19% Transcendence Apr 18

—— Unforgettable: Season 3

To Have and Have Not Reviews

Kristijonas F

October 23, 2012
See this Humphrey Bogart classic for two and only two reasons: To witness with your very eyes the incredible sexual chemistry between the legendary actor and his stunning co-star Lauren Bacall (who he met for the first time during the shooting of this film and then went on to marry), and for Walter Brennan's pitch-perfect performance as the likeable rummy Eddie.
Graham J

November 13, 2011
The first of two classic films Howard Hawks did with Bogart and Bacall contains great dialogue and great performances.
AJ V

September 5, 2010
Okay, it's true that this movie is reminiscent of Casablanca because Bogart starts out neutral towards WWII and ends up helping the resistance, but this movie is great too. I loved it and I recommend it.
rubystevens
rubystevens

November 2, 2007
it's not casablanca or even my fave bogie-bacall film but it is their first and has plenty going for it: the terrific chemistry of the leads, the input of faulkner, hemingway and hawks and walter brennan as bogie's drunken first mate, eddie. and it makes me wanna sing with hoagy carmichael and pick pockets at the bar du zombie :D
Conner R

July 11, 2010
I think everyone is strangely reminded of Casablanca while watching this, but I actually think they're two very different movies. Aside from Humphrey Bogart's Harry Morgan being in a foreign land, this is a lot different in terms of style and direction. I feel that this is a way better movie if I had to compare them though, Howard Hawks just does so much more with characterization and showing off the talents of Humphrey Bogart. Add that to the flawless chemistry between him and Lauren Bacall and this becomes a movie you fall in love with rather than admire. I always feel I need to mention Walter Brennan when he shows up in Howard Hawks' movies, he's just so funny and brings all the charm in the world along with his performance. The look of this movie is just too cool, while i'd definitely consider it a film noir it goes in and out depending on the place in the story. It crosses multiple genres and doesn't just stay in one place, I really admire it for doing that.
Jeremy S

June 5, 2006
Yet another classic from Warner Brothers, adapted from an Ernest Hemingway novel, flawessly acted with a great story. By far this is Lauren Bacall's best film, she simply sizzles in her role as slim, no wonder Bogart fell in love with. Their chemistry together is unrivaled. Almost like Casablanca meets A Star Is Born, the star being Bacall and the blanca being Boggie. "You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow."
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

January 29, 2010
To Have and Have Not is based on a story by Ernest Hemingway (it's said Hemingway considered it his worst) and features the big screen debut of Lauren Becall. It might be impossible for a film with names like Howard Hawks, William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway and Humphrey Bogart involved in it to be terrible, but at the same time this film rarely rises above average. Bogart stars as captain Morgan, a seaman who rents his boat out for deep sea fishing expeditions for wealthy playboys. He bases his operations out of a french port in the Caribbean, which is controlled by the Vichy regime at the time (WWII). When members of the French resistance approach him about smuggling some people onto the island, he at first refuses, but soon is sucked into a conflict he has no interest in. At his side are alcholic pal, Eddie (Walter Brennan) and the sexy "slim" (Becall). While there are some great individual scenes, there's not alot of intrigue or suspense (or even romance for that matter) here, and Brennan's character, supposedly the comic relief, is just absolutely grating. Bogart and Becall are great as always, but I'm afraid the material is just too sparse, they just weren't given enough to work with.
flixsterman
flixsterman

December 28, 2008
It's the playful chemistry between Bogart and Bacall that makes this film stand out amongst other pictures of this era. There is warmth and humor here that seems oh so genuine. A true Hollywood classic.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

April 30, 2009
A 5 Star performance by Bogart, Bacall, and Walter Brennan who played Eddie, How could one give the romantic pair anything less. Bacall was a living doll in her day unmatched by any modern day star, all want to bee?s. Bogart plays a small boat captain who gets caught up in the French-German thing. Bacall's final few seconds when she walks away from the piano is Breathtaking now, can't imagine what it did in 1944. Still plenty of after WWII influence. A must see must add movie Like I said 5 Star performance.
Pierluigi P

