—— As Above/So Below Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie Reviews

KJ P

March 7, 2014
After watching many of their skits through the years, I was very anticipated to see "Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie," but I must say, that even though I had a blast watching this movie, it is nothing compared to the hilarity of their show. This film gives them an actual plot which takes you out a bit, because their shows has all been about randomness. To be honest, I do not even think a feature film was necessary, but it was inevitable I guess. The writing in this film almost seem absent at times, which is fine, because that is pretty much what their show is, but the jokes are very hit and miss. Since everything in this film was intentional, I will give them major props in pulling it all off. I am not a huge fan of this film, but I really enjoy these guys!
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

January 18, 2013
Cult TV comedians Tim & Eric are given a billion dollars to try to make a movie, squander it on hairdos and personal assistants, then try to make up the balance for their vicious corporate backers by rehabilitating an abandoned shopping mall overrun by wolves. Tim & Eric's awkward brand of meta-humor is often fascinating, but the mean-spirited grossout jokes clash with and ultimately overwhelm the clever avant-garde jokes, making the movie something of a missed opportunity for the absurdist comedy cause. John Waters would approve, however.
Sam B

June 10, 2012
Tries too hard to be a movie, and forgets to do exactly what makes the show so great - forgoing conventional structure of any kind. As a result, Billion Dollar Movie is incredibly unfunny and woefully boring.
Spencer S

February 1, 2012
The list of adjectives that this film inspires is long: immature, stupid, dumb, juvenile, spastic, revolting, incongruous, nihilistic, garbage...but in a good way. Tim and Eric step out of the shadow of their tremendously nerdy and semi-popular show on Adult Swim. With a thoughtless script and a moorless decision to forgo their usual style, the film is a bland imitation of lesser comedies. Most of this instead hinges on our two protagonists, Tim and Eric. Both are interesting, creepy heroes, with their own seamless comedy, but they couldn't hold the massive responsibility of what this film requires. It's in the same vein as the adapted Reno 911! film, but with much more freedom now that they are away from television. Most of the hideous plot is nicely covered by a set of out of this world hilarious celebrity cameos from such greats as Zach Galifanakis as a fake guru, Will Ferrell as a crazed mall owner, and John C. Reilly as a gimpy invalid janitor who becomes the twosome's best friend and guinea pig. What I can say about it, in a positive way, is that it's surprising in places, and all for the right reasons. Certain important people die, cameos seem to be cut shorter than need be, love interests are far less clichà (C)d, even for the dumb comedy genre that this falls into, and it works well most of the time. Though it wasn't all too funny, not too interesting or smart, it did have its moments, its cavalcade of cameos and some strong jokes here and there, mostly cemented between gross out gags and mindless idiocy. It's best to watch their show beforehand, or Check It Out!, which is another one of their shows with John C. Reilly, which is their best work. (I think anyway.) Good for a mindless hour and a half at best.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

June 21, 2012
"Shrim. Sounds like 'shrimp'."

Two guys get a billion dollars to make a movie, only to watch their dream run off course. In order to make the money back, they then attempt to revitalize a failing shopping mall.

REVIEW
Posing as their own fashion/media-victim alter egos, Tim and Eric go on the run from Robert Loggia's corporate mogul-cum-mob-boss after squandering a billion dollars on a two minute film wherein a Johnny Depp lookalike parades around in a diamond suit before seducing an Angelina Jolie-alike waitress. This short is in itself a nod to the big-budget wedding/engagement films many blue chip movers and shakers commission for their families or themselves, movies Tim and Eric have seen and found excruciatingly funny. The subsequent plot - Tim and Eric hiding from Loggia as they take over management of a run down shopping mall - contains laughs for anyone who has gorged on a diet of straight to video Hollywood vile for the last twenty years. Perhaps this is the downside. So perfect a lampoon and straight recreation of a modern Z-class-movie is 'Billion Dollar Movie' that many have not been able to see the wood for the trees. You really do need to have a little insider knowledge of the low-end of the media business to catch some of the injokes and working in a video rental place for a decade may be a qualification to find the film truly hilarious.
Pedro H

February 1, 2012
Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie

Ridiculous, but funny

Take it for what it is, if you even want to watch this movie, you already know what your expecting: dumb, R-rated, comedy, and that my friends is what this movie contains.

