63% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Tideland Reviews

June 12, 2014
Unwatchable, unbearable, and unlovable. Tideland is every kind of "un"-prefixed word you can think of. Even amidst the pointlessly intentioned but well-conceived cinematography, Gilliam does little to entice us with his self-indulged work, leaving his presentation of the darkness of Jeliza's pschye (or the minds of children in general) to simply be a macabre bore.
April 21, 2014
Directionless and boring. Avoid at all costs.
February 15, 2014
Disturbingly adorable, adorably disturbing. Crazy. Loved it
December 28, 2013
Through the eyes of a child.
December 31, 2013
Terry Gilliam isn't going to please everyone with this raw & dry tale of a little girl inventing stories to escape a reality so horrible it would traumatized any child for the rest of their days. Jeff Bridges gives a strong performance so is new comer Jodelle Ferland, absolutely fantastic child actress.
jalind1
October 14, 2013
This film *REQUIRES* viewing it through the eyes of a prepubescent child! The German released Blu-ray and I believe the DVD both have a short video Foreword by Gilliam that, in part, explains and requests this. The story is told primarily through the eyes of a 9-year old, even if it's not often from a "first person" point of view. It also requires being able to appreciate the capacity for prepubescent children to have and exercise extensive imagination without losing ability to discern the difference between fantasy and reality, or losing their sanity. Failing to do this results in missing the inherent innocence of various scenes as Jeliza-Rose copes with the extremely bleak and sometimes gruesome world around her. There are clues throughout, albeit sometimes subtle, that she never does lose sight of what's fact and fiction, or what's real and fantasy. She does chose to ignore fact and reality until she has a means of coping with it. At times she creates a very logically rational interpretation of what she observes, albeit an incorrect one as she simply doesn't have the necessary knowledge or experience to truly "know" what she sees. In summary, she's never over the edge like the mentally retarded "boy," Dickens, that she befriends, who is mentally incapable of (completely) discerning the difference between fantasy and reality.

It's not as strong as some of Gilliam's other films, but it's not his weakest either. It's also not superficial entertainment. Perhaps that combined with inability or unwillingness to see it with the mind of a child is what makes the film so troublesome to many. A number of scenes are easily repulsive to an adult, but quite credible and very acceptable through the eyes of a 9-year old, without any mental trauma. Those who had a significant portion of their childhood play time left unstructured or at worst semi-structured, requiring the use of imagination to create, self organize and carry out activities, will more easily comprehend and appreciate Jeliza-Rose's imagination and how she uses it. Those who had crippled childhoods that were structured 24/7 by adults armed with endless rules and procedures about what to do, how to do it and when to do it, even in play by themselves or with others, won't likely have a clue about what's going on in this film. I pity them as they never had a *real* childhood.

Four stars for creating a film with insight about the capacity of childhood imagination and the resilience of children when surrounded by bleakness, tragedy and gruesomeness.
Mina E.
September 22, 2013
Sometimes disturbing and interesting, but most of the time nonsense and silly.
July 13, 2013
Honest, unflinching and worthy of reappraisal.
zmason451googlemailc
July 11, 2013
This film needs some trigger-warnings. Creepy shit. Warped minds will love it.
March 8, 2010
Boring and soulless junk that will appeal to the hipster crowd, but for anyone looking to be entertained, look elsewhere.
May 22, 2013
This movie moved, repulsed and disturbed me. As I watched I found myself cringe, recoil in horror, dread for Jeliza Roses's fate and saddened by all the pain, misery and confusion that that child was exposed to, with no one to care for her but egotistical adults and deranged madmen. In an emotional level I responded tremendously to the movie and although a good deal of these responses were less than agreeable, the fact that this film produced such stimuli in my person proves that it has heart to spare- a mean, bashing, horrific,depressing and sad heart it may be but a heart nonetheless. I can only suggest this film to brave movie buffs who are willing to subject themselves to the one of the most bizarre, terrifying and moving experiences of their life. My congratulations to Gilliam for directing yet another brave and stimulating film... even if it may very well become yet another obstacle in Gilliam's already endangered film career.
March 29, 2013
Rather strange, trying to be a fairy tale style story but not entirely getting there - still too much contact with dirty reality and a very unclear ending. It was recommended based on me liking Pan's Labyrinth, bu is really 5 steps behind it. Jodelle Ferland was not able to carry this film (largely) on her own. Neverhteless not a bad film - just not entirely what I expected.
May 1, 2013
It's kind of disturbing but not bad.
December 13, 2007
Terry Gilliam är ett missförstått geni, tillika auteur. Tragisk, vacker och helt galen -detta är en helt underbar film som både lyckas provocera och beröra. Jag förstår hur dem som hatar filmen tänker, men de hatar den utifrån sin utav samhället pådyvlade politiska korrekthet, intolerans och sin rädsla för att förknippas med kontroversiella ting. Detta är en otroligt viktig film att se och att diskutera!
March 24, 2013
Typical Gilliam film. You have to watch no matter how uncomfortable it makes you. Watching Jeliza-Rose sort out her daddy's heroin and take care of him as he shoots up is painful knowing that this could be happening today. (Midway through watching I got a phone call from Childline asking for a donation).
March 5, 2013
The story of young Jeliza-Rose living in her own fantasy world after the death of her drug addict parents. Terry Gilliam again manages to create another wonderland in this movie, but unlike 'Brazil' and 'Twelve Monkeys' this story is going nowhere in particular. The best parts are when Jeliza-Rose talks to the doll' s head on her finger called Mustique...
June 28, 2007
One of the weirdest things outside of a David Lynch film that I have ever seen in my life. And I stress "weird". Words cannot describe this film. You just have to see it. It's a challenge. You will either love it, hate it, or you'll be left somewhere in between. However, it is something different, something like you've never seen before in your life, and worthy of at least one viewing. Most critics were not fond of this one. It's sort of easy to see why, but I found it strangely compelling, aside from the fact that many scenes are very, very disturbing. Terry Gilliam throws EVERYTHING at the screen. ***Just watched it again recently, and I have to say, I liked it better the second time. It's one you have to reflect on after it has ended. I have to add this to my list of strange favorites. ONLY FOR THE BRAVE!
Kes
February 2, 2013
This movie is darkly gorgeous; in the book the events are seen from Jeliza Rose's point of view so are seen through innocent eyes which you can't really get in a film as you just see what's literally happening. She doesn't see her parents being drugged as odd because she's never known any different and makes bits of her own reality to improve what's around her. I thought Ferland's portrayal of Jeliza Rose was excellent!
sgreen50
March 26, 2009
Sick and imaginative. I watch movies to forget about these sorts of sordid realities, yet the film was too compelling not to watch,. A change of pace for Gilliam. The house looked suspiciously similar to the set of The Messengers.