TMNT Reviews

March 22, 2007
Not bad, my daughter loves it and way better than the live action versions. The CGI in this is just awesome. Especially on blu ray.
February 4, 2010
"TMNT" reignites the teenage mutant ninja turtles not in the way that some may have wanted, but in a way that true fans of the characters and a good story can respect. This film is comparable to the original film in many ways, and by the end you feel refreshed after going through the dreaded live-action sequels that are globally hated. This film splits up the characters as if they have grown apart and watching them come together as a team to fight evil once again was fun to watch and being an animated film allowed them to go all out anf I really liked that/ "TMNT" is not great by any means, but it brings the characters back to their roots and their personalities are represented perfectly. Still, the plot is simple, the dialgue is obvious, and you know the outcome, but this is a fun watch!
½ August 20, 2007
The first fully CGI animated movie for the Turtles after three live action films. I think officially this is suppose to be set after the original film but could easily be a stand alone chapter in the Turtles universe. This whole production is completely different from the previous films, obviously a whole new approach but voice work is all new too, no one from the older films makes a return here.

In all honesty this movie is somewhat lacking and merely comes across as a Saturday cartoon series that has been stuck together. It never really feels like a proper movie and the lame plot doesn't really help. Its all to do with trying to conquer the world with monsters from another dimension by a group of elite warriors from 3000 years prior that had been turned to stone. Their immortal leader wants to stop them and break the curse that makes him and his warriors immortal. On and along the way the 'Foot Clan' join forces with the Turtles.

It all kicks off well enough, the initial sequence of all four Turtles bounding across the rooftops at night is excellent and really gets you in the mood for some Turtle goodness. That is the kind of visual sequence which wets your appetite for this classic franchise and they captured it perfectly but briefly. The Turtles look agile, firm and well rounded (a good weight to them), they do also have a slight darkness to them, they haven't been totally watered down. Myself I would have preferred them to be much meaner looking but we all knew that wasn't gonna happen.

The only thing I noticed was the shape of the Turtles heads seemed a bit squashed. This made their upper lip/snout stick out a bit too far if you ask me, gave their heads a motorcycle helmet type shape. The other thing I didn't like was the guy voicing Leo, hated that voice, just sounds like some pretty boy pop idol voice, there's nothing quirky about it, no character.

Another problem I have is the fact the Turtles look good but everybody else doesn't. All the human characters just look like cartoons, the old Saturday morning cartoon issue again. 'Splinter' looks reasonable but maybe too weak looking? none of the other characters really seem to have the right weight to them like the four main stars, this shatters the grown up approach to the film, any sense of graphic novel realism.

The same can be said for the CGI in general, backgrounds, cityscape's, vehicles, buildings etc...one minute the movie looks quite dark and brooding, touching on that graphic novel style we all wanna see. The next minute it looks like a damn cartoon! its as though the animators have been reined in, stopped from getting too carried away with creating an adult Turtles film which they know we all really wanna see lets be honest.

Add to that the plot feels more like something that would suit Hellboy rather than the Turtles. The flashback sequence explaining the ancient warriors is a great little moment but it just doesn't fit this franchise if you ask me. The monsters also look like creations from a Hellboy movie, nice designs I might add. This is the problem for the Turtles franchise, you can't have them constantly fighting 'Shredder' yet they don't really have anyone else to battle who is popular or well known.

The best part of the film is easily the sequence where Leo fights Raph on the rooftops in the rain. This one sequence shows exactly what can be achieved and what everybody wanted to see, more grit. Not only did this sequence look awesome but it gave us a hint of proper characterization, something to get your teeth into, had it been aimed toward adults it would have been even better. There comes a time when you know the Turtles need to swear...and it would be bitchin.

Looking back at this its disappointing, its not like I didn't expect it to be for kids, saw it coming a mile away, but its still such a shame. This movie clearly shows us glimpses of how cool a dark adult animated Turtles flick could be, the evidence is there to be seen, if only they could be true to a franchise.
Directors Cat
December 13, 2011
A lot of movies now a days have to make sense. Did classic science fiction/action films like Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Godzilla have to make sense to be good? No they didn't. TMNT ultimately stays faithful to its predecessor's with the same witty humour and signature character personalities. Plus a stunning technological update with a unique animation style, absolutely amazing voice acting and gripping, entertaining and scary dark overtones.
May 29, 2011
This movie gets too much flak from fans of the old trilogy. I'll say it now before anything else, the old movies were not good, in fact, they were embarrassing masses of tactless gag humor.

This TMNT installment did a lot of things right, for one the tension between Ralph and Leo? Beautiful. In fact the drama between the brothers was probably the highlight of the film that all previous installments failed to achieve. Secondly? Thank god they got rid of those clunky live-action suits. As a kid it always bugged me how they never moved like ninjas in the previous movies, it made the action anything but fun. Finally the art direction, I love the design of the turtles and how they're not just a derivative of the live action look; very sleek and stylized.

