43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

Thunderstruck Reviews

MANUGINO
MANUGINO

December 18, 2012
NBA superstar Kevin Durant has got game. His biggest fan has none. Things are about to switch!

Good movie! One great message in this film is that talent isn't something you get; talent is something that you earn with hard work and dedication. It was predictable in its format and that last 10 minutes were basically a carbon copy of most other movies of this type, so don't be shocked. It isn't an Oscar contender, but compared to other movies starring athletes, this was a good one.

A fun and energetic family basketball movie starring Kevin Durant AS HIMSELF, a basketball star who switches talent with a klutzy 16 year old fan. When Brian, a hopelessly uncoordinated young fan magically switches talents with his hero, Kevin Durant, he becomes the star of his high school team...while Kevin Durant suddenly can't make a shot to save his life. But with the playoffs approaching, Brian learns that being a true winner involves working hard at your own game, and he tries to make things right in time to prevent a catastrophic end to his hero's season.
March 9, 2013
I love a good sports film, and while this might not have quite earned that particular adjective, it was good enough. Jim Belushi is always great, and it was hilarious watching Kevin Durant stumble all over himself and miss 2 foot shots, but the real star of this one was Brandon T. Jackson. Taylor Gray, well, he could use a few...hundred...acting lessons.
March 7, 2013
Sometimes when people watch movies that are indefensibly bad, yet they like them anyway, they refer to them as "cute." Because I could never say anything bad about my one and only, Kevin Durant, I have to refer to this movie as "cute," because it's basically a pile of garbage that makes 90 minutes feel like an eternity. Luckily, I was willing and able to revel in the plot's simplistic awfulness, Kevin Durant's acting skills (notice how I didn't put skills in quotation marks!), and the Mama Durant cameo. But only to an extent.
superreub1
December 28, 2012
Really good sports movie. My 10 year
old is a big basketball fan and he watched it 3 times in 2 days when I rented it. Now that I bought it and have on flixster he can watch it whenever he wants. Kevin Durant did a really good job in acting. Not every athlete does that well when they dabble on the big screen.
nduffduff
December 17, 2012
the best movie for kevin durant i love that guy because he is my person i would look up to for b-ball
July 4, 2014
Similar to many NBA basketball star movies, Thunderstruck is cliche and uncreative on any point, but is still enjoyable for most age groups.
December 16, 2013
Good Movie.
It was funny, cute, and interesting,
This is a GREAT resource of a Kids&Family Movie! 4 stars Rated PG!
July 6, 2013
Slightly different than Ray Allen in 'He Got Game'...just slightly
March 10, 2013
why wasnt this nominated for best picture!?
February 26, 2013
pretty lousy movie that throws all your sports movie cliches in a blender and is destined to go straight to dvd in places where kevin durant is not treated as a god from the very beginning. however it's pretty harmless and occasionally reaches a level of pretty well-written, genuine hilarity that movies like space jam and like mike never managed to reach. lol
February 9, 2013
So bad it is laughable on multiple occasions. Talent swap movies are never really destined for good things but this movie was absolutely TERRIBLE. I hurt my brain to watch.
January 19, 2013
aside from the unoriginal plot and bad acting, still good to see KD in a movie
December 28, 2012
bad movie all around
December 9, 2012
Like Mike rip off hahaha
Conor O.
December 9, 2012
Love it except the dunking is so fake
November 29, 2012
kevin durant makes me sick!
Kadeem S.
October 19, 2012
I know Thunderstruck is not near me in my local theater, a rental is better for me. But I'm a big Kevin Durant fan, it sucks when the Thunder didn't win the championship to the Heat. But the movie is fun for the whole family if you're still watching basketball all the time. It looks a little different than "Like Mike," but as long as the Thunder could get another shot next year, Kevin sure knows what kind of offense he is scoring right now.
September 12, 2012
man the trailer is wikid
Jason Michaud
September 6, 2012
Thunderstruck August 24
Initial Reaction: How does thunder strike something?

Main Characters
Brian: He's a kid who wants to be a great basketball player. He's played by Taylor Gray
Kevin Durant: He's that star from the Oklahoma City Thunder playing himself in the film.

Plot Summary
Brian wants to be one great basketball player, except he doesn't have the skills needed; he's a bad shot, he can't pass and can just barely dribble the ball in the first place.
At a game, he's picked to take the half court shot, and missed badly. When he gets the ball off the ground, he meets up with Kevin Durant.
At that moment he gets Durant's basketball abilities - and Durant gets Kevin's really bad basketball skills.
With the newfound abilities, Brian becomes the star of his high school basketball team - and the biggest thing to happen to that school in a long time.
But the rise to fame comes with a price.

SCORING
Main Characters
I like these two. Brian's great as the kid who dreams of being great, but can't be because of lack of skill, and I like the way Kevin Durant has to deal with his sudden slump. SCORE: 9

Supporting Cast
Kevin's agent is really good as the guy who wants to salvage his star's year - or even career - after the incident with Brian
But what I really didn't like was the leading lady in the film, Isabel. She's just there to look pretty and be the unforgiving moral support and love interest to Kevin. SCORE: 5

Plot
I like the parts that have to deal with the basketball - the sudden rist to fame and the big ego that comes with the rise. And I also liked how several other former NBA starts get into the film and put some humor into the story.
But the parts that deal with the romantic subplot between Isabel and Kevin - just doesn't work at all in this film. SCORE: 6

Originality
This film tries to be unique, but it falls into several predicable paths. First off, I knew how the film's going to end, and how it gets to that conclusion. And I should've guessed how the Kevin/Isabel story was going to work out. SCORE: 4

Violence Factor
Not much here - except a mascot gets bean by a basketball, some really bad dunk attempts that you could see in America's Funniest Home Videos. SCORE: 8

Other Moral Issues
This film is about how practice and training makes anyone a better player, but it doesn't show how that practice pays off.
And this film also sends the really bad message to girls: if you want a boy to notice you, you have to be the most beautiful girl in the entire school (not just the class, or the room, or the grade level). You have to have the perfect hair, make-up, clothing and figure. If you don't, the boys will ignore you. SCORE: 3

Final Score (out of 60): 35 % Score: 58.33%
It could've been a great basketball film, but the romantic subplot ruins it.