Tideland Reviews

April 23, 2015
An apocalyptic chaos world seen through a little girl eyes. Jodelle Ferland is doing an amazing job, in this wicked surreal mobid tale of human wasteland. Its a abstract movie that make you wanna puke and awake your senses to the dread of the world, the things you cannot understand. Illogical as a child's thoughts.
½ April 11, 2015
I don't know. Perhaps this makes me a bit sick and twisted, but I love this unique film about the power of imagination and innocence that saves/allows a child to survive an unfathomable childhood. This movie offends many people. Granted, Gilliam is an excessive story teller who is not afraid to ignore boundaries of "good taste" -- but this film strikes a chord for me. I love it.
April 4, 2015
a bit of a different approach from Gilliam who here creates a visceral & intently visual, uncompromising & intense experience without his usual props and more with what the camera can take in and what the actors can exude. Enjoyed janet mcteers witch like thespianism
May 22, 2012
This is, of course, not a film for everybody. Gilliam not only admits that, he embraces in an introduction to the film. Many will hate this (apparently the bulk of professional critics), many will love it, and some what know what to make of it (these are Gilliam's own words). And he is right. I don't know what to make of it. I liked what he was doing, how it didn't hold back despite the character being just a little girl (who does a great job by the way), and I liked the whole visual experience of it all, even if it does become a tad too gruesome as the film carries on. I don't think it was Gilliam's best work, but I don't think he could've done a better job with this crazy material. This is dark stuff, So be warned.
½ March 1, 2015
I felt like I needed therapy after watching this film.
February 19, 2015
I love surreal and magic realism films but this just made my head hurt literally.
February 10, 2015
Many won't like it, but I admire the film for taking its dark subject matter in strangely surreal, disturbing, and surprisingly touching places
January 15, 2015
Wondrous and Gothic. Evokes the desolate tones of an Andrew Wyeth painting.
½ November 24, 2014
"Tideland" never finds its footing but delivers enough end-of-the-world delights and twisted characters and visuals to make for a good watch, especially if one is a Gilliam fan or just stoned.
November 6, 2014
Delirious and Oniric. the movie after a while lose control and flies deranged all around a children (dark) dream and visions. Good characters with an excessive sometime exasperated way to express the need to survive reality. A sort of hallucinated "Pan's labyrinth". I expected much better from Gilliam
November 6, 2014
½ October 27, 2014
A mixture of "Alice in Wonderland" (naturally), "Days of Heaven", "Gilbert Grape" and "MirrorMask" for me. Weird and very pretty. The imagery is stunning, the filming is so smooth and the effects are very nice. A treat for the eye and a bender for the mind. It's a trip, it's an experience.
It's pretty nasty too, almost scary at times - at least spooky and gritty.

The little girl does great and the rest of the cast is also doing their jobs well. Sadly this is about it. It got problems when it comes to interest me - I mostly just sit back and watch, without caring too much. I don't know why this is, but it surely is. Maybe it turns a bit much into the girl's games, I surely missed some more screentime for Jeff Bridges after a while. I tent to love both visual and bizarre films.

"Tideland" is a bit of both worlds, but the result is not so great as it could have been. I got very mixed feelings about this film, so in one way I want to give it a solid 8, but I also want to give it a 4.

7 out of 10 doll heads.
September 10, 2014
One of the worst films I ever saw. Deeply disturbing with no discernible rhyme or reason. 'Disturbing' can, of course, be used to tell a compelling story or to make some deep point (as evidenced by Terry Gilliam's other works), but here, it isn't at all - its just pointlessly uncomfortable.
September 7, 2014
On many levels this is a sort of cinematic error, but on other levels it is sheer cinematic genius and completely unique. Most likely far too dark for most viewers, Terry Gilliam takes his audience to places seldom ventured. At times I am not sure that is a good thing -- but I could not look away. A devastating depiction of absolute horror seen through the eyes of an imaginative and intelligent child who utilizes every aspect of her imagination and intelligence to survive and make the horrors something she can get through. Uncomfortable because this message is distorted by the fact that Gilliam is a truly unique thinker who is far more interested in a child's coping skills than what the child must cope with and how it will or is affecting her psyche. Watch at your own risk. Janet McTeer is amazing in this film!
½ August 18, 2014
What the!?! I usually love Gilliam's mind, but nothing seems to click in this film - I'm not even sure how to categorize it: horror, drama, fantasy, weird/creepy? The 12-year-old girl (Ferland) does well, but can't really sustain the whole film on her own, since Bridges is - literally - wasted. Some very disturbing scenes - her 'special' friendship with her special friend, who's 12 years older, what happens to her dad & the train, the dolls... Not much coherent storytelling here - just a depressing jumble, unfortunately - no fun adventure down the rabbit hole here!
April 2, 2008
Looks sweet. I mean, anything Gilliam is usually worth at least one view.
June 12, 2014
Unwatchable, unbearable, and unlovable. Tideland is every kind of "un"-prefixed word you can think of. Even amidst the pointlessly intentioned but well-conceived cinematography, Gilliam does little to entice us with his self-indulged work, leaving his presentation of the darkness of Jeliza's pschye (or the minds of children in general) to simply be a macabre bore.
½ April 21, 2014
Directionless and boring. Avoid at all costs.
February 15, 2014
Disturbingly adorable, adorably disturbing. Crazy. Loved it
½ December 28, 2013
Through the eyes of a child.