Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Reviews

April 21, 2016
One of the most realistic Cold War spy-games movies I've seen. Great performances, great cinematography. Great all around.
March 3, 2016
Pretentious, utterly dull and nowhere near as engaging as it claims to be.
½ February 17, 2012
Was ok. Interesting, I guess. Not my favourite, thats for sure. Oldman is again very good...
March 23, 2016
B
Gary Oldman with a great performance, boring at first takes time to get into it, great period piece
March 16, 2016
Rather too complicated
March 16, 2016
Absolute classic. Unforgettable performances from a triple A cast. Very suspenseful plot. This is a movie for intellectuals, the sort of movie people should appreciate way more. Can't give it enough stars.
September 27, 2011
A fine British film with an excellent cast. The 70s setting was utterly convincing. I particularly liked Tom Hardy and Mark Strong's performances. Like Le Carre's novels this movie is a bit dry, but well-crafted nonetheless.
½ March 12, 2016
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy great ensemble cast unfortunately can't overcome its flawed direction and dull script.
½ March 9, 2016
I have no idea what's going on.
March 5, 2016
Decent spy-thriller. Very dense. A bit slow at times. I expected a better movie considering the amazing cast.
½ February 21, 2016
Viewer really needs to stay involved to keep up with the story. No big reveals. Just a bit of info here, a bit of info there. Kind of what the intelligence gathering process is really like.
February 19, 2016
Wonder why it took me so long to watch it. Awesome.
½ February 15, 2016
I admired this for the acting but wasn't gripped by the story as I expected to be.
February 7, 2016
John Le Carré's script improves the final result.
½ September 13, 2011
Just to update my review, I have listed every reason why I hate this.
Smiley isn't likeable, hes a smug twat who never develops and I just couldn't route for him. Every thriller needs its protagonist to meet his match. Smiley was never even challenged. Hello!
If you want the audience to care about the outcome, you have to show the consequence of failure. Mark Strong getting shot at the start isn't enough. He was meeting with dangerous people and took a risk.
You think your coming up on a plot point and they cut away to a new location. This reminds me of Uwe Boll's Alone in the Dark. Also during another plot point, they cut away to a shot of train tracks changing. Why? Editor do your job. A film can't be entirely plot. You need to offer more like Godfather offered a great family relationship, Twin Peaks offered us atmosphere and Zodiac offered interesting characters. Mark Strong shoots Colin Firth through a fence. They did have bullet proof glass back then. Do your research. That that critics. I can forgive you for praising the suspense-free monster film The Host, but really step back like I have and really see this film for what it is. A bizarre attempt at film making.
February 3, 2016
best spy movie ever.
½ November 10, 2013
Riveting. Every time I watch it.
½ January 15, 2016
Great acting talent. But is the story too much? It's a movie that makes viewers crave to read the novel.
½ January 14, 2016
I've seen it at least three times, and it just doesn't get any better. I really want to like this movie, but I just don't.