Some Filmgoers Shocked to Learn Titanic Was Based on a True Story

Summary

Twitter breaks our hearts again. Back to Article

Comments

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Newsflash! Stupid people use Twitter. That's why they call them Twits. At least Paul McCartney survived the sinking....

Apr 10 - 02:43 PM

Dave J

Dave J

I was just about to say the same thing or along those same sentiments because there's way too much unimportant reading on twittering and gossiping in general using tools as I-Phones and other Apple products! The other thing is that there's way too much history for instance, for every new President that comes into power is going to make it harder for all the students to remember some of the previous ones or for what they have done!

Apr 11 - 12:43 PM

Janson Jinnistan

So it's Obama's fault? Is that what you're saying? There's only about 6000 years of recorded history. Not too shabby. There is no measurable capacity for human memory. 'Neuroplasticity'. Let's stretch this thing out!

Apr 11 - 12:59 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Students are only in school for so many months of the year so for every new textbook they have to study that would be revised again and again would mean that more history would have to be taken out with new ones added in!

Apr 11 - 02:44 PM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

The facepalm of facepalms.

Apr 10 - 03:17 PM

tgibfo

Matt Ritchey

I hate people and I want to move to an island. (I'm noticing this comment coming up repeatedly in my posts.........)

Apr 10 - 04:05 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

The first generation to ever have the world at their fingertips... yet rather than simply google titanic, they tweet their ignorance for all to see.

Apr 10 - 08:56 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

It's really sad that they appear to be the most clueless, impatient and selfish generation ever in America. About their access to the world through the Internet, I've been lamenting almost the same exact thing. With the Internet, they have access to all sorts of information and knowledge: communicating with people is now easier than ever. One can contact a stranger without seeming intrusive. One can contact famous people -- those with some of the greatest minds -- with much ease. And yet, what do the newer generations of today do? Spend their time spreading their ignorance. Indulge in the most juvenile, ignorant and narcissistic ways.

And what's also very bothersome to me is that there are adults I've known (some in managerial and executive positions) who gush about the youths of today, going on and on about how smart and inspiring they are.

Apr 10 - 11:09 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Very good point but the thing is that besides the titanic, there's obviously going to be alot of other stuff they didn't know either which arises the question what kind of information that's more important to 'know' and learn as opposed to what isn't! I also don't think that all young adults are complete airheads since as they grow older there would be more stuff to know diminishing whatever events that happened in the past- give it another 20 years or so and I bet you they wouldn't even know whether or not 9/11 even happened!

Apr 11 - 12:57 PM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

Natural selection fails us yet again.

Apr 10 - 09:31 PM

Corr

Alexander Sciury

This seriously has me worried for humanity...

Apr 10 - 09:47 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

Apr 10 - 11:09 PM

BrianMN

Brian Nallick

If you haven't seen "Waiting for Superman" well....this news about the Titanic really shouldn't surprise anyone. Just remember, teachers and unions are evil. Continue to dumb down our kids,cram 100 of them in a room with one teacher who is so busy dodging bullets he/she can't teach, inject them and dummy them up with prescription meds they don't need, continue to feed them crap food loaded with hormones (Food inc), let the net raise them because parents can't be bothered. (Holy rant Batman)
Ok, I'm done now.

Apr 11 - 06:08 AM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

Three cheers for public education!

Apr 11 - 06:20 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Well give them a break. It happened, you know, like a really long time ago and it was old and stuff and ....HEY Kim Kardashian just tweeted about flossing!!!!

Apr 11 - 07:25 AM

Dakhma

Chris Harron

I just don't get when mass ignorance became news worthy. What a waste of bandwidth.

Apr 11 - 07:33 AM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

When it was interesting enough to get people to post comments on it, that's when.

Apr 11 - 10:08 AM

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

lame twitter users the only one i pay attention to is jiah khan, english-indian actress

Apr 11 - 07:44 AM

AccursedArachnid

Accursed Arachnid

Well, it's not their fault. It doesn't state that it's "Based on a True Story" in the ads or on the posters. I blame Paramount.

Apr 11 - 08:41 AM

Corr

Alexander Sciury

I blame our education system... I mean seriously, it isn't Paramount's responsibility to say that it's "Based on a True Story" but it is our school's responsibility to teach history.

Apr 11 - 09:29 AM

Janson Jinnistan

"History" is not on the No Child Left Behind Test. I read one prominent educator, at an Ivy League college, was dismayed that one of his recent students didn't realize that the original 13 colonies were on the East Coast. 'NCLB' is a HUGE part of the problem. Another is some rather stubborn assumptions over how people will be using technology to make themselves 'smarter'. Here's some decent reading on the debate (http://pewinternet.org/Reports/2010/Future-of-the-Internet-IV/Part-1Google.aspx) so enjoy it while people can still read.

Apr 11 - 10:10 AM

Corr

Alexander Sciury

I completely agree with you about the NCLB. It needs to go. I'll take a look at that article.

Apr 11 - 10:25 AM

Janson Jinnistan

I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. I agree with very little that's said in that article. I just think it's important that people are aware of the debate. I personally think it's idiotic to think that people don't need to 'remember' as much because they can just look stuff up online, and that's the crux of a lot of people's arguments. First, this requires an absurd amount of faith in the factual integrity of what you find online (I say after having read a bit yesterday on how Stephen King actually murdered John Lennon B}), but also it fails to understand that a collection of facts are NOT the same thing as 'knowledge', which requires these facts be placed in the context of a person's experience - "worldview", "perspective", etc. They are all also irrationally optimistic over people's motivations to learn more than they absolutely have to, especially in the absence of a stronger 'media literacy' course of study in our schools to aid in this critical discipline. Plus you have Orwell's "1984", the perfect example of what can happen to facts if people don't keep their eyes on them.

Apr 11 - 11:26 AM

AccursedArachnid

Accursed Arachnid

I don't think any of you understood the sarcasm in my post. LOL.

Apr 11 - 12:58 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Sorry. I got your humor, but I admit to getting off point with an unrelated rant about history education.

Apr 11 - 01:03 PM

Corr

Alexander Sciury

Yeah, sorry I didn't get it. Sarcasm is just too hard to read over the internet.

Apr 11 - 01:24 PM

Corr

Alexander Sciury

Apr 11 - 09:29 AM

Apr 11 - 10:10 AM

Corr

Alexander Sciury

Apr 11 - 10:25 AM

Apr 11 - 11:26 AM

Sean D.

Sean D

To quote the great Hubert Farnsworth: "I don't want to live on this planet anymore"

Apr 11 - 09:51 AM