Tim and Eric are failed film makers, and in order to get one billion dollars to pay back their film expenses they decided to take over a hobo-town shopping center.

There isn't much in this movie either than laughs. The acting is funny, the script is funny, everything is funny about this movie. There are some awesome cameos that include Will Ferrell and John C. Reily.

Although it manages to make you laugh, this movie is at the same time, stupid, disgusting, and dumb. However, I knew that before I saw it, so if your are paying the money to go see this, I am hoping you know what to expect. So watch it if you are searching for some mega-dumb-epic-cheap-billion dollar movie.

Eric: Shrim, that sounds like Shrimp
Dr114
Dr114

January 27, 2012
Let me start by saying I like Tim and Eric. They have their own style of bizarre humor and I enjoy the things they create. But, they're not for everyone... which makes me like them more because they don't care what people think of them, they're going to keep creating their art (Yes I said art). That all being said, this movie is not for everyone. This film has the shocks and may gross you out. Gross out humor isn't my favorite but I still enjoyed these parts. I loved 75% of this movie and the last 25% was okay, (I know that sounds weird but just go with it.) The cameos were freaking awesome and the commercials in the film were top-notch Tim and Eric. So overall, if you like different kinds of humor and/or you like Tim and Eric, watch this movie. If you don't... well then don't watch it. It was a very funny goof and a spoof.
Dann M

September 30, 2012
Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim bring their unique style of sketch comedy to the big-screen in Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie. And, Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly, and Zach Galifianakis all stop by to make cameos. The story follows Tim and Eric as they try to make a billion dollars renovating a broken-down mall in order to repay a movie studio after their first film flops. Unfortunately, the comedy is real hit-and-miss, and sets new levels of raunchiness. Though some of characters are quite colorful and fun, they overstay their welcome. There are some incredibly hilarious moments in this film, but Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie doesn't have the talent or the material to sustain a 90 min. film.
Ryan M
Ryan M

January 28, 2012
* out of ****

There isn't a more proper way to begin my review of "Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie" than to express me unending admiration for the comic duo behind it. Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim are gifted in the field of delivering random, awkward, inappropriate situations to use as comedic material; and I like their Adult Swim original series, "Tim and Eric's Awesome Show: Great Job". The show itself is nothing more than brainless - but engaging - escapism for all those who are open-minded. The trouble with the movie is that it's brainless, but it can neither be called engaging or "escapism". To be escapism, I'd think some effort would have to have been put into the movie being mentioned; and in this case, little is offered up.

I can already tell that this isn't going to be an easy write-up, so bear with me. I'm currently filled with an impeccable rage. I was looking forward to this movie from the moment that it was first announced, and so were the die-hard fans of the original show. I knew what to expect, I knew what I wanted to see; and frankly, that wasn't much. Just a lot of hilarious, random facial expressions and plenty of sufficient laughs brought on by the over-the-top absurdity that these two men so flawlessly tend to employ. Well, I got the facial expressions and some of the randomness; but you know what, I'm just going to come out and say it: this isn't funny.

And yet, it tries so very hard to be. Consider the main plot, for example: Tim and Eric play themselves, having been given a billion dollars to produce their own feature film, only to screen the finished product (which ran for about 3 disappointing, underwhelming minutes) to their employers; ultimately met with his primal disapproval of the ways in which they spent all that money. In fear, the boys flee town and settle down somewhere in a run-down, wolf-infested mall; which they attempt to bring back to both attention and life in order to be given the option of coughing up the billion dollars that they owe the studio and save some lives - including theirs - in the process.

There isn't much more to it. Tim heartlessly steals a janitor's young son (this is supposedly played out for laughs; there were none), the mall-bound canines attack pizza-donning decoys, and Eric finds himself a lady. Some of the plot elements are just so utterly ridiculous that they do indeed inspire some brief chuckles; although some are rather, should I say, cringe inducing. And that's just saying the least.