August 3, 2007
Who could ask for a better cinematic couple than Bogie and Bacall when their chemistry is so obvious that sparks off the screen. great direction, songs, performances, and snappy dialogues.
Luke B

January 2, 2009
Too similar to the superior Casablanca for me. Bogart is back and once again he's stone cold, yet charming. The main reason to watch this is for the chemistry between Bacall and Bogart. Bacall burns up the screen every time she's on it. Pure sex, from the way she moves to the things she says and how she says them. A great set of supporting characters also help proceedings. It's well shot and has some excellent musical moments, but the end felt a bit empty, as though there was one more act to go.
Aaron N

November 14, 2006
Slim: You know you don't have to act with me, Steve. You don't have to say anything, and you don't have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow.

The first collaboration between Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. Its a well done romance thriller, set during war time, which works mainly due to the chemistry between Bogie and Bacall.

The story involves Bogart as Harry "Steve" Morgan, a captain living on the island of Martinique, renting out fishing trips to people. He gets along fairly well with the people, but things get tricky when two new elements arrive, members or French resistance on the run and Bacall's pickpocket romantic interest character.

The story feels very similar to Casablanca in terms of the sort of setting and characters, but its still well done, combining good dialog with the right tone to make it very enjoyable.

[Slim kisses Steve]
Steve: What did you do that for?
Slim: I've been wondering if I'd like it.
Steve: What's the decision?
Slim: I don't know yet.
[They kiss again]
Slim: It's even better when you help.
Jennifer X

June 3, 2008
I think in order to truly enjoy all this sexy chemistry one has to find Bacall attractive, which I do not. This movie will always have comparisons drawn with Casablanca and Casablanca will always win out because Ingrid Bergman's mild-mannered ballsiness to Bacall's blatant sexuality and sometimes butch mannerisms. Even though the ending here is much more joyful and proactive, I think I prefer Casablanca's hazy resignation because it somehow seems like the right thing to do.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

November 21, 2007
this film is very loosely based on the hemingway novel of the same name. the film is phenomenal, the deviations from hemingways novel were mostly for the better as the novel is my least favorite of the 6 hemingway novels i have read, and even hemigway admitted that without the story changes the novel would have never made a good movie. this was a good movie, hawks direction was great and bogart was casual but commanding. bogarts performance was effortless, like he walked in off the street and threw down some attitude for two hours and called it a day, while at the same time he was incredible. he brings films to a new level they couldnt reach without him. great flick.
garyX
garyX

February 25, 2007
Cynical fishing boat captain Humphrey Bogart finds a cause worth fighting for when he becomes embroiled in the affairs of the free french in Martinique during WWII. This film shares a lot of similarities with the superior Casablanca, but it is a much more lively affair, featuring machine gun battles, plenty of local colour, and Bogart's trademark two-fisted tough guy when dealing with the corrupt Vichy stooges. Walter Brennan also sheds his stetson to play Bogie's rummy sidekick and provides the comic relief, but the plot is almost superfluous; this film is all about Bogart and Bacall whose on-screen chemistry positively crackles. The dialogue between them is fantastic, and Bacall is at her most stunning; she is the very definition of sultry. One of the great on (and off!) screen romances.
Ken S

May 1, 2007
This movie smolders with sex...and Walter Brennan is the shit.
Michael G

September 29, 2006
How can you go wrong with Bogart and Bacall together?
Lovable M

November 17, 2008
You do know how to whistle, don't you, Steve?

Probably my favorite Bogie and Bacall movie (alongside The Big Sleep).
Tecnoandre
Tecnoandre

August 2, 2009
Great movie, great performances!
Sunil J

September 13, 2007
A cool love story about a boatsman who stumbles upon some trouble, which leads him to the perfect girl.