Tiny Furniture Reviews

April 30, 2015
Criticism of Dunham's work usually consists of pointing out the privilege, entitlement, and irritating suspended-adolescence her characters exist within. These criticisms fail to take into account the fact that Dunham imbues her work with these themes intentionally, making it both an exploration of a subculture and an indictment of the ways in which this subculture functions. The transitional period between academia and stability is miserable and unappealing and annoying and it turns people into self-obsessed narcissists; that's exactly what Dunham captures here. "Tiny Furniture" has bizarre moments of humor offset with uncomfortable outbursts from a family with intentionally irritating qualities; if you view the film with this mindset the experience is much more rewarding both comedically and in terms of the insight you gain from these characters' existential musings.
½ April 29, 2015
?irin bir ya?amdan kesit. ÷zellikle dialoglar? ve film g÷ndermelerini sevdim. ve evet, frances ha'n?n biraz daha genš hali gibi :)
April 29, 2015
Though it is not actually a prequel to the HBO show 'Girls', it still plays out like one. And it stars three actors from the show - Dunham, Kirk, & Karpovsky. Written and directed by Lena Dunham - sound familiar. Younger Lena was just as whiny but a little cuter. It's still generally about arrested development in NYC if that's your thing.
April 25, 2015
I really have been getting into Lena Dunham's Girls on HBO and its one of my favorite shows on television right now. So I was interested in checking out Lena's first major film after I got caught up on Girls. It was interesting to see her in a different role (not really that different, but her character wasn't as funny in this) and to see other actors from Girls in this as well. You can definitely see how this film influenced some characters and plots in Girls, but this is more of a straight-forward drama compared to that. Overall this is a film with flaws, but I really liked to see it especially after being a fan of Girls.
March 15, 2015
This movie triggered a memory: More than half a century ago I was sharing a joint with a fellow student on a park bench and we observed the back of a girl in a full length coat at a distant bus stop. She was gently moving to music inaudible to us and my friend remarked: "They MUST be from another planet; we could never look that great doing this".
March 11, 2015
Twentysomethings in Tribeca 'figuring it out'. Clever screenplay by Lena Dunham.
½ April 18, 2012
A little indie film offered by Lena Dunham. A young woman who proves that she's good at what she have, and proving she can be as successful as her mother and her sister. I thought the first half was alright, meeting old friends and doing their own hobbies and stuffs. Until she comes with a job and meeting new people that maybe solves her depression but then it depresses her even more. I thought the screenplay was good and the execution was alright though the story could have been widened a bit. 3.5/5
½ May 28, 2014
Honestly my favorite part about this film was the cover.

Certain moments of this film really spoke to me. But as the film progressed, I hated Aura more and more. Maybe Dunham wants everyone to hate her (like she does in Girls), but I'm not interested in hating someone for the sake of hating them? Towards the end it just got more and more painful to watch (I was holding my hair, begging for it to end).

There is no way I would ever recommend this to anyone... in fact, I'm a little embarrassed I sat through it...

ON THE OTHER HAND, it showed an honesty exposing the faults some of us have in a way I could probably never capture in my own work. For being able to recognize and understand your self-hating characteristics, I say Bravo.
November 9, 2010
A pre-cursor to her series GIRLS, it might as well have been the pilot. In fact, this film even has some of the same characters and scenes that ended up in the series. I thought about recommending this for fans of the series, but that probably isn't a good idea because this is a less polished version. What probably works better, is if you like this movie then you will undoubtedly enjoy the series....
May 7, 2013
Pretty moving for the stage of life I am in. Hated the ending though.
November 4, 2014
Funny, cute, and very well written. Dunham proves to Hollywood that she can write, direct, and act.
November 1, 2014
WOW.....WOW.....WOW.....WOW....BRILLIANT....FUNNY....AMAZING.....GENIUS.....I HAVE JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH A FANTASTIC MOVIE 2 WATCH......its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie....I think that Alex Karpovsky, Rachel Howe, Grace Dunham, Laurie Simmons, Lena Dunham, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this comedy movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.....

Filming

The film was shot on the Canon EOS 7D. Filming took place in TriBeCa and Lower Manhattan. The film was shot in November 2009. Dunham says she wrote a "tight script" to which the actors were faithful.

Music

The soundtrack included music by Teddy Blanks of The Gaskets, Domino (Domino Kirke, and Jordan Galland), Rebecca Schiffman and Sonia's Party! & The Everyone's Invited Band. The soundtrack is downloadable for free on the movie website.

Tiny Furniture was released on DVD and Blu-ray Disc in 2012 as part of the Criterion Collection

Lena Dunham won for Best First Screenplay at the 2010 Independent Spirit Awards

I think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch.....

It premiered at South by Southwest, where it won Best Narrative Feature, screened at such festivals as Maryland Film Festival, and was released theatrically in the United States on November 12, 2010. Dunham's own mother, the artist Laurie Simmons, plays Aura's mother, while her real sister, Grace, plays Aura's on-screen sibling. The actors Jemima Kirke and Alex Karpovsky would also appear in Dunham's television series Girls.

its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.....man this is such a really funny movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch, it is such an enjoyable comedy movie 2 watch....it is such a funny movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch, it is such a powerful drama movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a great movie 2 watch, it is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch, with a great cast throughout this movie......
½ October 29, 2014
Girls, but 10x better.
½ September 29, 2014
A little indie film offered by Lena Dunham. All I see is a struggle of a young woman who proves that she's good at what she have right now and to prove that she can be as successful as her mother and her sister. I thought the first half was alright, meeting old friends and making stuff. Until she comes with a job and meeting new people that maybe solves her depression but then it worsen her struggles more. I thought the screenplay was good and the execution was alright though the story could have been widened a bit. We know it's indie so it's what we get. She could be a good director doing a drama comedy in big time in the next future. I can see that.
September 13, 2012
Good cinematography, but pretty diectionless. And no, not in the way that it's a metaphor for how Aura's life is. Lacking in whole ideas.
September 20, 2014
smart writing. loved it.
½ August 17, 2014
Tiny Furniture is a great indie film by Lena Dunham who made a show called Girls and it's still going. The film is about what Aura is going to do with her life, and that's it. It's not exciting, some viewers might not even like it because it's boring, but Lena Dunham is really good and she made it work out. Even the writing is good and it makes the movie interesting, funny, and realistic to me. I'm probably not going to watch it again in the future, but I'm glad that I watch it and had a great time with it.
½ July 25, 2014
"How are things?" " Um. I'm really tired. I took three Klonopin and woke up next to a spoon full of peanut butter."

I didnt hate it, but I found myself wondering who financed this film. A quiet female comedy with quirky characters & not much of a plot, yet Lena Dunham was unusually charismatic on screen. Her deadpan delivery was very sincere & intriguing. AND Im glad she kept her clothes on during the entire movie lol.

Enjoyed Jemima Kirkes character as well (she reminded me a bit of Kelly Osbourne.) Also starred Lenas real life mom & sister.
July 17, 2014
"Tiny Furniture" is a paper-thin but sharp comedy that introduced us to the singular voice of Lena Dunham.
July 14, 2014
Excellent first feature; honest and funny. That said, the story meanders. But Dunham knows what she's doing and chooses to relishes the small moments. Think 'Ghost World' meets 'Good Dick'. You can't help but think Dunham will become, in the world of indi-cinema, an inevitable influence.