I expect nothing more, or less, than all-out irreverence from the comedy duo of Tim and Eric; but their movie goes to extremes in an attempt to make us laugh. Sometimes, it was just too twisted for my taste; and that's coming from someone who self-admittedly has a very dark sense of humor. When Eric decides to pierce his penis; I knew the film had crossed a line, and it was one that had yet to be drawn. If that doesn't tell you something, then I don't know what will; perhaps the disgusting sex scene between Tim and Eric's love interest will do the trick.

"Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie" is hopeless; a film lost in the creative freedom of its makers, and the excesses that it so joyously revels in. This is a movie so pointless, plot-less, and brainless that at moments; it becomes nearly unwatchable. I liked the cameos (Jeff Goldblum's was hilarious), I liked the cheesy effects that were brought over from the show to the movie, and of course, I liked the moments that actually felt the slightest bit like they were ripped from the collective minds of Tim and Eric; but I hated everything else. And I'm not exaggerating; I really despised just about every moment that was spent watching this film. I imagine that some of the show's avid fans will find something to enjoy here, and thus the cult of Tim and Eric will live on; but I'm betting on the possibility that those unassociated with Tim and Eric will be easily repelled, just like I was. And as I said; I like Tim and Eric when they have their sights set on smaller, more accessible (but still irreverent) things, but if their debut into the world of film tells me anything, it tells me to pray to the cinematic God that it's their last.
Jarryd R

January 14, 2013
I love you Tim and Eric, you are brilliant comedians and do amazing live shows. Your "Awesome Show. Great Job!" is amazingly fresh and original. But this movie guys....its simply hard to watch or enjoy unless you are on LSD. Stick to the live stuff and Adult Swim please.
Christopher H

August 13, 2012
Tim and Eric take their underground humor to the next level, with a comedy that can only be described as a close cousin to the South Park creator's film Baseketball, yet not nearly as mainstream and accessible. I appreciate where these two dead-pan comedians take their humor, but it fails to impress in the long run.
Francisco  G.
Francisco G.

May 10, 2012
I don't even know where to start.... I've always admired the humour Tim and Eric created, the verge between awkward, unconfortable and downright stupid was amazingly well ballance on Tim and Eric's Awesome Show. I burst into tears still with some of the sketches and completly random people they put onto their sketches.

A full-length movie of this sounded like a brilliant idea. I was imagining a new Life of Brian coming on. And just what the hell were they thinking? This is NOTHING! This is not funny. There's no need for a penis being pierced in full detail to be funny, right? Nor a shit bath, right? Is this Tim and Eric? I don't think so. The respect I had for them is pretty much gone, if they need constraint on television to work, censorship and are not smart enough to understand their limits, than they're shit comedians and this just proves it.

I didn't even finnished watching the whole thing on how unfunny and poorly executed this crap is.
Seriously, if the best you can think of on having Robert Loggia in your flick is to out of 5 words, 6 of them are swear, then get the fuck out of the business. Or having John C. Reilly on a role that IS NOT Steve Brule?!?!?! REALLY?!?!

The only positive thing I saw in this was Jeff Goldblum cameo. Thought the movie was gonna rock when that happened.

