To Die Like A Man Reviews

366weirdmovies
½ October 9, 2011
A pre-op transsexual drag queen lives with a suicidal junkie. CORRECTION TO MY EARLIER REVIEW: This movie should get an "incomplete" rating from me, since I watched a flawed version via Netflix streaming. The dtreaming version is missing the audio track; I assumed that this was an experimental gimmick by the director, but in fact it was just a technical error.
½ June 30, 2013
TO DIE LIKE A MAN is a truly stunning and remarkable film. Sad, flamboyant, tortuous, and celebratory. This amazing film directed by Joao Pedro Rodrigues surprises at every turn with its raw capature of humanity. The plight of man and our complexity is in every frame of this film. Stunned is my only reaction. And there is one staggering moment when the characters all sit still in a forest, look up a the sky, the frame turns red, and Baby Dee sings CALVARY for 4 minutes on the soundtrack. One of the greatest uses of a song since Eastwood used the FIRST TIME EVER I SAW HIS FACE in PLAY MISTY FOR ME. But this is even better because the moment is part of a true whole that explores the human condition in all its coplexity while remaining totally cinematic.
November 6, 2012
The film has many layers and meanings, sure, but I am severely turned off by its indescribably melodramatic sentiments (despite knowing that this is entirely intentional, duh). But, if it is never exactly bothersome, it's because the director takes pain in crafting his ideas, although I have to say that a lot of things still remain unexplored.
August 1, 2011
Apesar de alguns cortes na naturalidade e do tom miserável típico do cinema tuga, serviu muito bem para deixar cair os preconceitos que tinha sobre o João Pedro Rodrigues e perceber que ele sabe fazer cinema. E sempre que o filme se afasta do travesti principal, fá-lo na direcção de cenas um bocado pretensiosas e chatas, o que só demonstra como o filme depende do grande papel do Fernando Santos (Toina). Nem sequer gosto muito da música do Antony, mas este filme pareceu-me a mais bonita e triste canção dele com duas horas e tal de duração.
February 21, 2011
What a drag, pun intended
January 29, 2011
ok LCC GSA think this might be good??