• PG-13, 1 hr. 28 min.

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Throw Momma from the Train Reviews

July 10, 2014
A clever black comedy with a funny pairing of Billy Crystal and Danny DeVito. It exceeded my expectations especially as I don't always enjoy dark humor. (First and only viewing - 7/10/2014)
FilmGrinder S.
July 23, 2014
89%

Not as funny as WAR OF THE ROSES or DEATH TO SMOOCHY, but damn near.
June 9, 2014
This is an amusing and comedic take on Hitchcock's "Strangers on a Train". I hadn't seen it since it was in theatres, it's fairly amusing, Anne Ramsey is hilarious though. A good time killer.
Dann M

April 23, 2014
Billy Crystal and Danny DeVito team up for the off-the-wall comedy Throw Momma From the Train. After being framed for his ex-wife's disappearance, writing instructor Larry Donner is blackmailed by one of his students who wants Donner to kill his mother for him. Crystal and DeVito are great together and give a lot of personality to their characters. Yet, there are some problems with the tone as the film seems unsure of how dark to take the comedy. Additionally, there are some script problems (especially in the last act). Throw Momma From the Train is uneven and derails a little bit, but it's still a fun ride.
April 15, 2014
Its a funny film if a little simplistic in parts. Definitely a better watch back in the day
January 7, 2014
Amusing black comedy that succeeds due to the talents of Crystal and De Vito.
January 3, 2014
Throw Momma from the Train is an interesting experiment. After all, not many people have tried to remake an Alfred Hitchcock film as a comedy. But any suspense this movie may have had is undercut by the comedic tone. Anne Ramsey is the highlight of the film, while Billy Crystal and Danny DeVito both seem to be coasting. This movie never quite gets off the ground.
TheFeldster
January 1, 2014
I do enjoy black humour, and "Throw Momma from the Train" certainly has that in spades. This film, from director/star Danny DeVito, reimagines Hitchcock's "Strangers on a Train" for comedic effect, with DeVito and Billy Crystal entering into a murder swap arrangement.

Most of the laughs are played by Anne Ramsey, as DeVito's overbearing mother who consequently becomes Crystal's murder target.

Still, there's fun to be had from the other leads, but not as much. This makes it an above average comedy, but nothing overly special.
December 25, 2013
My main memory of this film was when I was a video store clerk and we had a cardboard stand-up of Momma with a button to hear a recording of Anne Ramsey yelling at customers to rent her movie. It was pretty funny at first, but I wanted to kill the Momma stand after awhile too. We actually took the batteries out when the manager wasn't there so we wouldn't have to hear it. But to the film itself, this is a hilariously dark comedy from director/star Danny DeVito. I remember being taken aback by DeVito's meek, quiet character after having primarily associated him with the wildly aggressive Louie De Palma from "Taxi," and also being very surprised with what a inventive and darkly funny director DeVito was. The film still holds up as a very funny and very twisted, but still if a easily palatable way for mainstream audiences thanks to Billy Crystal. Anne Ramsey very much deserved her bet supporting actress nomination for the hideous Momma. It was also fun to see a young Kate Mulgrew in a comic performance after seeing her in so many serious roles later (and now seeing her much older in a comic role again on "Orange is the New Black"). David Newman also does what I think is one of his best scores, which is peppy and also a throwback to classic films, just as the story is a throwback to Hitchcock. The other major star of this film for me is director of photography Barry Sonnenfeld, who was on fire at this time with this film, working with the Coen Brothers, "Big", "When Harry Met Sally", and "Misery." For how great this film is, it's surprising that this was the only feature film written by Stu Silver, who wrote pretty much for TV before and after this film. Overall, it's a wonderfully dark comedy that I think will appeal to most viewers.
The Big Pupbowski
May 22, 2013
Had some very funny parts.
Robyn M.
July 2, 2013
Black comedy isn't always an easy sell. Every now and then you get a black comedy that is hugely successful, like Fargo, for example. But usually they don't often find big audiences. People seem to either set their minds for intellectual comedy, or for serious mayhem. There doesn't seem to be a big market for a good mixture of both. Throw Momma From the Train was a fairly decent hit, yet few people seem to remember much about it in this day and age. Danny DeVito just about hit this one all the way out of the park back in 1987. Throw Momma from the train is a staple 80's film that people should watch when in a funk- believe me it cures Depression but maybe not the common cold.
June 26, 2013
Surprisingly funny effort from Danny DeVito. With a bit of practice- and funnier scripts- he could really make a career out of directing.
Christian C

June 10, 2013
Ugh! And tie the director to the tracks! This is mindless dreck with a supremely annoying and unimaginative cast.
May 22, 2013
I like it mainly because I'm a big Danny DeVito fan. It appears dated a little and drags on at the beginning but the comedy between Devito and Ann Ramsay is better than with Billy Crystal although he isn't terrible. It turns out to be a cute movie and even a bit wholesome!
July 5, 2007
I wonder why I gave this such a low rating. It is quite memorable. Who could possibly forget Anne Ramsey? What a character! I'd love to see this again.
Anthony A.
November 5, 2011
Hilarious film. I like it. Mrs. Lift is so funny and I'm glad she went back to loving Owen in the end!
Matthew J.
February 17, 2013
"Throw Momma from the Train" has a limited number of laughs and fails to be charismatic despite it's talented cast.
February 15, 2013
Danny DeVito and Anne Ramsey are amazing and very funny in this dark cleaver story film with some good humour.
January 23, 2012
In a surprisingly strong film, Anne Ramsay is able to give her finest performance.