39% The Other Woman Apr 25

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Thumbsucker Reviews

339z
October 29, 2006
wow ummmmn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch.......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that lou taylor pucci, tilda swinton, vince vaughn, vincent d onofrio, keanu reeves, play good roles/parts throughout this movie.......i think that the director of this drama/art house/international/comedy movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......i think that lou taylor pucci was good thorughout this movie as the lead role of justin throughout this movie......i think that benjamin bratt was brilliant thorughout this movie.......i think that the cameos thorughout this movie Nancy O'Dell as herself,
Walter Kirn (cameo) as Debate judge, were good throughout this movie......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie......i think that keanu reeves was brilliant throughout this movie......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie......i think that kelli garner was good throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really enjoyable movie 2 watch.......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie......i think that keanu reeves was brilliant thorughout this movie......i think that this is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie......its such an enjoyable movie 2 watch........
filmlover1994
December 28, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
November 1, 2013
A dysfunctional family, a dysfunctional teenager looking for some sense for his life.
Maybe the phrase from Perry resumes all: "The trick is living without answers"
November 4, 2007
JOUISSANCE DU SEPTIÃME
June 18, 2011
A film that feels like it would almost literally stand up and say to aspiring filmmakers, "You can make a film if you care to have a concept, stay true to that concept and make as many right moves as you can given the circumstances." Admittedly, there are many other independant films that could do the same, but this film was the first to hit me.
August 6, 2013
Based upon the book by Walter Kim first published in 1999, and directed by Mike Mills (Beginners (2010)), this is a touching, quirky and funny film about growing pains and the stuggle to break certain habits. It has a very good cast, and made for a meagre $4 million, it manages to do quite a bit with not a lot, but it is a very memorable film. It's odd and it won't be for everyone, but something rings true about it. 17 year old Justin Cobb (Lou Pucci) is a shy high-school student who keeps to himself, but he still sucks his thumb, which irritates his parents Audrey (Tilda Swinton) and Mike (Vincent D'Onofrio), who he refers to by their first name. This habit has led to Justin having major orthodontic repair work, but his dentist Dr. Perry Lyman (Keanu Reeves) is able to put Justin into a hypnotic trance to get him off sucking his thumb, but this makes him even more miserable, and it affects his schoolwork. His parents put him on Ritalin, which improves his social skills and leads to him doing really well at school, but it leads to him becoming quite aggressive. Thumbsucker is a good little indie film, and it's a good character piece, but it's quirkiness does work against it at times, especially in the middle. But it manages to be likeable for the most part, and it shows how teenagers can deal with the angst that happens.
closedmouth
April 25, 2011
I thought it was nicely directed, visually, and in the editing and acting; Mills sets a lovely tone, and he's an expert at montages. The script isn't so great, with an only intermittently interesting protagonist and a weak third act, but I felt like it worked in spite of this.
Allen G.
May 13, 2013
Another indie film that's too heavy on cliches and not really willing enough to stand out from its counterparts. Despite this, it has a strong cast, interesting script and enough intelligence to make it worth watching.

Pucci's character did little for me and this damaged the experience a fair bit- when you have a film based around a character that isn't as interesting and dynamic as the characters around them then you are going to be pretty frustrated. His performance was good though but I just didn't like where he went with the character and the odds were against him with his character being the weakest in the script in my view.

There was lots going on around him though- his parents in particular I found interesting and Reeves' character certainly had me scratching my head. The plot lines never felt real to me- this one is three other films put into one- I'd name them but I can't remember the names, mostly because they weren't particularly memorable films. The subtleties are what makes this one though and I think that comes from the performances and general feel of the film. For me its a film that's basics are bad- it really shouldn't manage to develop into somethign worth-watching but this one certainly does. it's leaves me with that curiosity in my mind, its a specific feeling I get from indie films, its difficult to explain but this film is smart and interesting enough to leave me with it. The magic in this one is that it seems to want to be a teen coming-of-age movie and, for me anyway, it failed in that respect, and yet, there's enough elsewhere to make this film good- the world is interesting in this film even if many elements of the film aren't. It made for a strange viewing but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's almost an accidental success.
December 23, 2011
a great movie about self-acceptance.
July 9, 2007
Strange movie. Somewhat watchable, but not my cup of tea.
April 5, 2013
Not Mike's stronger work, but good for a debut film.
April 2, 2013
Worth watching for Keanus cameo alone!
August 3, 2012
To me, it really just felt like a bunch of small stories all massed up together into a movie...
December 9, 2009
keanu reeves is perfectly cast in this. its a mess. i expected better from u mike mills
Who Kez
January 13, 2013
We're all addicted to something. I love this movie. It felt real, endearing, sensitive, and had a quirky indie feel to it. But I feel the following quotes suffice as an indication of why I love this film: "We have to overcome the idea that everyone is the same.... I stopped trying to be anything. I accepted myself in all my human disorder. You might wanna do the same.... That's 'cause we all wanna be problemless. To fix ourselves. We look for some magic solution to make us all better, but none of us really know what we're doing. And why is that so bad? That's all we humans can do. Guess. Try. Hope. But, Justin, just pray you don't fool yourself into thinking you've got the answer. Because that's bullshit. The trick is living without an answer. I think." Thumbsucker hit home for me!
October 30, 2012
a movie only neurotics will appreciate and love.
Robyn M.
October 10, 2012
I rented the movie and was SO bored that I pushed skip, while viewing 10-15 seconds of each chapter then fast forwarding.... I understood the film and realised this should have been a short... Thumb-sucker didn't need the extra hour & a half..... but that's just my opinion.
October 6, 2012
I think the best part of this film is Keanu Reeves that plays the orthodontist, that in itself could be a whole other movie.
July 21, 2012
Don't give up on this one! The "greatness" of this film and story kicked in for me after about 20 minutes or so. I identified with this so much, from my own teenage angst, and the blessings and difficulties in spending 19 years with my own son, soon to be applying to a 4-year college/university. My only complaint: too much whispering! Hollywood: please stop whispering in movies :D