Thunderbirds - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thunderbirds Reviews

Directors Cat
November 6, 2011
Thunderbirds could have been a good movie, all it needed was say something to do with the series or a good script without simplistic dialgoue.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ November 3, 2010
When I was a kid, I used to watch the Thunderbirds, I thought the show was excellent, fun and Thrilling. I was a little skeptical about watching this film, as it looked like a kids film, and it also looked like the film makers didn't know what they were doing. Boy was I right. Ths film is Aan insult to the original series, and it's fans. They could've at least made a film that the whole family could love, but instead they made a crap film. With it's child oriented humour, the film is a faillure even by child oriented film standards. This film was amusing, but it wore off, and the fact that they 'reinvented' the look and style of the original series was just wrong. They could have at least try to make a film that the entire family could love, instead they simply made this film for kids, this was honestly a bad move. One of the reasons why is becase the original fans of the series were born in the 60's and grew up watching Thunderbirds, my dad grew up on it, and he made me watch it when I was a kid. Anyhow, the film is terrible because every actor here seems miscast for the part, the story is lame, and the actors are plainly silly. Ben Kingsly was a joke in this film, not even his talent could redeem such a horrid picture. I really was hoping for something terrific on screen. Instead we were given a total joke of a movie. The nostalgic feel of this film is absent. The only good thing that came out of this film is that it will reiinforce the status of the original series more. Watch the series instead instead of this filth. This is a film that should not have been made.
February 6, 2010
Really? This is like comparing Spy Kids to Battlefield earth!
June 29, 2009
Not a terrible film (not good either)...what was the point of this? The reason the Thunderbirds TV show was so cool was the puppets. This film? No puppets. The prosecution rests.
February 27, 2009
This is a good kids movie. It was well directed as well.
I know some out there thought it was crap but the flick was made for kids. Get over it.
December 21, 2007
Bearing in mind I couldn't stand the original puppet series, this needed to be bloody brilliant for me to even like it a little. It wasn't; I didn't. In fairness, Sophia Myles is good as Lady Penelope, and Ron Cook and Ben Kingsley aren't bad as Parker and The Hood, respectively. As for the Tracys, they're so nauseatingly sweet and goody-goody they're like the superhero equivalent of The Osmonds. Dreadful.
August 28, 2006
Well I'm not sure what to say about this film, due to the lack of any quality at all. I enjoyed it, mainly because I laughed through it! One performance ,which was near enough to the character, was Anothony Edwards' performance of Brains! It was very good, Almost making me believe he was Brains.

If you want to see it, don't go by yourself. take your children or younger brothers and sisters-they'll enjoy it more!I have to declare that the original Gerry Anderson puppet version is better and shouldn't have been made in such a poor way!

Not bad,could have been much much better
½ June 4, 2006
The film fails miserably. Mainly because for some reason the makers decided to aim it squarely at kids, and really young kids at that. It doesn't even focus around the main chracters of the show. It is like Spy Kids with lots of rockets. I was never a fan of the TV show but it was much better than this and deserved a good adaptaion. There is some good to be found mainly in the performances of Anthony Edwards as Brains and Ron Cook as Parker.
June 30, 2007
This movie is not very good. The good stuff is the redesign of the ships, costumes and locations. I thought it would be alot better as the TV series.
chadroesti
February 19, 2007
OK for a kids flick - would have liked it when I was 12
Isaac
½ June 25, 2007
Surprisingly decent family film. Action packed, not great, but worth seeing. I enjoyed watching it.
FanGirl
June 21, 2006
The ships are fun to look at and Lady P is cool. But the lead boy's character drove me nuts.
½ August 10, 2015
Aww man, Frakes you're better than this. The same goes for Kingsley but then I'm used to seeing him appear in bad movies. But Frakes man, you directed my favorite Star Trek film and showed real talent. But this... It looks like Spy Kids, only without the sense of fun. And with worse acting. Honestly, how could the original cast of puppets be better actors than flesh and blood performers? Sure, focusing entirely on three kids separated from your seasoned performers for them to play off of was always going to be dangerous, but these kids are remarkably flat even given the circumstances. While the dreadful script is mostly to blame for that, Frakes has to take some responsibility. The "martial arts" scenes would have looked cheesy even in TNG fight scene. Used to working with experienced actors he has no idea how to handle children, and for some reason he manages to screw up the pacing on even the few decent moments the script throws up. Rush rush rush to get to the end. A worthy goal as it happens, but it makes the entire film a real drag.
½ November 4, 2014
A really forgettable piece of filmmaking that is not worth your time at all. It boasts unmemorable characters, poor acting, wasted talent, tensionless situations, and bad mediocre writing. Throughout the movie, I wished that I would be watching something better. The child actors bring no good presence on screen and I did not care about any of them. Talented actors Ben Kingsley and Bill Paxton are not given much to do and they were under a poorly written script. The only positives I could name was that I thought the premise was intriguing and if it had been in good hands, it would have been a solid movie and the other positive was that it wasn't a total piece of garbage. There is nothing to recommend here and it was only made to try to make a quick buck from the general public.
½ July 30, 2011
I didn't expect this movie to be intelligent. But was it necessary to make it so boring and offensively bad? Not even the youngest kids would like this.
½ September 11, 2012
Being old enough to recall the animated puppets in this show when it was a top hit among us 'kids'., this is an up to date movie with real people not puppets and remains true to all the cool things found in the original episodes. "Thunderbirds Are Go!"
½ December 2, 2011
ok i'm gonna be honest. i only watched this movie because vanessa hudgens was in it.however i have come to a conclusion that its not half bad. i would recommend for teens and tweens
½ October 11, 2011
not a bad film and some parts were really cute. I've seen it a few times and no not by myself, but a few times. only once by myself because i had to check it out before someone much younger could watch it. It's a good family film.
½ June 14, 2011
i don't even know why i'm reviewing this piece of shit...

anyway as a fan of the orignal series done by Gerry Anderson (and an owner of the original 2 theatrical movies) i say this movie had potential with some of the cast and director...but clearly somebody didn't do there homework on the original source material, for in the original Series theyre father (Jeff Tracy) is retired and basically the commander of the organization (which is meant to be a secret one) and alan is the pilot of thunderbird 3 (the rocket) also who the fuck is this kid that's apparently the son of brains? i mean c'mon what the fuck...i could go on about what i found wrong with what little i managed to tolerate of this movie but in the end, Stay Far...Far...Away from this load of garbage and stick to the original 2 films (Thunderbirds are Go! and Thunderbird 6)
½ June 9, 2011
I'm sorry. This is a fail, and that's the whole darn truth. The main character came across to me as big headed, talentless, and a real douche. His (and everyone else's) acting was terrible. I've seen five year olds do better. This movie was a waste, a disaster, and even though the thunderbirds save people, they failed to save the audiences attention.