Eve also became the first film to win the Best Actress award without getting nominated in another category, and the last for nearly 31 years until Jodie Foster won the award for The Accused, the film's sole nomination. It is understandable - because only Woodward's acting was outstanding - everything else could be improved - especially the directing, camera work, photography and editing! Too many clichés left a movie about three personalities without a personality itself. I can see now how far the artistic value of the films is changed or improved. This seemed really daring at the time, now it is too simplistic to actually satisfy my cravings for a good engaging movie. It is like getting those old Atari game consoles out of the attic instead of the latest X-Box and prefer to play with it. It has a sentimental value, not much more in our modern time where movies are not black and white. On the other hand, there are some films from those times which will stand the test of the time forever, because they were never following the entertaining industry rules and formulas - they were following the urge of the artist... those are the movies which will survive through all the times and gaining value, like those old valuable paintings in the Louvre.

Joanne Woodward's acting will survive... the movie... I already forgot about it.
April 20, 2010
Joanne Woodward's performance was good. The upbeat ending probably wasn't necessary.
April 1, 2009
The movie the Three Faces of Eve is a true story about a southern wife in the 1950's. Her name was Eve White. She is taken by her husband to see the psychiatrist Dr. Luther. After hyptonitizing her, he discovers that she has two disctnictive personalties. One is EVe White, a rather depressed housewife. The other is Eve Black a very flirty southern gal. Later a third personality is discovered, named Jane who has no memory.
I found this movie to be very entertaining througout. Joanee Woodward does a fantastic job as Eve(she won a academy award for the role). I was fastinayed with her portral of the three personalties. For those of you who dont like movies because they are old, please give this film a chance. There are times when I have been bored by the old cinema, I'll admit. However with this one I was impressed. Just about every scene in this movie there is something that catches your eye. I found several of the scenes to be humourous. When she transforms into Eve Black she flirts with everyone! Even her psychiatrist, who was double her age! What the hell!?
So overall I found this movie quite a surprise. People who are interested in psychology will surely find this enjoyable along with anyone who enjoys great cinema.

advertisementEve Black: Don't you want to get me one?
Ralph White: Well, I've never seen you take a drink before.
Eve Black: Honey, there are a lot of things you've never seen me do before. That's no sign I don't do 'em.
February 6, 2013
An early, too simplistic Hollywood melodrama about split personality, well acted by Joanne Woodward in an Oscar-winning performance.
December 15, 2012
I didn't like the revelation at the end (about what caused her split personalities*), but this was a a fairly straightforward--but good--look at something that's been done to death in the interim.

*SPOILER* I kept thinking it would be revealed that the split was caused by her obviously abusive husband. I forgot that this movie was made in 1957 when stuff like that was a bit more tolerated.
March 2, 2009
Woodward is the reason to see this. the factual presentation rather than a dramatized account slows it down. the best story element is deconstructing why she developed the personalities and that's done so well similar to a hitchcock or fritz lang climax.
½ December 6, 2008
Joanne Woodward was supberb. The movie was good, but I found the big reveal of what caused Eve to have multiple personalities to be a big disappointment. Then again, times have changed so much that I'm jaded.
June 20, 2008
Great movie, but I remain skeptical that kissing a corpse is traumatic enough to give a person multiple personality disorder.
½ November 3, 2007
saw this one in school when learning about mpd...later saw woodward in sybil which was AMAZING! she must have a thing for mp's
½ December 23, 2007
A precursor to phsyciactric dramas like Ordianry People. Generally well acted, but the plot plods a little at times.
May 8, 2007
This is the old "sybil". Or something similar to it. It's a classic/old time movie. But so much emotion- it kinda drains you just watching the movie in the comfort of your own home.
January 15, 2007
SO MUCH DRAMA! My favorite black&white movie ever! It's so awesome, I recommend it with confidence! I like old movies, so I'm recommending this!
½ June 3, 2006
I've always been intrigued by mental disorders and stories about them - obsessive compulsive disorder, multiple personality disorder, schizophrenia, paranoia . . . So it's no surprise that I enjoyed this movie. It was simply fascinating. I found myself caught up in the story without even meaning to be. Joanne Woodward did a superb job in this role. That would have been a TOUGH one to pull off. Yet she managed to even LOOK different with each one of the personalities. Tons of kudos to her for this... and to everyone who decided this movie was a good idea.