67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

—— New Girl: Season 4
83% Sons of Anarchy: Season 7

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Reviews

June 24, 2014
When I decided to watch this film, I really wanted to see the next great spy/espionage feature. What I got was only a solid movie that I nevertheless enjoyed. The acting is superb with the likes of Gary Oldman, Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hardy, Colin Firth, Mark Strong, John Hurt, and others driving the puzzling and non-linear narrative. Oldman in particular continues to show his versatility by being the soft-spoken, yet calculating George Smiley. Director Thomas Alfredson does an admirable job piecing together a narrative from somewhat-complicated source material. The film still ends up feeling a bit dull and slow in pacing, but I cannot deny the intellectualism and underlying tension of this story.
July 7, 2014
I tried so hard, but I just couldn't get into it
July 6, 2014
It's been a while since I've seen a movie that was this painful to try to get through. Boring and confusing is not a good combination. There are only so many times you can see a shot of a document being slowly passed up an elevator or see a close-up of Gary Oldman staring into space. And what plot there is is so jumbled up, it doesn't feel like there is any coherent structure. Worse than that, the whole movie is based around the premise that you want to know who the mole is. But you don't learn enough about any of these characters to care who the mole is. I went through this thinking this feels like it should be a BBC miniseries. Turns out they did make one back in the 70s with Alec Guinness. I hope it was a lot better than this.
July 4, 2014
So this is a good "who done it" Cold War thriller, but with some small changes it could've been GREAT. The cast is solid and it has a really interesting plot (especially if you're into espionage). Gary Oldman is very good (as expected) and there are very, very strong supporting roles. As an ensemble, the cast was very impressive.

The problem is the first half of this movie is just really way too slow, I mean just brutally so. As hard as I tried, I was battling staying awake while watching the first half. The director just spent way too much time detailing the monotonous activities around spies and the initial investigation that they completely lost me. I like my thrillers to be a little more upbeat and better paced (and by a little I mean A LOT).

The second half however really picks up and they are some really good, unexpected surprises as the mole is eventually uncovered. It's a little convoluted, but not much more so than your average film in the genre. It's a shame though; edit or cut out twenty minutes out the first half of this film and I think you have one of the best thrillers of 2011. Barring that, I recommend Margin Call instead for a thriller released around this time.
July 1, 2014
2011 - 0/5

I feel as if I'm being too hard on this movie (and pretty much any other movie I saw while on a plane in the month of June). I remember my friend saying she really liked this movie, so I decided to watch it. It was boring, and I don't think I was actually paying any attention while watching it.
December 30, 2013
couldn't watch - too slow
June 29, 2014
A exceptional spy thriller. Deliberately paced, yet never boring. Great acting.
June 28, 2014
Great movie - but only for patient people.

It's like one of these old thrillers - slow to start, slow to build tension, not filled with unnecessary action, not trying to show fireworks every minute (and not ending with some moronic "truth about life").

It's simply a realistic investigation !
When so many modern movies promise much and disappoint much, this one does not show off but is perfectly crafted.

It's filled with emotions - real but subtle emotions, not the usual overplayed emotions we see in thrillers (it makes sense, they are spies after all).
It's dense if you pay attention (but it's empty if you expect the usual gun firing, running and screaming !).
The music, the costumes, everything just feels right.

Those seeing emptiness and lack of emotions, well... Either they didn't look good, either they have a short attention span, sorry to say !
But you've been warned: watch this movie when you're fully awake, it's not a Saturday night flick you watch while talking on the phone and eating popcorn.
It's a movie you watch carefully, because it shows you something very rare in thriller movies : subtlety.
December 17, 2013
Gripping, until you fall asleep during the pseudo-intellectualism...
Simonhardinguk
June 9, 2014
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is not your typical secret agent mystery thriller. Rather than go out with guns blazing in an attempt to stop the bad guy it deals with a retired agent who must work out who the mole is within the group. An idea that sounds really promising but unfortunately failed to live up to what I was hoping.
Getting the big positive out the way first, the film includes a fantastic cast line-up. Along with Gary Oldman leading his way with an Oscar nomination, you also get some worthy performances from John Hurt and Benedict Cumberbatch. You also gain some enjoyable characters from the likes of Colin Firth, Mark Strong and Tom Hardy. There is even a small entertaining moment from Kathy Burke. The bleak days of the Cold War are successfully recreated and the characters fit right in, especially with the big glasses and retro hairstyles.
Whilst many praised the film and the screenplay, it was this that I found the issue with. The overall plot was easy to make sense of and the flashback scattered throughout were in no way distracting. However, I felt that certain lines of dialogue could have done with more explaining into what exactly was happening. A number of times the scene would change to another without me knowing what was going on. I was finding myself that confused that when the "mole" was uncovered, I hadn't even realised it. When the find come to an end, I was disappointed as I could not keep up with a plot that sounded so promising. Now knowing this, I may find myself appreciating the script more on a second viewing. Even with this issue, I can't fault the film in what it offers.
judebd
June 7, 2014
Brilliantly crafted.
June 7, 2014
Great involving story and Oldman and the rest of the cast is very good, just too unnecessarily complex at times at times.
March 4, 2012
Amazing film from start to finish with a couple nuanced tweaks to the original story.
July 8, 2013
Not boring like some have claimed. The director Tomas Alfredson spends most of the movie building up tension and setting up the characters. So the final act is the best it can be. Regrettably the last 20 minutes is rushed and does not tie up many loose ends. Unlike the book, and TV series starring Alec Guiness as Smiley, which do not explain everything but does not leave too much to speculate upon. Like what happened Prideaux? Apart from the disappointing resolution Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a perfectly grim and stylised story of espionage which captures the darkness of the Cold War almost flawlessly and stays captivating throughout.
November 20, 2012
I had to watch this a second time to fully understand, and appreciate it. Very unique film, my favorite of it's kind. There's so much depth, substance to the story, the writing is so powerful that it makes me want to pick up the book and read it. A spy film that doesn't rely on fast paced action scenes - it's very slow paced, and I love it that way. Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Benedict Cumberbatch.. all around great acting.
Nelson C.
May 22, 2014
I'm guessing you need to read the book. From the point of view of a person who hasn't read the book it's as exciting as watching paint dry. Just an absolute snore fest.
September 29, 2011
The movie is riveting in the exact sense of the word: We feel nailed to the screen in the impossible task of working out what is going on-let alone why it matters. I say RENT IT!!!
May 15, 2014
Atmospheric and well-acted, but way too slow...
February 23, 2012
recommend to see this
May 16, 2012
Stellar cast, but man is this boring. No emotion.