Critic Review - Florida Times-Union

Some great performances, style to spare, a sense of moody menace ... Sad to say, then, that it's virtually impenetrable, and possibly downright boring.

January 9, 2012 Full Review Source: Florida Times-Union | Comments (19)
Florida Times-Union

Comments

Kay Delbrocco

Kay Delbrocco

This was the longest 2 hours of my life; an utter bore. My book/film group attends a movie weekly at either the local theatre or the art theatre then we discuss the film afterwards. It was unanimous; a big disappointment. We loved the mood, the acting, and the tour of Europe; but good grief, the red herrings were so thick you couldn't find the plot. And we wee so looking forward to it. Oh well, there is next week.

Jan 9 - 03:27 PM

Todd Whitehouse

Todd Whitehouse

This review is dead on. Don't expect any suspense OR action outside 2 gunshots. YAWN. Well acted, nice visual "feel" to the flick but the random moves from past to present are barely noticeable and it's nearly nap-worthy.

Jan 9 - 04:07 PM

Travis Wright

Travis Wright

'Splosions!

Jan 12 - 10:34 PM

Christopher Disley

Christopher Disley

Stupid Americans :)

Jan 11 - 04:20 PM

Loki

Loki LASTNAME

Hah... 80% of Americans are pretty stupid, yes. However, that is mostly due to our media-influenced society. Nowadays, things such as sports and video games are valued much more than tangible parts of the American economy, and thus the vast majority are influenced by this, as well as other parts of the media, to the point that this is what becomes their expertise. Unfortunately, this means only about 20% of Americans are truly educated to the point that you could discuss any sort of concept with them and expect a certain level of understanding. Thus, with a movie like this, you would need the word of mouth of the American population in order to make a movie like this cool, as opposed to it being boring. Critical praise means nothing for complicated plots in American society today. I haven't even considered seeing this movie yet because I haven't heard anything about it, even though I love Gary oldman, and the movie sounds interesting to me. An example I could give is I don't think that the ordinary suspects would be a success if it was originally released right now for the same reason this movie isn't as well accepted as anticipated. It might be considered boring without the word of mouth describing it as cool. Of course, this is all speculation since I haven't seen it...

Jan 11 - 06:22 PM

Loki

Loki LASTNAME

LOL the usual* suspects. Idk why I typed ordinary

Jan 13 - 11:36 AM

doc

doc carter

True. But you're pretty stupid yourself if you believe it's just America.

But given the stupidity that comes out from across the pond, I've come to realize that they love to call Americans stupid because it's much easier to point the fingers at somewhere else. Self-realization hurts too much. Poor things.

Jan 12 - 12:40 PM

Alex Giuliani

Alex Giuliani

With a face like that you should try being nicer to people, it would help.

Jan 14 - 05:59 AM

Nick Inzalaco

Nick Inzalaco

4 different people loudly exclaimed that they didn't understand what the hell just happened, as the credits rolled. Whether they're stupid or not, making them feel that way isn't a good thing if a movie wants to make money.

Jan 13 - 07:10 AM

Loki

Loki LASTNAME

Well, the meet the spartans-esque movies make money, and that's not really a good thing. Movies shouldn't necessarily try to target everyone for their audience; mostly because that would be impossible.

Jan 13 - 11:38 AM

Katrina Herring

Katrina Herring

This review sadly is spot on. My fiance and I were very excited to see this movie. I love indie, foreign and typically longer and denser films. I also consider myself to be a pretty intelligent person and hate to admit that I was hopelessly lost in this plot. This story was way too convoluted and there just seemed to be absolutely no suspense. Action films annoy me, but this film had literally no action whatsoever. The pace was painfully slow. However, I must admit, for some reason my fiance really liked it.

Jan 13 - 08:02 PM

Jon J.

Jon Johannesson

I don't understand what people found complex about the movie. Just watch it and pay close attention and the plot makes perfect sense along with its delicate pacing.
I don't understand why this film has got such sporadic ratings, it's pretty much one of the best films I saw in 2011. An absolute masterclass in filmmaking.

Jan 14 - 04:54 AM

Erik Brandt

Erik Brandt

The plot made perfect sence, it was just soooo boring! :/

Jan 15 - 11:41 PM

Jao Romero

Jao Romero

the plot was pretty straightforward. that was the problem. for a spy film, it was so BORING i could've stopped watching it after 15 minutes and know the ending.

if i'm missing something from this film, it must be the book, which i have not read. if so, then this was a very poor adaptation.

Feb 20 - 07:19 AM

Tina White

Tina White

Agrees completely: I have no idea what was going on, but I love the actors

Jan 15 - 04:06 PM

Zuzana Hrkal

Zuzana Hrkal

This movie was bad. It is simple as that! I saw only half of it and I am still recovering. Why are you trying to see something where there is nothing. Zero ...I am European American, I like heavy stuff, this was BS.

Jan 15 - 08:38 PM

Weldon Smith

Weldon Smith

Shhh, don't tell us you didn't sit through the whole film! That renders your harsh write off of the piece rather meaningless since you don't reeeally know what your writing off. or talking about.

Jan 20 - 12:15 AM

Brendan Schroer

Brendan Schroer

The film had solid performances, I'll give it that. However, the film would have been much more worthwhile had the first minutes not been so alienating to viewers. The movie was still intriguing nonetheless, but I also think it would have been smarter for advertisements not to label the film in such an "exciting" or "explosive" way. The film is in NO way an explosive spy-action film, rather a dense spy drama/thriller.

Jan 22 - 08:12 PM

Paul Zakrzewski

Paul Zakrzewski

I agree. Totally a snoozer. Who cares about people like this. What was at stake. The story was a mess.

Jan 26 - 07:54 AM