Tin Cup - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tin Cup Reviews

March 22, 2012
With a backdrop of light country music tunes and open dusty reaches Costner plays a cheery good ol'boy taking a shot at the big time. Can he make it? And what about the woman of his long time nemesis: will she see through to appreciate his latent awshucks charm? Predictable, yes, but not boringly, the antics of this Rocky of the fairways.
September 14, 2009
One of the better golf films ever, and Costner's third best sports film.
½ June 14, 2007
Just a usual sports movie about sports, in this movie told about golf, nothing special in it. Kevin Costner and Rene Russo just gave a light performance because it just a movie for entertaining, they don't need too good performances here, they just need the money... The story really standard using the formula from zero to hero, yet I watched the cut version of this movie so I didn't impress a lot, besides the fact that I'm not love golf sports... Just a movie for killing time...
March 24, 2008
Good cast. Rom com with a bit of golf thrown in.
July 30, 2007
I like the fact that he loses in the end.
November 26, 2006
I love sport in comedy films as well as this gives you clever battle-of-the-sexes banter and a handy way with a 7-iron.
November 3, 2006
Funny and sweet.
½ December 22, 2010
Some may not like it simply because it is not as outrageous as Happy Gilmore, or simply because they might not think the story works. I, however, got enough laughs out of it to give it a recommendation. The story is basic, but fun, the performance of Kevin Costner is a standout, and if you are a golfer, there are enough subtle laughs to make the film at least worth a cheap purchase or rental. Check it out
½ March 28, 2013
Annoying Kevin Costner plays golf with annoying Don Johnson to win the heart of the lovely Rene Russo. Were these her only two choices?
½ January 22, 2012
Tin Cup is smartly written, feel-good, and charming romantic comedy/sports movie, without all the usual cliches and conventions, especially with its daring and true ending. Costner brings a lot of likability to the film, as does Russo, though the chemistry isn't quite where it needs to be. The comedy is hit or miss, but certainly qualifies as amusing. As a straight-up sports movie, it actually works well, with a strong script and a sense of realism as opposed to predictable resolution that so many sports movies resort too.

3.5/5 Stars
Cameron W. Johnson
½ May 19, 2011
What's more boring than 130 minutes of Kevin Costner playing golf? 130 minutes of anyone else playing golf. Well, to be fair, golf even makes football remotely exciting. So yeah, I bet you can tell I'm no big sports fan. I mean, even their movies are slow, including this one, which also suffers from a lack of development, some improvable dialogue and some melodrama. Nevertheless, the strong characters, solid humor, fine performances and excellent ending make "Tin Cup" yet another home run for Costner's filmography. That's golf lingo, right?
½ June 3, 2010
Russo and Costner have great chemistry together but the movie is just too damn long
September 30, 2014
A sports movie directed by Ron Sheldon? The man has a hell of a pedigree in this area and in this film he manages to make golf sexy! Of course he's helped by a charming performance from Costner who works well off both Russo as his love interest and Marin as his bromance. Perhaps it's a little overlong but by the time you get to the final match you'll be cheering Costner on to make that final putt.
August 18, 2008
Great movie. Tin Cup is well written and acted, with a lot of heart.
½ December 25, 2007
July 5, 2006
If I EVER lose my mind & decide to take up golf....I would be Kevin costners character on the 18th hole for sure.
April 12, 2006
Good acting, but I'm not crazy about the movie itself.
May 10, 2012
For a golf movie that isn't Happy Gilmore, it can be alright at times, but overall the 2hr 10min running time makes it almost seem like you're watching golf on tv. Snooze.
½ May 31, 2010
A decent romantic comedy about golf. I like most of the cast and I think they worked well together. As far as romantic comedies go, I think Tin Cup has enough to appeal to everyone, but falls short of wowing anyone.