To The Wonder Reviews

June 30, 2015
I usually like Terrence Malick's flicks, but not this one. His story narrations are always aims more on the action (not stunts) than the talkings. Besides, spectacular visuals are highlights and his trademark, and again, not in this film. He really tried, but it was so boring movie in the recent time I have seen one. Pardon me to mock him, but I had to say that the film looks like the one what Willem Dafoe trying to make one in 'Mr. Bean's Holiday'. Except here with me there is no Mr Rowan Atkinson/Bean to make the film an exciting with his genuine editings to add some fun stuffs. Sorry, it goes straight to my 'I should have not watched it' list.

2.5/10
June 11, 2015
From Roger Ebert's: "Well,why not? Why must a film explain everything? Why must every motivation be spelled out?"
½ May 16, 2015
By far one of the most touching and beautiful works from Malick. My personal favorite. Although the film is in his traditional wide, ambient style, the movie feels more deeply focused than it appears. It beautifully narrows in on a central theme as the movie progresses and the peak of the mountain draws to a close in the last shot.
May 12, 2015
Such beautiful camerawork in T.M. movies. I could tell one a mile away. Not unlike Tree of Life with those awful suburbs. 'Morti', her friend is so spot on when they go for a walk around the estate. Never see pedestrians in America. The blurred close ups, Drifting from character to character. There is such beauty to listening to the characters thoughts, almost poetic and haunting is the narrative. There is so much beauty in the script it can be picked up upon within further repeat viewings. For a movie so slow, I could seriously watch again. The romance grows and dies and I can feel the characters heat and going off the boil. She is beautiful, wants to be happy and dances too much. I feel like him. I would tire of it. Am I like him?? I wonder. I love Terence Malick films. This got slated but it's what I expected in the style I've become aquainted with. Class
October 10, 2012
The first hour is mesmerizing. The cinematography in Terrence Malick's films is unreal. Sadly, To the Wonder escalates into utter hilarity halfway through. The dialogue gets lame (ex. "What is this love that loves us?") and I couldn't interpret what Malick was trying to say. Disappointing.
March 21, 2015
This is Malick's reigning masterpiece, a film of profound beauty and subtle introspection. Less mystic and more earthy than his recent work, which was going of the rails in some ways away from his strengths, which this film returns. Malick has entered the realm of masters such as Antonioni and Tarkovsky but has a deep humanity that can't be found in some of those classic art films.
February 10, 2015
Two hours of visually arresting but uninspired B-roll. Days of Heaven or The New World, this is not.
January 30, 2015
Terrence Malick directs this romance drama filmed through his creative cinematic eye. Malick's films are often like visual poems, the images are often much more important than any conventional storytelling, and he knows how to shoot, and he edits in a creative way. "To The Wonder" is interesting, and well made, but it is not as interesting as some of his other work. If nothing else, Malick is at least a unique and competent filmmaker.
½ February 3, 2015
Despite what a seeming horde of critics have said about this film, I think it's quite beautiful. Its emotions are honest and its visuals are often breathtaking -- even when the subject in frame is seemingly benign.

I can sympathize with those who lament the presence of apparent Terrence Malick cliches, such as women endlessly and whimsically frolicking all over kingdom come. Perhaps the man has a thing for extremely free-spirited women. Anyway, I'll admit that such moments do take me out of the film as well -- at least momentarily. By the by, there's far too much for me to like here to dismiss this Malick-ian, stream-of-consciousness drama. The actors draw me in with their honest portrayals; and the camera pulls me along with images that can somehow remain both raw/documentary-style, and beautifully cinematic.
January 21, 2015
Without a doubt the most pretencious load of crap ever my misfortune to fast forward through . Thank god I didn't have to pay money and walk out of the cinema.
January 1, 2015
To the Wonder is a beautiful cinematic presentation with poetic verses that tie together a romance. There is little plot in this film and very little seems to actually happen. The drama is in the details and the expressions of the characters; however the problem seems to be that only Malick truly knows what is happening in these moments. The result is having the actors standing around too often or performing gestures of great expression with their bodies as if words were too heavy for the frailty of the films subject, Love.
½ January 1, 2015
A pior sensação que me poderia ocorrer, durante um filme do Terrence Malick, é a de que tinha sido empurrado para uma daquelas divagações arty do Michael Winterbottom ou para as não menos chatas digressões filosóficas do pior Richard Linklater. E, no entanto, é precisamente isso que sinto quando "To the Wonder" respectivamente recorre a mais uma cena de amor só porque sim e quando, de modo totalmente inexplicável, chama uma italiana para nos lembrar de que temos de fazer coisas loucas na vida. De resto, presumo que"To the Wonder" seja o mais perto que alguma vez fiquei de levar um tratamento de ketamina receitado pelo Dr. Terrence Malick: "para ser tomado com elipse após elipse, imagens do céu várias vezes durante dois horas e abundância lírica para nada faltar". "To the Wonder" é um bocado a multiplicação infinita do factor Malick, mas sem saber muito onde deve terminar a equação e começar o filme. A culpa não é sequer de um argumento à partida interessante, no seu paralelo entre as dificuldades de comunicação num casal e num diálogo de um Padre com Deus. Muito se procura em "To the Wonder" e muito pouco se acha também.
½ December 8, 2013
esperando Knight of Cups, que se ve mejor.
December 18, 2014
Terrence Malick- fuck off please.
½ December 16, 2014
Melkonen taidepläjäys, mutta hienosti tehty. Kovin kummosta juonta ei ole kehitelty, mutta kerronta on omaa luokkaansa. "Tunnelma" on tämän elokuvan teema.
December 15, 2014
To The Wonder is a masterpiece. Dialogue is not necessary. The amazing cast certainly gives the movie impact. I watched this for a second time yesterday. Because there is no real dialogue the story is open to some interpretation. To The Wonder is a very beautiful film. The post apocalyptic like American suburban landscape is frightening. The American countryside is stunning. The bison are stars on their own; the scenes with Ben and Rachel with the bison are extraordinary.
December 15, 2014
Even duller and more pointless than The Tree of Life...and that's saying something.

I watched this because it was directed by Terrence Malick. You would
think I would have learned by now: of his last two movies, The New
World was so-so and The Tree of Life was pretentious, dull and
drawn-out beyond belief.

Yet I keep hoping he'll snap out of this pretentious phase and go back
to making good movies. His first three movies, Badlands, Days of Heaven
and The Thin Red Line, were great, the latter especially so.

No such luck. To The Wonder is even worse than The Tree of Life. More
pretentious, more pointless and duller.

The one positive thing you can rely on from Malick - the cinematography
- is still there, but that's all. However, it is becoming a crutch. His
method of film-making seems to be: choose a scenic location, film it
from different angles, throw in some people talking and acting
randomly, Viola! we have a movie. Don't worry about plot, theme or even
being coherent, as the critics will swoon at the cinematography and
call the movie "art".

Last time I watch a movie simply because it is directed by Terrence
Malick.
½ November 9, 2014
With a no touching, boring and with a lot of cliches narrative Terrence Malick's bring to us a movie that don't demonstrate the good cast qualities.
½ November 9, 2014