96% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Time Masters (Les Maîtres du temps) Reviews

July 8, 2014
this was a film that shaped my idea of scifi when i was younger it is something that has never left me.
this is a film about a journey to save a child called Peal and on the way the crew get involved in many different adventures. the only way they can speak to him is through a communication devise they call mick.
i know you can get this film in both English and french
ToDandy
February 27, 2014
featuring a meandering plot that lacks in any sort of direction, Time Masters is one dull space opera.
February 20, 2013
Easily the worst of Laloux's films. Not as visually impressive at the others and completely incomprehensible.
Vacationer UK
December 29, 2012
First time I saw this cartoon when I was a kid around 6 years old. Second time after around 30 years. Usually old movies is quite silly or funny (again, in a silly way) when you re-watching them after couple decades, but this one still strong one
April 30, 2012
Another bizarre French sci-fi film by René Laloux. It's similar to Fantastic Planet, but not nearly as interesting. I watched it mainly because Moebius worked on it, and you can definitely see his influence. The animation is really dated though, and in many places reminded me of 80's Saturday morning cartoons from Filmation. The characters were really imaginative though, and definitely were the highlight of the film... especially the two mind-reading shape-shifting dwarves Yula and Jad.
April 13, 2012
The intensely grim background to a dozen childhood summer holidays of my youth. Time Masters is an English dub of a French animation that got played on the BBC often during the 80's. The plot centers around an orphaned boy lost on a remote planet with an egg like communicator, which he uses to speaks to crew of a spaceship now on a mission to rescue him from large hornet like creatures. Aboard the ship is Jaffar the pilot, an old man, a prince and princess, 2 emotion sensitive aliens. Annoyingly the English dub has never been released on DVD, which was done by the BBC as part of the joint venture.
Helge B.
August 26, 2010
A very nice animated feature, very timely in its aesthetics, but handsome nevertheless. It is obviously a brainchild of the eco-movement of its time, but implies a good load of philosophical and political motifs which seem just as relevant today (e.g. the nature of Totalitarianism, conformity, innocence and greed). Pretty daring stuff for children in respect of its topics, which are woven into certain haunting scenes involving horrendous alien life forms, but having such mature themes find their resonance on a rather subconscious level lends Time Masters a superior educational value compared to most Disney flicks. That's probably why it clinged to me when I saw it almost twenty years ago. Give it a try if you should ever stumble over it.
ron g.
August 26, 2010
yes it s old and the animation is outdated and it s really short but if you can realize that you r watching a 30 yrs old movie and ignore those things mentioned above you ll love it.
March 9, 2010
I saw the BBC's English dubbed version in 1987 when I was 8 and it took me 15 years to track down. Time Masters is a bizarre story about a rescue mission to save a little boy who has been stranded on an alien planet in a cave of glowing trees populated by animals that resemble a cross between a polar bear and a Star Wars robot. And it has metamorphosising baby robots that can smell people's thoughts. The dialog seemed to be aimed at adults which felt at odds with animation that seemed to be aimed at a child audience.

I was interested to see it again after all these years but I can't imagine this movie would hold much appeal for the average moviegoer other than for nostalgic reasons.
lesleyanorton
lesleyanorton

September 5, 2009
Fantastic Planet lite. Very watchable, but not can't-tear-my-eyes-away-for-fear-I-miss-something watchable.
July 6, 2008
From the acclaimed director of FANTASTIC PLANET (a film that I have to admit I'm not that fond of) and French comic book genius Moebius.

This is a beautifully illustrated and highly absorbing film which leads to an emotionally affecting twist at the end. Occasionally it is a little slow and some of the animation is a bit clunky. Nevertheless, this is a superb piece of film-making that succeeds where many of it's peers fail for example HEAVY METAL and the majority of Ralph Bakshi's works.

A must for all Moebius fans.
The M

May 4, 2008
Not as good as Rene Laloux's Fantastic Planet, but still entertaining.
August 15, 2007
To begin with, it was even better than I thought it would be, but I frankly got rather bored by the second half. 'La Planète sauvage' made me wonder "how can one person have so much imagination"? 'Les Maîtres' is no less imaginative, but purely through being my second Laloux film, all these fantastic alien landscapes are starting to look more and more the same. It's also bit more actual sci-fi and less silly space fantasy - like 'Urusei Yatsura', for example - than I was expecting it to be, and actual sci-fi makes my head hurt. :( Still an impressive and enjoyable experience (mostly because of its rare ability to be both a rather good film and an amusingly bad one all in one) but not quite to my personal taste.
grahamsimpson888
April 5, 2007
As with Castle in the Sky, I saw this in the late 1980s and it took me more than a decade to find it. The animation is poor by todays standards but Moebius's images are breathtaking and the story by Stefan Wuhl is incredible