Critic Review - Laramie Movie Scope

There has always been this ultra-cool tendency in British spy movies, but I don't ever remember seeing one this emotionless. There probably have been some, but few have combined emotional detachment with such technical mastery of filmmaking techniques.

February 2, 2012 Full Review Source: Laramie Movie Scope | Comments (7)
Laramie Movie Scope

Comments

Mark Toomer

Mark Toomer

I completely agree with your comments. I could see that it was a well-put-together film, but I felt completely detached from the main character and most of the other characters. While I didn't go to the movie expecting James-Bond-type action, I did expect drama, which was decidely lacking. I can appreciate that in the world of spies hiding their true feelings is necessary at times, but the extensive use of hesitant and emotionless dialogue throughout the movie left me with a very flat feeling.

Feb 8 - 02:58 AM

Pam Beech

Pam Beech

I also agree, I have read the book and have the series. While the atmosphere is slow as you expect in a spy/mole film, the expressional acting from Alec Guinness/Ian Richardson and co is superb - this film does not convey this. I was very disappointed.

Feb 11 - 11:49 PM

Lizzie Orley

Lizzie Orley

Similar to the emotional detachment in the American version of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, then?

Feb 12 - 04:04 PM

Luvagoo

Tallulah Robinson

I thought it was wonderful and very emotional. I was tense the entire time, and cared about the characters a lot. Subtlety to the extreme, though.

Feb 16 - 05:56 AM

Shaune Steele

Shaune Steele

I absolutely agree with the commenters. The movie left me feeling very flat. I read the book and saw the series. This film version didn't draw me in at all. I didn't care what happened to anyone and didn't care who the mole was.

Apr 21 - 07:52 PM

Jeffrey Garrett

Jeffrey Garrett

think you missed the point of George Smiley altogether, and i wonder if you feel the same about the portrayal by Alec Guiness as well, because oldman's versionis much more energized. if anything it comments on the british mannerism of subdued polity in all matters, as if it that itself is what was being fought for rather than any political ideology..."the West has become so...ugly." is the quintessential line at the end. george smiley is this subdued, almost schizoid man, but we need to detect that bebeath his guise, he is in moral turmoil over his the whole circuc thing, that he is incredibly lonesome and sad. It is quite the opposite of the typical sociopathic spy theme, where under the exciting demeanor there is cold nothingness..here, under the cold nothingness is intense emotion, sadness, a life of betrayal and loss and tormented moral uncertainty...look at oldman's eyes if you can stomach to watch it again some time.

May 4 - 11:37 AM

Michael P.

Michael Perry

still, pretty detached to pretend everything is fine/carry on as usual, when your work colleague is f*ing your wife.

"the West has become so...ugly." i so agreed there, although Putin is quite clearly the devil, so i think i will double agent for China :)

Jun 5 - 07:01 PM