Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Reviews

½ May 27, 2013
Slow and confusing, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy struggles to expose its purpose
½ July 25, 2015
It's superbly shot and well-plotted, but "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" has minimal payoff in the end.
½ July 8, 2015
An understated tale of old-school espionage. The plot deliberately moves at a slow pace, which allows the audience to soak the brilliance of the solid cast.
½ June 23, 2015
Very well directed and shot, with a tremendous British cast.
June 12, 2015
This movie made absolutely no sense. You people who liked it must be involved in British politics or want to seem cool with your knowledge because this was the most confusing thing I have ever watched. I had to google what the circus was. The entire film I had no idea what I was waiting for. What was the conflict? How was it supposed to end? I just felt like I was waiting for the film to be over instead of waiting for the conflict to be resolved. I think I was no where near smart enough for this movie.
June 12, 2015
just so slow, couldnt make it through the first act
August 4, 2011
Well, that was disappointing. About as dense as Le Carré's novels, too (the one I did read, anyway). A multi-layered story that doesn't really make all the layers at least reasonably accessible to viewers.

The acting was good, though, and the film's got mad style. That counts for something, right?
January 31, 2012
Slow burning paranoia, one of the best films of 2011.
½ May 30, 2015
I can't believe I watched 37 minutes and 51 seconds of this. It has all the tension and interest of a broken rubber band. It's mostly about boring, dull, dreary people working in a boring, dull, dreary office. Apparently there's a mole.
½ June 29, 2012
Some spy films have given a charming view off its world, far from the reality. "Tinker..." give us a credible story based in the novel, whose author was a man from the MI6. Spies were and are probably more like the characters of this film. The visual and atmosphere of the story was well achieved by the director. For some people could be tortuous path to follow all the hints of the story but for me it was OK.
May 24, 2015
Quite simply, this is just a brilliant movie from beginning to end. Hoyte van Hoytema's cinematography and Pilar Foy's art direction blend together perfectly to capture not only the era depicted, but the paranoia and complexities of the story. Be prepared, this highly intelligent film is not going to hold your hand as it moves the story in a sort of cinematic chess game of human stories.
May 5, 2015
It's a shame that such an interesting and thoughtful movie with so many great performances didn't get the sort of recognition that it deserved. Oldman, Cumberbatch, Strong, Firth and Hardy are all fantastic in this movie, and its cinematography is absolutely gorgeous and captivating considering that the majority of the film takes place in offices or other humdrum environments. It's not a film for a casual audience, but if you invest yourself into this film, it rewards you in spades.
October 4, 2014
Cool and even paced but eventually you wanted to know when the high paced espionage would kick in. Great restrained performances from all and easy to see why it was so well received, but ultimately I felt like it was a big build up to an underwhelming crescendo to find a villain whom was telegraphed from the first few moments of the film.
March 25, 2015
Very convoluted and overly dry,stuffy,boring and plodding story,characters, dialogue,music and wardrobe.Quite terribly excessively British,to be perfectly honest,if one should so feel inclined to say so,I do believe.

Seen it twice and still not sure if I understand it all really.And the mole is very anti-climactic,as it´s the less interesting suspect and the one we see less of.
March 30, 2015
Very nice, impressionist film with subdued but deeply moving performances. A lot is said in few words or slight expressions. A bit hard to follow at first but worth it.
March 22, 2015
OK but not as good as the book or the TV series....
March 21, 2015
Interspersed with some exciting action scenes, and some very luring story telling, an overly complicated plot, presented in an unnecessarily convoluted way, made this movie only adequate give the cast on board.
½ June 5, 2012
Great cast, could have been half an hour shorter.
December 8, 2011
Still one of the best suspense movies I have ever seen, to rival Rear Window or Zodiac Tinker Tailor is a John LE Carre written masterpiece with an all star cast of Britain's best and brightest, across generations. Swedish director Tomas Alfredson of Let the right one in fame and Swedish-Dutch DP Hoyte van Hoytema, also of Let the right one In fame but also Interstellar, the fighter, Her and the upcoming Spectre create a grimy, visually mesmerising film that you can't take your eyes off of. The soundtrack is slow and bone chilling, moreso than most two-bit horror movies that make the rounds around Hollywood nowadays and the plot... The plot is convoluted and hard to follow, slow to build up momentum and quick to discharge it in dead ends and double agents. it is incredibly hard to follow for the average viewer. As it bloody should be.

This is a John le Carre movie, not a Ian Fleming one. Smiley isn't a suave ladies man but a broken, misanthropic, extremely calculated chessmaster. And what is a chessmaster without a chess set? Characters move around like pieces on the gameboard of the movie stretching our attention span and endlessly double and triple crossing others for gain and country. If you can't muster up the brainpower to follow that, c'est la vie but that hardly makes the movie's intricacies unsuitable for the screen. It adds to the atmosphere and the value of the movie immensely elevating it above run of the mill suspense thrillers.

Still one of my favourite movies featuring a great cast, score, beautiful but restrained cinematography and a fantastic storyline, Tinker, Tailor gets better with every rewatch.
February 27, 2015
An incredibly complex and tense spy drama that requires your full attention. Beautifully shot and with a insane cast that is filled to the brim with talent.