With all that said it makes you wonder why this warrants 34% on RT, well, it's the witless outdated humor for one. Michaelangelo is a goof-ball but he's rarely funny and the gags/one-liners sing the same tone throughout the movie.

Then there's the premise. It's not necessarily bad in the sense of child-media. Magical immortal warriors that want to conquer the world? Sure I've seen similar ideas that kids gobble up in an instant but I guess that's the problem here, it just doesn't click with enough complexities and maturity that older fans and critics are probably looking for.

All in all, a good ride for a TMNT movie, it just spirals into senseless stupidity in the final act that you should really just watch for the action sequences. The story leaves much to be desired, hopefully they'll remedy that situation next time around.
FilmFanatik
April 22, 2007
I really enjoyed this one. I was a massive turtles fan as a kid and I think this was a pretty good update. It's not perfect, but thankfully it's not a pile of crap.
½ November 26, 2009
While it's not horrible, it's just not the Ninja Turtles. They took almost none of the great source material from the comics and produced a really kid friendly movie. It's got some redeeming qualities, but it's just nowhere near the level of the first three films.
½ August 26, 2007
Love the Ninja Turtles!.. cool movie, Action was not bad ended too suddenly for me but I did like it ^_^
May 10, 2009
If you were a fan of the movie mythology this movie ties it together nicely. I hope they make more like this.
March 21, 2009
pretty good but it absolutely pissed me off that they ruined my favorite character (Donotello). he was perfect in the original, and then in the 2nd they made him like a computer whiz or something, and now hes just a huge nerd thats not even funny anymore... WHAT HAS HOLLYWOOD DONE TO MY SWEET DONOTELLO?!?!?.... its like everytime they make a textbook they have to keep all the pictures really diverse so they put like 30 pics of guys in wheelchairs. ok thats NOT diversity thats false representation of the handicapped. they are a minority. so why act like every group of friends hangs out with a person in a wheelchair?? And so every comic-book movie DOES NOT NEED A NERDY CHARACTER!!!!
March 27, 2007
The magic is lost to me. I say stick to the original live action ones. The premise of this film is ridiculous, even for a story about mutant turtles, and the fight scenes are edited so precisely it's like they don't want the kids in the audience to see anyone get hit,
March 9, 2008
I was ify on watching this, afraid it wouldnt compare to movies of the past now that it's animated- but it did. Too catch up on old classic superheros too me, was awesome! And seeing Casey Jones in this one was great too.
I kind of wish April O'niel didnt whip out a sword of her own and Casey Jones did not lose some of his attitude and become a clutz at points but, whatever. It was still good!
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ August 3, 2007
Gotta say, I was pleasantly surprised. The movie really carried on the spirit of the original cartoon (though I don't know if that was it's intention) with Leonardo's leadership, Raphael's temper, Donatello's intellect and Michaelangelo's... humor. I can honestly say I enjoyed watching the film. The CG was excellent. I mean, so far most CG movies have been kiddy, but this is the first one I can think of that has actual martial arts combat being used, and it was done really well, all the fights were fun to watch, and one particular one in the rain (which was also nicely done) was well worth the price of admission. All in all, decent flick and fun to watch. Only thing I hated was that April O'Neil was training to fight and was suddenly able to beat Karai, the head of the Foot Clan (oh, and the Foot all looked cool too)
CloudStrife84
½ April 16, 2007
Good fun and a welcome comeback for these childhood favourites of mine. The story is nothing special and stuffed with clichés, but it's very entertaining and I really liked the animation and character design. Just don't expect too much, as the level of writing is aimed mainly for kids.
½ February 17, 2008
A fun flick. It's nice to see a computer-animated flick that stands out with a different tone, avoiding the same-old bright, cutesy, cartoony talking-animal look of so many recent hits like Open Season, Over the Hedge, Madagascar, Chicken Little, etc.
Chiefilms
March 3, 2008
Whatever happened to Corey Feldman as Donatello? XIII again.
sanjurosamurai
January 25, 2007
i loved this flick. it had a few major points of the story that werent explained very well, but overall it was enjoyable. this flick could have been terrible and i had fun watching it. im ready for the next one and the return of shredder.
½ January 10, 2008
I watched this in the cinema, and its not really a cine flick but I enjoyed it none the less. It made a good movie. But what I mean is I could watch this over again on DVD. Good for the kids or teenagers too.
March 21, 2007
A very good film with great CGI. Looks very much like a Pixar or Dreamworks film with a comic look. A great voice cast as well make for a good film but one more for the younger generation.
½ September 29, 2007
Pure family movie fun. Smart, thrilling, funny, charming and action-packed.