Bonding with Bond, Day 4: Thunderball

Summary

Community Manager RT-Ryan has never seen a single James Bond film, except for 2006's Casino Royale. To rectify the situation, he decides to watch every Bond film and write about his reaction as a 007 novice. Today's entry focuses on some general observations on the franchise that were inspired by watching the fourth movie, Thunderball. Back to Article

Comments

inactive user

Jared King

It's Stephen Colbert who said "James Bond dosen't have emotions. Just Thunderballs!... Guys don't feel." Not the best but a solid Bond film.

Oct 24 - 06:37 PM

Boyo

Raymond Hopkin

Hey! One other thing for you to be conscious of when watching the movies is the music. Every time I do this marathon I'm always amazed at how the music is still totally Bond, while changing to match the era it's released. John Barry is the best! (and as a Welshman myself, I do have to have a soft spot for the theme you've just watched - Thunderball by Tom Jones!) Actually, come to think of it, we Welsh have done the series proud in the music department, what with the aforementioned Jones, and who can forget Shirley Bassey, with three great tunes - Goldfinger, Diamonds Are Forever and Moonraker, surely the epitome of the Bond song!

Oct 24 - 06:45 PM

rt-ryan

Ryan Fujitani

Actually, Boyo, I did have a bit in my original draft of the writeup talking about the Bond songs, which have now been featured in the last three that I've seen. Unfortunately, it lengthened the article too much, so I cut it out. I may make reference to it in the next one however.

Oct 24 - 07:03 PM

inactive user

Jared King

(to the tune of "Goldfinger")

Thuuunderrrballs!...

It dosen't work.

Oct 24 - 07:57 PM

aconline

Adam Collins

I think that it is great that you are watching the unofficial Bond films as well. They help give better appreciation for the franchise of official ones. If you are watching the original spoof Casino Royale, the DVD features the original ORIGINAL Casino Royale from 1954 which was a tv movie and worth the watch. It has Bond as a US agent and Leiter is the British spy. Plus, Peter Lorre plays Le Chiffre. I look forward to your article every day now. One thing to mention about Thunderball that you didn't, is my favorite line of dialogue. Fiona asks for something to wear, and James hands her a pair of shoes. CLASSIC!

Oct 24 - 08:02 PM

Shawndorman

Shawn Eastridge

With the popularity of Goldfinger, the producers realized EXACTLY what their audiences wanted: more explosions! More gadgets! More babes! More quips!! That's exactly what they got in Thunderball, though it's not quite up to par with Goldfinger. The underwater sequences are a bit long and boring, but what was really revolutionary about them was that they hadn't been done so extensively in a feature film before. It was practically the tag line of the movie: COME SEE IT! IT'S GOT BOND AND THIS TIME HE'S FIGHTING UNDERWATER!!!!! Good luck with the original Casino Royale. I haven't seen it but I've heard dreadful things. Get back to the originals son!

Oct 24 - 08:05 PM

rt-ryan

Ryan Fujitani

ledawg,
Funny you should make that comment, because as I was watching Goldfinger, I kept hearing "Moon River" whenever the first three notes of the theme song were sung.

aconline,
I'm probably going to be catching the old Casino Royale on Netflix Instant Watching, since I've seen it available there, so I probably won't get a chance to see the original as you mentioned. Also, I thought that was a great moment as well, and part of me almost wanted her to take him up on that offer and walk around only in a pair of shoes for the rest of the movie.

Oct 24 - 08:08 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Moooon Riivverr, Goooldfingerr,... yeah I can see it.

Oct 24 - 09:02 PM

indiefilmfan2

Brandon R

Domino maybe the hottest Bond girl of them all.

Even when quality of the films declined in the 70's, you could always count on some great theme songs. I can't speak the same about the 80's though.

Oct 24 - 09:29 PM

Zombies happen.

Serpent T Rainbow

You can dance that comment into the fire. ;)

Oct 24 - 09:58 PM

Shawndorman

Shawn Eastridge

AHAHAH, amen to that. One fatal kiss is all you'll need.

