• Timecop

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Timecop Reviews

Phil H

September 4, 2007
I didnt like this, its well done and looks OK but it lacks any kind of punch. Its pretty dull I thought, and like most other time travel flicks the story is predictable and the effects weren't that good even then, they now look really dated. There are some nice touches, like the soldier getting frozen and losing half his body and the odd good bit of fighting from JCVD but overall its really average.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 25, 2007
good van damme flick
The Gandiman
The Gandiman

July 12, 2010
Underthought and unoriginal but not unwatchable.
Conner R

May 29, 2010
Out of all Jean-Claude's solo movies, this is probably the best and most interesting. The time traveling aspect is really well done and in many ways logical, as is the need for a regulating task force. While it can get a little confusing at times for absolutely no reason, the main goal was to present a cool action with Jean-Claude kicking people all over the place.
Cassandra M

September 30, 2009
'Timecop' is one of Van Damme's most popular and most profitable films, it tells the story of a lonely man whose wife had been murdered in a bizarre set of circumstances, and his new job as a cop who travels through time to prevent criminals who go into the past to make certain changes that will help them financially, as well as politically.

To be fair, I don't really see why this is his best film, I mean, in my opinion, 'Universal Soldier' is Van Damme's best. Maybe it's because this film has as much action as it has drama, maybe it's because the story was a little more coherent than his other films, maybe the supporting cast was better, maybe the script was better, maybe the film's overall tone matched what the public wanted, I have absolutely no idea but it certainly isn't his best in my opinion. Personally, I thought 'Street Fighter' was better, but maybe that's because I like the idea of it not really being taken as a serious film, more of a campy, b-movie romp around a video game. I think maybe that's the problem with this film, it takes itself far too seriously. I'm at ends with this film because I'm not really that sure what to make of this film. A lot of people, Van Damme fans, say this is his best film, and I ask them why and they often change the subject by asking a question, (ie. What do you mean?). I really cannot see why this is his best. The film was very, very profitable and it was rated quite highly by other people, but I just don't see why. If I were to sit down and watch a bunch of Van Damme movies, they would be - 'Bloodsport', 'Kickboxer', 'A.W.O.L/Lionheart', 'Double Impact, 'Universal Solider', 'Nowhere to Run', 'Street Fighter', and 'Sudden Death', and in that order as well, like a chronology, but out of all of them, I still wouldn't choose 'Timecop'.

This film is good in two respects - 1. The storyline is quite good and it fits together quite well, despite being slightly all over the place in terms of 'who was where, and when?', but I have to remind myself that this is a 'time-travel' film and the story criss-crosses all over the place on purpose. 2. The acting is actually good, and that is definitely something which has picked up in Van Damme films as time has gone on (save 'Street Fighter'). These two factors might be the reason why people like it so much, but I don't think these two things compensate for the overall lacking in filmic qualities, but what do I know? I think 'Kickboxer' is great.
Jason O

August 15, 2009
A lot of the Jean-Claude Van Damme movies are mostly based on fighting and don't have much of a plot to them, at least that's what the critics say. But "Timecop" is a major exception. Van Damme stars as a time-traveling cop who is out to stop a mad politician (Ron Silver) who is trying to change the past in order to further his ambitions as becoming the next president. Agent Walker (Jean-Claude Van Damme) has to try and stop the madman while also trying to turn back time and save his wife, (Mia Sara), who is pregnant.
During the whole movie, you'll see that "Timecop" has a great plot and a compelling story. When you see certain parts of the movie such as when a man's arm gets frozen and Van Damme kicks it off, and when you see the futuristic cars and how Agent Walker does the time travel, you'll see that "Timecop" also has good special effects. The acting is also good by everybody to make this a great overall movie. If you like good action movies, I recommend getting "Timecop." NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. Most critics have always cited "Timecop" as the best Van Damme movie ever. It's not my favorite of his, but it's one of them, certainly no disappointment in any way.
Dean !

December 31, 2006
One of Jean-Claude Van Damme's better films with some cool fights and half decent story about policing time travel.
Jason S

August 1, 2008
This is a pretty good action flick that is pretty simple in the story but I dug it. I didn't really get how the time travel device worked though. They got in a vehicle and were launched into some sort of wormhole and appeared in the future or past walking out of the wormhole without the vehicle. Then they would hit a switch on a device they carried and open up the wormhole again and walk though. Back at the base they would come back in the vehicle. I know you have to give a little liberty to something like time travel but that doesn't make much sense to me.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

March 2, 2008
In my opinion, the most original of Van Damme's collection.
Lafe F

June 23, 2007
Standard Jean-Claude Van Damme action flick with a sci-fi twist to make it unique. Nothing great, but I enjoyed the diversion.
garyX
garyX

December 30, 2006
A strong premise nearly scuppered by it's weak cast. JCVD just cannot act, and without an excuse to get bare-chested and thai kick-box people to death he's a waste of space.
deano
deano

October 8, 2006
Jean-Claude Van Damme does a good job in this sci-fi thriller movie that mixes hard-hitting action with awesome special effects, romance and murder.
kpn666
kpn666

June 29, 2006
Intrresting... but not as good as IT could have been. the sci-fi is kinda off.
Todd S

May 29, 2007
It's a rare occurrence, but once in a while, a film is made that is way ahead of it's time, too far ahead of it's time, and Timecop is one of those films. Had it been made in the error of CGI, this film would have been so much better. The story is strong, a lot stronger than the performances, and the use of some crazy special effects would have taken it over the top, but those weren't available in 1994. The result is a slightly above average film, with a really cool plot, and not much else. The story follows Max Walker (Jean-Claude Van Damme) whose job is to stop people from using illegal time travel technology, in order to change the past. Changing the past can drastically change the present, and is often abused by criminals trying to get wealth and power. One of those men is U.S. Senator McComb (Ron Silver), who has his eye on the Presidency. Walker must go back in time to stop McComb and expose him, before he can reshape the country in his own image. I love time oriented Science Fiction, as the story can take you on a magical trip all throughout history, like nothing else can. In this film, they didn't travel as much as they should have, and the technology and effects behind time travel were so basic, that it's hard to buy that this could ever work. Jean-Claude Van Damme stars and we all know that I see him as one of these brawn over brains guys, that only get work because of their looks and their fancy movies. Van Damme wasn't bad, but this is a film that had real potential, and simply using an average star, contributes to the overall sentiment of the film. Timecop is a great story, and in my opinion is something that could really work if it is re-made properly. It's not because the film is bad, it's just not a good as it should have been. If you're a Sci-Fi fan, I definitely recommend it, but if it's not your favorite genre, you might want to skip this one.
Sean G

August 20, 2010
Gimme Bloodsport or Kickboxer.
Marion R

November 14, 2008
It had some pretty cool scenes I though it was fun.
Patrick D

November 22, 2007
Jean Claude Van Damme was the absolute shit when I was a kid, this is his best film...EVER.
Lee K

March 3, 2008
one of the last things i remmber seeing van damme in
iLeo
iLeo

December 10, 2007
In the year of 1994, I was entirely obsessed with Van Damme. *LOL*

This was one of the films that I would constantly watch, along with UNIVERSAL SOLDIER. Heheheh