I never felt so embarassed in my life for someone, probably except that time I tried to understand the "motivation" behind those Neaderthals on an episode of Jersey's Shore I tried to watch.
March 31, 2013
Some of the sketches on their show are funny, but this movie is terrible. My advice for Tim & Eric would be to steer away from most of the gross-out and shock value stuff and stick to surreally satirizing public access tv, local commercials, and instructional videos.
September 9, 2012
DON'T DON'T DON'T see this movie. Don't even waste your time. Will you laugh once or twice? Maybe, but the repercussions and brain damage you'll receive from viewing it will far outweigh what you may get from the few, dwindling, funny moments. It really goes to show that having funny celebrity friends that will give you some good cameos in your movie won't help you polish your turd. One scene in particular tries so hard to be funny that it ends up being maybe the grossest scene I've ever seen in a feature film in my life. I'll go ahead and spoil it for you (as it still scars my brain) - 6 or 8 little boys ceremoniously crap in a bath tub while one of the stars of the movie sits and takes the turd bath. Awful. This movie is awful.
September 7, 2012
I'm new on the Tim and Eric bandwagon, but while 80% of the show is pure platinum gold funny, the movie is closer to 50% (hence the 2.5 out of 5 score). The issue is the format. The show relies on the humor of the late-80s/early-90s kitsch culture aesthetic which drives home a lot of the humor. Here, almost everything has the polish of a film, and the really weird stuff that everyone does misses the mark. Sometimes by a little, sometimes by a lot. Plus, I think the R rating, and the more graphic possibilities that that opened, enticed the guys to be a bit more obvious (the penis piercing scene especially).
July 17, 2012
Funny, though not as good as the television show. Still worth it for fans to see but definitely not a movie for everyone.
June 24, 2012
As a HUGE fan of their show, Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!, this movie is fairly disappointing, in fact, it's pretty bad. It's just not funny or surreal enough here and stretched out to an hour and a half, it gets pretty bland at times. The best laughs are at the beginning where you find out about how the duo blew the million dollars and the Schlaaang movie chair, but after that it goes downhill and never recovers aside from a few scattered funny moments.
thepersonwhowatchesmovies
June 13, 2012
To those who are unfamiliar, or actively dislike the comedic style of duo Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim, it may be the best course of action to immediately stop reading this review. Unless you are a fan of their equally bizarre and unique sense of humor, and as result willing to accept a severe lack in narrative structure, it can be safely assumed you will find the film to be abysmal cinematic garbage. Plainly put; for those not amused by bizarre humor, this film will feel like karmic punishment for a crime you don't remember committing. Many will seek this film due to promised cameos by the likes of Will Farrell and John C. Reilly, but will quickly realize their involvement in the film is minimal, with screen-time lasting under ten minutes. Let it be known immediately that I am not one of those people. A newly converted fan of their Adult Swim TV show Tim and Eric Awesome Show: Great Job, I was mainly interested in Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie to see the comedic stylings of these two gonzo comedians unfiltered and brought to the big screen (or at least VOD) without the mandatory limitations of broadcasted television. While I was essentially granted this request, it quickly became apparent that no matter what conditions there might be, you can always have too much of a good thing.

Starring Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim as buffoonish versions of themselves, after squandering the one billion dollars given to them by the nefarious Schlang corporation, Tim and Eric resolve that the only way to pay their debt is to manage a dilapidated mall more desolate than the shopping center from Dawn of the Dead. Is there any more plot? Yes, but plot couldn't possibly be less important when regarding this film. Characters are either static or included for cameo purposes entirely, setting is used only as an excuse for dark comedy, and any conflict is executed too intentionally ridiculous to be even the slightest bit compelling. Tim and Eric have developed an unrelenting surreal comedy machine with their film: jokes are the only goal, and nothing is included unless it services the jokes. However, without any true plot, how can any comedy film sustain a runtime of 93 minutes and remain, if nothing else, fairly entertaining? The unfortunate sad answer to this question is, it can't.

Despite multiple hilarious scenes, the film inevitably runs out of steam around the hour mark, and never fully recovers. The odd jokes are still there, but because of the rapid rate necessarily of them to allow this film to function, you are completely overwhelmed, and the humor slowly fades away in a subtle decrescendo. Tim and Eric previously orchestrated two TV shows named Tom Goes to the Mayor and the previously mentioned Tim and Eric Awesome Show: Great Job, which both used runtimes of 15 minutes so that the comedy never became stale or tiresome. While admittedly there're still some truly hilarious moments to be found, perhaps this comedic duo should continue in this shorter television format until they can develop a "real" plot to assist their unique humor in its leap to the silver screen.

Grade: C
May 22, 2012
(I've never watched an entire episode of Tim * Eric Awesome Show Great Job, just so ya know). As a film, this doesn't really work. As a comedy bit, it's pretty consistently hilarious. Fans of the show should love it. Non fans will smile a lot and likely laugh quite a bit.