Oct 24 - 10:55 PM

Zombies happen.

Serpent T Rainbow

You can dance that comment into the fire. ;)

Oct 24 - 09:58 PM

Shawndorman

Shawn Eastridge

AHAHAH, amen to that. One fatal kiss is all you'll need.

Oct 24 - 10:55 PM

Shawndorman

Shawn Eastridge

AHAHAH, amen to that. One fatal kiss is all you'll need.

Oct 24 - 10:55 PM

Craig Smith

I got a good laugh out of this film when the UKSS (United Kingdom Scuba Sqaud) rocked up out of the blue towards the end.

Oct 24 - 11:14 PM

buckeyes1186

Adam Specht

I wasn't a big fan of Thunderball when I first saw it, but it has grown on me. I'll take it over Goldfinger any day of the week, but it's definitely Terence Young's weakest Bond film.

Thunderball's big accomplishments are mostly technical. The underwater sequences are absolutely incredible, even if they are about twice as long as they should be. Terence Young was such an incredibly innovative filmmaker.

From a narrative/character standpoint, Fiona Volpe is the true star of the film. I struggle to remember anything noteworthy about Domino, but Fiona is just incredible. Luciana Paluzzi set the standard for all of the future Bond femme fatales and in my opinion, she's still the very best.

Oct 25 - 01:37 AM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

Yet another awesome film. The Bond franchise is the only series I can think of in which its first four movies were awesome.

Oct 25 - 05:43 AM

IndianaSchwartz

kyle scott

I have to say, I am really loving this Bonding with Bond, and you're very funny about it. I have only seen a few Bond movies and you've inspired me to go out and do the same thing you are. Thanks for this very entertaining piece.

Oct 25 - 09:40 AM

inactive user

Jared King

I agree, at least on other Bond films. I never gave Thunderball a watch til recently.

Oct 25 - 10:45 AM

Tiffany T.

Tiffany Taylor

This is a great series. And high time you're watching all the films!

My mom refused to watch any Bond films for years after Thunderball, because the underwater sequence put her to sleep. When I'd suggest watching Bond, she'd say, "No, they always have those long scenes in the ocean, and they're so boring..." I finally convinced her to give a newer film a try, and she's enjoyed the Bond movies ever since. (I'm with her, though -- although I don't go to sleep during the underwater parts, they are VERY dull.)

I haven't been able to enjoy Goldfinger as much since I watched it last year and noticed that Goldfinger brings in all the gangster leaders, explains his entire plot to them, and then -- for no apparent reason -- kills them. Why bother with the monologue? The whole scene doesn't make sense, and it bothers me. It's also different from the book; but none of the movies bear more than a superficial resemblance to the books that share their names, so I can't really complain about that. (Ian Fleming must have told the studio to show him the money and in return told them they could do anything they wanted.)

I can't wait for you to get to Live and Let Die -- it isn't as campy as, say, Moonraker, but it's completely over the top, fun to watch, and often just plain funny.

I've never shared the general enthusiasm for Connery as Bond, perhaps because I find his Bond films dated and slow. Roger Moore's films are fun, although he frequently takes his misoggyny to a point that I consider really offensive (bat her around and then take her to bed, etc.). I enjoyed Pierce Brosnan very much as Bond, and didn't think anyone could be better ... but then came Daniel Craig. My, my, my. I absolutely loved Casino Royale, and my entire family is counting the days until Quantum of Solace!

Oct 25 - 11:42 AM

bawiseconsulting

Brenda Wise

Oct 25 - 11:57 AM

inactive user

Jared King

Oct 25 - 04:25 PM

markbart0305

Mark Bartoszek

I absolutely loved Thunderball. I think it features the best dialogue of any Bond film, and Sean Connery's cocky persona is in full force here.

Also keep in mind that Thunderball is one of the highest grossing movies of all time when adjusted for inflation. It's #26 in fact, one above The Dark Knight.

Oct 25 - 04:47 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday